User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
Charmin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Subscribed.

I hope you dont have any issue because of that camo paint.
Charmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #32
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 808
Looking forward to more reporting

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #33
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooter View Post
good read-i really like your report....tell me do they have zero bars and dr pepper down there for a guy who does not like anything mexican in regards to the food other than fish tacos?...i could do baja may be someday and could survive for multiple weeks on zero bars and dr pepper....if no zero bars i could carry my own i guess and well may be find a few fish tacos,,but fish tacos in the states are generally like eating rubber from a recycled mickey thompson tire...just askin as i do not like any food that is mexican other than a good authentic fish taco...god speed
Snooter, I'm not sure if you're pulling my leg... I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and guess you're not. If you don't like Mexican food, Mexico is going to be difficult. The alternative to native food is junk food, which is as plentiful here as it is in the states. And you really don't want that as a steady diet. I don't want to preach, but the fun in visiting another country is to experience the differences, and to let yourself go a little. So, give it a try... you'll find things you like to eat... go for it!
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #34
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Beer'd View Post
Awesome trip so far! I have to follow along!
Thanks Red Beer'd, glad to have you along!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #35
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Looking forward to more reporting
And more reporting you'll have, Jick Magger! Thank you.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #36
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmin View Post
Subscribed.

I hope you dont have any issue because of that camo paint.
I hope so too. I've been though a number of check points and get waved right through. The bike, on the whole, couldn't look more Gringo than it already does. There's something about being whiter than the native population that sets us apart... and there's nothing we can do about it. A short story... Last winter while traveling in Mexico for the first time, I would walk into an establishment and before I said a word, I was addressed in English, not Spanish. I seriously wondered how they knew. I finally asked and was told, "your white, and you look white"... OK, so now I get it. Even my camo paint job can't cover that up. That said, if I have any issues because of the paint, I will mention it for sure.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #37
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Sayulita

Jim: If you go to Sayulita also check out San Francisco (known locally as San Pancho) just a few miles N on the water. It's still sort of the way Sayulita was before it got so popular.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #38
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackjack View Post
Hey Jim, Jack in FC here. This is my 1st ever post. Wish I was with you in the warm weather! Its still in the 20's here. I just got a 2013 DR650 and am installing the skid plate and other armor when the temp gets above freezing. Have fun but take care. Come back and visit this summer
Good to hear from you Jack. Congrats on the first post... truth be told, I do a lot of lurking and little posting. Welcome news on the DR, I think you're going to like it. And I'll be back for a visit this summer, no doubt about it! Thanks for the good wishes.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #39
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Day 5 - Mazatlán To Sayulite

Didn't make it to Puerto Vallarta. Just didn't want to stay in the big city, so I stopped short. I left Mazatlán after breakfast at Machado Fish Taco on the Plaza... around 9. The first several hours were unexciting road and scenery, but it was nice to be back on the bike. Had lunch at a stand by a Pemex, after fueling up. I think I was justified being a bit concerned about the food quality... check out their setup. Not to worry though, the chile was good... chunks of pork in red sauce, with rice and beans... fresh tortillas. Serious fuel for me!

Took 15 south, staying on the libre when there was an option. The riding got interesting once I turned off for San Blas. The town of San Blas is worthwhile checking out. Unfortunately, I didn't stop for pics, feeling like I had to make some miles. But I did film it with my new toy, a GoPro. So when I get it together, I'll post some videos. The riding from San Blas to Sayulita was fun... in and out of the jungle/forest with some twisties and sweepers as the road cut through the some hilly areas. Again, I took some video.

I had some expectations as to what I'd find in Sayulita, a beach town with quite a few Canadians and U.S. But I was disappointed to see what appeared to be more whites than Mexicans. Yes, the town is colorful, with narrow cobbled streets and pleasing architecture, but damn, this place feels too familiar. I nearly got back on my bike after stopping by the plaza for a break. But the decision was made to stay once I found a hotel recommendation just around the corner. It was late afternoon and I was tired... I soon realized I made the right choice. Here are a few pics of the streets and beach.

I'm staying at Petite Hotel Hafa, just around the corner from the plaza. It's quite nice and over my budget... but every once in a while it's nice to mix it up. And for dinner I had the absolute best Pollo Enchiladas Mole at Yeikame, an authentic Mexican Restaurant. I'm not a big fan of food pics, but I'm breaking the rules.

And finally, here are my tracks for the day. I can't explain why some are spaced so far apart... I wasn't riding THAT fast!

jrzyguy screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 05:53 PM
Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #40
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtop1 View Post
Jim: If you go to Sayulita also check out San Francisco (known locally as San Pancho) just a few miles N on the water. It's still sort of the way Sayulita was before it got so popular.
Dan, I will check it out in the morning... thanks.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #41
snooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy View Post
Snooter, I'm not sure if you're pulling my leg... I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and guess you're not. If you don't like Mexican food, Mexico is going to be difficult. The alternative to native food is junk food, which is as plentiful here as it is in the states. And you really don't want that as a steady diet. I don't want to preach, but the fun in visiting another country is to experience the differences, and to let yourself go a little. So, give it a try... you'll find things you like to eat... go for it!
yea i would have to partake of mexican food..but really have no taste for it other than authentic fish tacos...i would suffer thru it as i would like to ride baja some day-god speed
snooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #42
Charmin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtop1 View Post
+1

San Francisco is a very nice place to go.

If at some point of your travel you are in Guadalajara dont hesitate to contact me for any help.
Charmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #43
trackbug
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Stuck In Jersey Snow

Hi Jim...glad to see you're on your way once again. Keep the pics and commentary coming. I'd love to join you next trip south. That or a self guided trip through Europe.
trackbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #44
newtomex
newtomex

Oddometer: 4
new to mexico

my wife and I are planning on going to San diego and ride the cost the fist of April. We also wanted to spend the day in mexico just to say we have been there on a bike. We were going to Tijuana probably just to shope and eat. I feel it is safe enough. do you here anything. I have driven car in before and just parked at a parking garage. do you feel that is safe enough for my bike. any suggestions?
newtomex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #45
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtomex View Post
my wife and I are planning on going to San diego and ride the cost the fist of April. We also wanted to spend the day in mexico just to say we have been there on a bike. We were going to Tijuana probably just to shope and eat. I feel it is safe enough. do you here anything. I have driven car in before and just parked at a parking garage. do you feel that is safe enough for my bike. any suggestions?
Unless you particularly want to see TJ, I rec. going to Tecate instead. It's just east along a great moto road, hwy 94, the crossing is easy, nice little park a couple of blocks from the border with an OK, not great, restaurant then a much easier return to the US than the border crossing at TJ. It's a pleasant, small town. You can also do the Tecate beer tour. The brewery is only 2 blocks from the little park. Be happy to to give you any help you might need/want when you're in San Diego. Dan