Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 04:28 AM   #16
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,750
It doesn't look like the carhartt will stay buttoned in any kind of a get-off. Coats and pants also need to keep the armor in the areas it is intended to protect. A loose fitting garment w/o straps or belts to snug it up won't do it. As always, this is just my opine and YMMV. FWIW, I am an expert level crasher...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #17
AC909 OP
Great Job!

Oddometer: 949
this thread is REALLY not going where I hoped. This isn't a critique what I am going to do thread as I am fully aware of the pitfalls of this jacket. I simply wanted to see if anyone had done anything similar to anything else and if it worked out for them. I guess I shouldn't have posted anything about the Carhartt deal but I thought it would give people an idea of the kind of stuff I was interested in seeing/hearing about.
I've got a closet full of proper motorcycle jackets and other gear and I would never recommend such a thing for a person looking for their main piece of gear or something for serious riding.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:50 AM   #18
AC909 OP
Great Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I picked up a Carhartt arctic suit, 1000 denier treated cordura, $25 or so to a tailor to sew in armour pockets and I had myself a cheap roadcrafter. A roadcrafter by the way is only 500 denier, it's 1000 in the impact areas, but not really, it's two layers of 500d.

Anyway, it was waterproof, and VERY warm.
That sounds awesome! Besides not having any exhaust or intake vents for hot weather I'm sure that worked out about as well as a Aerostich.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 AM   #19
AC909 OP
Great Job!

These guys have some really slick stuff if someone was trying to make an adventure type jacket. At the price point you have a lot of motorcycle specific options but still this gear is pretty slick looking. Some of their jackets even have built in armor of some kind.
http://www.kitanica.net/
Old 01-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #20
scooterintexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Perhaps this is a silly question for you wise old vets, but how do you go about sewing in pockets for armor? I assume they are on the inside of the jacket/pants? How does that affect fit and water resistance?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #21
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterintexas View Post
Perhaps this is a silly question for you wise old vets, but how do you go about sewing in pockets for armor? I assume they are on the inside of the jacket/pants? How does that affect fit and water resistance?
Most jackets are more than one layer; the armor pockets would be sewn onto the innermost layer without penetrating any waterproof membrane (with any removable linings removed). Obviously the fit would have to be such that there is enough room for the armor to fit snugly.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote