User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
1reddawg OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Hippo Hands

Any input on Hippo Hands.After riding home from work the other day when it was 9 degrees out,my heated grips didnt do a thing,I am seriously thinking of getting a pair,I know they are going out of Buisness,they still have some for my Bike in stock.Have did a search and came up with zilch on this site.So any input would be Greatly Appreciated.
As always
Thanks
Reddawg
Old 01-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,238
Try google search "hippo hands advrider" It's been discussed. As a matter of fact, halfway down this page they're being discussed.
There are other brands available. I had to have an upholstery shop make a pair for my bike. Due to my mods on the R H/bar nothing would fit. For me it's the only way to go to keep my hands warm & dry. I also have heated grips, so all I need are summer gloves.
You say your grips didn't do a thing? I have the symtec grid type on mine. They're plenty hot on low with the handle bar gauntlets. They should be on a relay to be sure all available electricity gets to them.

Motomantra screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 08:23 PM
Motomantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
1reddawg OP
Beastly Adventurer

My Grips were on high and within a mile or so my hands were just about numb.I dont see the thread for Hippo Hands on this page,Care to share a link?

1reddawg screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 08:39 PM
1reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,394
I was lucky enough to get a set of Hippos, but if I ever need a new set I would probably try the Tucano Urbano.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tucan...ndlebar-muffs/
Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
DualMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I've got a set, at those temps they aren't going to help much (my experience is that heated grips are useless below 40F if your moving good).

If you don't heat your core your fighting a loosing battle, when your core gets cold your body starts cutting off circulation to your extremities.
DualMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
p51bombay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Get some Gerbing gloves - best money I ever spent on riding gear and can't believe I waited. NEVER will you have cold hands again, soon you'll want a jacket liner and more. Great stuff.
p51bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1reddawg View Post
My Grips were on high and within a mile or so my hands were just about numb.I dont see the thread for Hippo Hands on this page,Care to share a link?
Sorry, I apologize. I had another "senior moment" & got confused with the discussion on heated grips.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51bombay View Post
Get some Gerbing gloves - best money I ever spent on riding gear and can't believe I waited. NEVER will you have cold hands again, soon you'll want a jacket liner and more. Great stuff.
This would be a great way to go, except my hands sweat too easily with heated gloves. If it works for you, that's great.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
SamRus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I heard the brand name Hippo Hands are great!
The concept of hand mitts is also fantatstic, as long as you have some sort of handguard to prevent the wind from pushing the muffs onto your levers.
SamRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1reddawg View Post
Any input on Hippo Hands.After riding home from work the other day when it was 9 degrees out,my heated grips didnt do a thing,I am seriously thinking of getting a pair,I know they are going out of Buisness,they still have some for my Bike in stock.Have did a search and came up with zilch on this site.So any input would be Greatly Appreciated.
As always
Thanks
Reddawg
Get em while you can. I sold mine recently thinking I could find a good cold weather glove and I was wrong. I could wear summer gloves under my HH's in the winter. They only work well IMO if you have heated grips and handguards.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
Just got a pair after bitching & complaining about how my heated gloves are doing jack shit in single-digit temps on my commute. Please take this with a grain of salt as my commute is:
  • on a scooter
  • I never get going faster than 35-40 mph
  • it's all of 4 miles
  • and I'm an "always cold" skinny girl
  • BUT it's been absolutely brutal here (-11F windchill the other day)

I've ridden with them 3 days now. Each morning has been single digits. With heated gloves on high (these are battery-operated, not connected to the bike's battery so "high" is not screaming hot), my hands would be at "not screaming in pain and nowhere near warm." With the addition of the Hippo Hands, my hands are warm and pink, even the middle finger on my left hand that is always blue. I've actually enjoyed the last three mornings of commuting instead of getting to work and thinking, "I should really get a car."

I made two posts on my blog (with pictures) about them (here and here). I am frugal and had a hard time swallowing what I thought was a high price tag, but:
  • they do their job
  • they're well-made
  • they fit the scooter's weird headset
  • they're stiff and open so I don't freak out putting my hand in and out (I'm a hand-signaller, and you would be, too, if you rode a scooter)
  • the customer service I received from Dan the owner was top-notch.
  • And he's not making money on the shipping costs. Canada Post is.

New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
1reddawg OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well after hearing your all's input ,i'm gonna get a pair and see what happens.I'll let you know how it goes, but i got a feeling i will be pleased with them.
Thank You again
Reddawg
Old 01-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 1,005
I bought 2 pair of them , for mine and my wife's klr 650s they work well to keep the wind and cold off your hands , also work well to keep the rain off your hands . On and off quick and easy . I found that they also fit on my vstrom 1000 , I haven't tried fitting them to the wifes vstrom 650 but I expect that they will work .
worth the money in my opinion .
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
mcstark
KaTooM convert

Oddometer: 1,058
They will not win you any style points, but wearing summer gloves all year is worth it.

They are made by a class act in Ontario, Canada. He's retiring now, so order them while you can.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
Black is the new orange
mcstark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #15
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
Just got a pair after bitching & complaining about how my heated gloves are doing jack shit in single-digit temps on my commute. Please take this with a grain of salt as my commute is:
  • on a scooter
  • I never get going faster than 35-40 mph
  • it's all of 4 miles
  • and I'm an "always cold" skinny girl
  • BUT it's been absolutely brutal here (-11F windchill the other day)

I've ridden with them 3 days now. Each morning has been single digits. With heated gloves on high (these are battery-operated, not connected to the bike's battery so "high" is not screaming hot), my hands would be at "not screaming in pain and nowhere near warm." With the addition of the Hippo Hands, my hands are warm and pink, even the middle finger on my left hand that is always blue. I've actually enjoyed the last three mornings of commuting instead of getting to work and thinking, "I should really get a car."

I made two posts on my blog (with pictures) about them (here and here). I am frugal and had a hard time swallowing what I thought was a high price tag, but:
  • they do their job
  • they're well-made
  • they fit the scooter's weird headset
  • they're stiff and open so I don't freak out putting my hand in and out (I'm a hand-signaller, and you would be, too, if you rode a scooter)
  • the customer service I received from Dan the owner was top-notch.
  • And he's not making money on the shipping costs. Canada Post is.

Hippo Hands just plain work. If you are riding in winter temps, just get them. . ..
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote