Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #61
colemanapp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I was wrong on that tank size. Its closer to 2.4 gallons.
colemanapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #62
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
According to the specs online its supposedly 2.6, but real world conditions... Yeah 2.4 is more reasonable...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #63
colemanapp
Gnarly Adventurer

How bout that clutch? Those have some seriously weak clutches. I'd start with a fresh set of plates and some stronger springs.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #64
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanapp View Post
How bout that clutch? Those have some seriously weak clutches. I'd start with a fresh set of plates and some stronger springs.
Thats exactly what i did... Last summer i swapped out new ebc plates and heavy duty springs... Much better clutch, yet its not a hard lever pull either...
Old 02-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #65
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Heres a closeish shot of how i mounted thebspeedo sensor from the vapor... The sensor is actually mounted backwards compared to the "proper" way, but still functions flawlessly... You can also see how i epoxied the magnet over one of the spoke holes...

Old 02-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #66
MCRatworks
Oil Burning Suzuki!!

Oddometer: 25
Hey Bogie,
Is there any reason why you mounted it on the brake side of the hub?

I mounted mine on the other side, in a `less busy` part of the wheel. However, like you, I mounted mine over one of the spoke holes. I used RTV, as it`s easily reversible.

I simply made a bracket out of aluminium stock (No, the extra `I` in aluminium is not a typo! - fun with languages!)

My setup is not as tidy as yours, cable ties look ugly, but . Works exceptionally though!

Dave
Old 02-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #67
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

I ran mine on that side because the brake cable is there... I just tiewrapped the sensor cable right along with the brake cable and its nice and clean, and i know it wont get snagged since i have never snagged the brake cable....and i didnt feel like fifuring out a bracket to get the sensor close enough to work from the fork... Its right there with the brake hub...LOL thats all...
Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 AM   #68
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
2 gas tanks to 1 oil tank, that sounds better.

My clutch seems ok right now, bike has 6k miles on it. No idea what the service life on them is, plus the plates are 34 years old. Maybe I should do the clutch before I leave.

I'm drooling over the Vapor. Too bad my money is tight right now.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #69
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Inwould do clutxh and springs.... All it takes is one cycle to overheat the springs... Then they are gone... I did my plates and springs because they slipped bad at just over 1000 mi....
Old 02-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #70
colemanapp
Gnarly Adventurer

with 6000 miles (if it hasn't been done yet) I'd put a new ring in it and for your trip, I'd throw a piston in there too. Mine threw up after 7500 miles with at least half those miles spent WIDE OPEN.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #71
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bike has a fresh piston and overbore/plating. Haven't even run one tank through it since it's been back together. Bike is now 101cc vs the stock 99cc and has all the power (Clarkson voice) in the wurld (/Clarkson voice).
Old 02-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #72
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,083
Is this bike chrome linered bore or is it an iron cylinder?

If it's truly iron, then I'd be a real gentle with the break-in. Plus having done a few long trips on sub 200 cc bikes, I can echo the part about doing the trip at the bike's pace.

A 101cc bike is not going to be able to run 50-55 mph happily all day. On my Lifan-Yamha the happy cruising speed was about 38~43 mph and I got about 95 to 100 MPG consistently.

Two strokes, especially small displacement ones do seem to like to run fast for their size, but they put out nearly twice the heat of a similar displacement 4 stroke. That heat can build up when climbing big hills, as a trail bike they're really more in their element because of the throttle is used in 'blips' so to speak. Nearly full throttle for a few seconds at a time, with part throttle 'coasting'.

Choose your route for traffic and speed wisely.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #73
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Love the idea of this adventure.....I have wonder for a few years if I should buy myself a small cc'd machine......my problem is it wouldn't stay small for long......lol. But the idea of doing something out of the ordinary is facinating to me....don't quit the adventure!!!
From what I can see of the shape of the bike, not knowing anything about it, wouldn't one of those large plastic tanks fit the frame or even one from lets say a dr 650 or something? Better than carrying a fuel cell, maybe?
I would make the mechanics as strong as you possible can though....something I'm all into on any machine I have....just to kill any possible issues while on the road.
Excellent!!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #74
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

According to the website "Millennium Technologies uses the highest quality Nickel-Silicon Carbide (NSC) plating in the industry." It sure was pretty when I got it back. I'm being gentle on it for the first several tanks.

I had to replace the piston and have the cylinder repaired due to the piston pin circlip coming out of its groove and getting caught between the piston and the cylinder wall. To date nobody has been able to give me a definite reason how this happened.

On flat ground around here the bike seems pretty happy cruising at 50 mph without a draft vehicle and 55 hasn't been a problem following bigger vehicles 2.5-3 seconds back. Monitoring engine heat is the main reason I would really like to install a Vapor before this trip.

I will be inspecting the bike before I leave, but I know break downs are a part of life. My goal is to meet my wife in Washington and I will do my best to do so, but if things go wrong in a major way I just have to wait around a few days for her to pick me up on her way back home.

All this talk about the trip just makes me want to ride sooo much. Sunny and 8 degrees out today. Might have to take it out for a ride. Maybe take some pics of it to post.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #75
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Brrrrr

Cold, but good ride. Maybe 30 minutes total.