User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
OSULemon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Knee braces vs knee guards, no previous knee injuries

I took a bit of a spill riding woods a few weeks ago, got a minor fracture in my wrist. Because I was only wearing a roost guard for impact protection, I'm re-evaluating my gear. The area I was riding in was extremely rocky, and I'm lucky I didn't bust a kneecap.

I know I can get a nice pair of guards for around $90 or so, but is it worth springing for a nice set of braces, such as EVS or Asterik? I'm young and have never hurt my knees before, but I don't want to cheap out if it'll prevent a devastating knee injury.

I also need a good impact rig, but I can research that.
OSULemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,681
I'm at the other end of the spectrum -- in my 60s, with knees held together with cat gut and good intentions . . . . .I picked up a pair of asterisk braces from an inmate here . . . they've saved, at the least, 6 months of hobbling that I know of, and perhaps a bit more. . . . .

If I could swing it, I'd get braces. Babyheads look pretty awful, from a knee-level-view.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
OSULemon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
I'm at the other end of the spectrum -- in my 60s, with knees held together with cat gut and good intentions . . . . .I picked up a pair of asterisk braces from an inmate here . . . they've saved, at the least, 6 months of hobbling that I know of, and perhaps a bit more. . . . .

If I could swing it, I'd get braces. Babyheads look pretty awful, from a knee-level-view.
I'm sure gonna try for braces. Might grab some used ones if I can.
OSULemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSULemon View Post
I'm sure gonna try for braces. Might grab some used ones if I can.
Good thinking.

Oh, and ear plugs.

And, don't forget sunscreen!

;-}
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
i'm in my 40s, with good knees considering i've been riding/racing/falling-off motorcycles for over 30 years now.

unless i'm just playing around in a field without rocks, i wear knee guards. Either soft (3DO or forcefield, depending on the pants) or hard (currently A*).

Haven't worn knee braces in a long time... just personal preference mixed with a healthy amount of luck. I wore braces when I was younger, faster and wasn't afraid of getting huge air. Now I'm older, slower and have 4 kids. Feel that guards are the right mix of sufficient and convenient for me. In all reality, if it's not convenient, I'm probably not going to do it every time.

oh... and a huge +1 on ear plugs! until a couple years ago i could count on one hand how many times i wore ear plugs on a motorcycle. is someone gonna get that? (hears phone ringing all the time)
Old 01-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
red rider 391
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Braces ! You said you were young ,If you want good knee's when you get old . Wear the knee braces Now !
Old 01-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I used to use cheap Fox knee guards. They saved me from many bruises, and I liked the paddling they offered for squeezing the tank with my knees. But then I tipped over in some rocks and my leg got pinned between a rock and the footpeg. The guard helped, but not as much as I would have liked.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...=knee%20guards

A short time later my buddy crashed and tore the ligaments in this knee. Luckily he was able to ride back to the truck, but that ended our 3-day trip on day one. He now wears some high-end knee braces.

I wanted something that offered knee and shin protection from bruises, but also some bracing for a lateral hit to the knee. I ended up buying some Leatt Dual Axis Knee Guards. They seemed like a good compromise to me:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...m=leatt%20knee

FamilyRider screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 03:12 PM
FamilyRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
BISHOP
Roadracer goes Dual

Oddometer: 294
I've been wearing cheap $20 knee guards for years and they are way better than nothing and have saved my knees a few times. But, for the type riding I do I should be more serious about taking care of the knees/shins. Thanks for the reminder. Just ordered a pair of the Leatt Dual Axis Guards!
BISHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
I have an ACL, MCL and PCL repair on my right knee.

I asked my knee doc, who was a rider and specialized in sports ortho.

About knee braces and what I should do. He laughed and said workout, folly my PT and get my leg strong.
The braces could be used if I felt like I needed it, but that they wouldn't really help that much.

He made sure my astricks fit and sent me on my way.

Today when I ride off road I use acerbies knee pads and I use the neoprene with metal hinges when I snow board.

But I'm a mellow rider these days.

I wouldn't suggest someone else do this, I'm just mentioning what works for me.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
The Wolf
Among The Living

Oddometer: 306
im 28 years old. a year ago i blew my right knee out doing a hill climb. i mean BLEW MY SHIT OUT! i cant urge ppl enough to just spend a little bit of money on some, atleast decent, braces. my right knee wobbles horribly and will for the rest of my life. im a big and strong guy, but with my knee the way it is im probably half of what i used to be.

all i habd on was knee guards, didnt do shit when my bike decided to take my leg down with it. i can count atleast ten times since wearing braces that my braces have my left knee or kept me from further injuring my right.

i wear fox k700's
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Any protection is better than no protection. Braces if you can afford them. Be careful about what braces you purchase. They need to fit correctly and they need to give or break in certain situations. My sons raced motocross for 6 yrs to 17 yrs. My oldest son wore Donjoys for several years. They were custom fit and doctor prescribed. They were so rigid that the braces actually broke my sons femur in a Loretta qualifier one year. We used composite braces since then.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #12
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,721
I've worn braces for the last 20 years, but I should have worn them before that. I feel naked riding off road without them. Your knees are the first thing to go off roading the sooner you get knee braces the better.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #13
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Wish I had at least pads over the weekend. Went over the bars and my knee hit the center of the handle bar hard enought to take the pad off. Now I have a decent bruise on the inside of my right knee. Fortunately it isn't sore now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,234
Lots of threads on this . My summary from what i have read and experienced is .
For your average trail rider good quality knee guards are a must and best for anyonr with no pre existing damage.. leatt dual axis , averbis x strong, thor force.
More expensive knee braced will give more protection against ligament damage but i have seen a mate have a small slow speed tip over where bike went down on his leg . Weight of bike connected with pod braces and he ended up with 3 breaks and spiral fracture where brace ended . All the pressure transferred to the bottom of his carbon brace . I saw this happen before my eyes. Was surprised at the damage and always felt his knee / leg would have faired better with a good guard . There will be many with opposite experiences i am sure .
Buy the best you can afford and make sure they are comfortable or you wont wear them .