User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
tncpowell OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Insurance

We (my wife and myself) are just beginning to plan our open ended round the world trip. We are intending on starting in January 2017. A while away I know, but we want to cover all the bases. We havent decided on bikes yet but its looking like our options will be a choice of KLR650, DR650, BMW 650's, or one of the Yamaha 660's (XT660R probably).

We will have many questions Im sure so I will ask if I cant find any answers with the search function.

What do you guys do for insurance on a RTW trip? Is there any comprehensive type of insurance around to cover us for bike theft etc on an international trip? I know we have to get third party at or before each border crossing.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,341
a big, big subject, but here΄s my short version:

- for "1st world"/"western" countries, you can insure your vehicle for 3rd party, and usually even with comprehensive insurance if you like.

- for other countries, you maybe buy something at the borders, or not... and then you try your best to make it extremely certain, that you won΄t ever be involved in a traffic accident, cos you might find out, that that ΄border insurance΄ wasn΄t worth the paper it΄s printed on, and you΄re neck deep in trouble!! And of course, if your bike is totalled, stolen, burnt, sank into a river or whatever, it΄s buy buy that money...

But my research is about 5 yrs old now, and this kind of travel has become more and more popular, so maybe something has already changed. You could ask at least these two companies (for me, Alessie offered a 3rd party traffic insurance valid for most, but not all countries on my 2007-2008 trip from Europe to Australia - it was too expensive for me, though, so I did not take it):

www.alessie.com

www.tourinsure.de

(..this insurance/RTW thing has been an interesting dilemma for a long time, so if it turns out, that my info IS actually outdated, please correct me!)
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW

Pecha72 screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 06:36 AM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Thumb ask this guy

Ask "RTW Doug". Go here www.motosapiens.org Doug knows insurance and he has done it all.

Not a commercial - just a happy customer.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #4
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
A cheaper bike?

My philosophy on insurance is to insure only what I can't afford to lose. Therefore I travel overseas on the cheaper type of bike, and do not have comprehensive insurance, only the mandatory insurance like the green card in Europe. This also reduces the cost of a carnet de passage if required.
We have to make our own decisions, but just as long as the bike is reliable, I'm happy.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #5
tncpowell OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMark View Post
My philosophy on insurance is to insure only what I can't afford to lose. Therefore I travel overseas on the cheaper type of bike, and do not have comprehensive insurance, only the mandatory insurance like the green card in Europe. This also reduces the cost of a carnet de passage if required.
We have to make our own decisions, but just as long as the bike is reliable, I'm happy.
Yeah mate, this is what we are realising very quickly. Simple and cheap. I currently have a 2012 KLR so will probably get a new one of them. Wifey rides a DR650 buttttttt she is considering a KLR also after having ridden mine. We are hoping to be on the road for 8-10 years. Not sure on the longevity of the KLR is my only concern.

Also our plan at this stage is to fly from Oz to LA and buy bikes there, kit them out and then do a lap of US,Canada, alaska, and South America.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,794
I'd be more concerned about liability insurance. That's where your biggest potential loss is. Bikes are dirt cheap compared to what a liability issue can do to you financially, not to mention potential jail time.