Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #91
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
Something tells me that I would have been in there dancing with them trying to get my Salsa and Merengue moves in order.

Great Pics.. keep them coming. I now understand why those who travel Mexico enjoy reading and viewing new Ride reports. A lot of "Flashbacks" take place as you see places that have been visited.
It's good that some of us are dancers... I can only wish! Enjoy the memories!
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #92
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Day 17 - Xela to Chichicastenango (Chichi)

My ride to Chichi was leisurely, along sweeping roads through the mountains. My timing worked out without planning... arriving Saturday, the set-up day for Sunday's indigenous market, when Maya traders come in from the outlying areas. I headed for the market as soon as the bike was unpacked. I'll visit it again early tomorrow, before the busloads of tourists arrive. By the time they hit town, I'll be on the road.

Setting up the market is a huge production. The individual booths are assembled with thin poles and plastic tarps.

The goods are carried in by hand... by back is more accurate. The straps or rope securing the load, wrap around the carrier's forehead. It's not OSHA approved, but it enables a very heavy load to be handled.

Young children are carried by their mothers in a wrap of fabric. Again, very effective.

By late afternoon, food preparation and eating became the priority. Makeshift kitchens were set up using handmade wood burning grilles, complete with tables and benches. Wood is the fuel for heat and cooking.

There were handmade tortillas being made and toasted everywhere. While walking through the Market, I could hear hand-slapping noises all around as they were formed.

It was soon dark, but the food vending continued outside.

Shortly after 7 AM I was nearing the Market. Since last night the vendors have overflowed from the central market into the surrounding streets. It was a scene of organized chaos... the traffic was quietly considerate of one another.

I couldn't hear clearly what was being said, but I think it was something about getting the guy on the camo bike! I've got to get out of here

jrzyguy screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 10:51 AM
Old 02-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #93
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Day 18 - Chichicastenango to San Marcos La Laguna

The road to Chichi is a tight mountain road, filled with twisties, hairpins, and a great deal of elevation change. As I was leaving town, a steady parade of vehicles was heading for the market. There's another chicken bus arriving... I think I may have been a bus driver in a former life...

And here's another bus that couldn't slow down to make a tight downhill left-hander. He ran up the bank and over he went.

After reading about the towns around Lago de Atitlán, I chose the quieter and more scenic San Marcos La Laguna. It was more difficult to reach... down some steep, washed out sections of road. But it was worth it. This pic is my first sighting of the Lago... sweet!

And another soon after to the west.

This is the entrance to San Marcos La Laguna... cost me 2 quetzales to enter.

The Hotel Salini is where I'm staying.

And these are my digs... very cool little wood shack!

Check out my views... not too shabby! Through the closed window, obviously.

And opened...

I plan to visit the other towns around the Lago tomorrow. And this is how I'll travel... water taxi.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 11:02 AM
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #94
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Awesome pics!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #95
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Awesome pics!
Thanks docwyte. I enjoy taking them... and they keep me plugged-in!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #96
barbarosa
TwoWheelsGood

Oddometer: 30
Wait thats not your duc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy View Post
My lady friend (Julie) and I have just completed our move to San Diego. We're settled in our new apartment, which makes it a fine time for me to do some exploring. So I'm off to Mexico and Guatemala, and maybe as far south as Nicaragua. I expect to be on the road 4-6 weeks.

This is my ride, a '09 DR650 with a custom Camo paint job by yours truly.

I expect to hit the road tomorrow morning (Thursday, Feb. 6th) and enter Mexico the following morning, crossing at Nogales. I'll be posting pics along the way. That's it for now... I've got to finish packing!
barbarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #97
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarosa View Post
Wait thats not your duc
Hey Justin, I wouldn't choose to bring the Multistrada to mainland Mexico or Guatemala. There are lots of big Beemers down here though. But for me, the DR is the perfect size bike... it's maneuverable, light enough to roll in and out of hotels, and has plenty of passing power relative to other vehicles. Perfecto!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #98
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Day 19 - Hangin' in San Marcos La Laguna

It was a slow paced day in San Marcos. In my wanderings around this small village, I discovered that much of the town is found down walkways that lead from the Main Street down to the water's edge... restaurants, hotels, tiendas, etc.

My view during breakfast and while I updated my RR.

This was my view with lunch...

I've met many people here who came for a day or a week, and stayed for months or years. This is the dock where the water taxi (lancha) stops. San Marcos La Laguna is a very relaxed place!

Water, vs. roads, is the best way to get around. Leaving the dock...

I'm with my peeps here, commuting.

A look out the back...

I visited a smaller village a bit east of San Marcos... much the same, only smaller. Tomorrow, I'll head to Antigua.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 04:07 PM
Old 02-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #99
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
They have an awesome jumping platform over the lake in San Marcos, I'm guessing 10 meters above the water. Check it out if you haven't.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #100
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Great photos, Great RR.
I'm a bit jealous, but it's my turn soon.
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #101
m_p_w
Unfunempolyed

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy View Post
After reading about the towns around Lago de Atitlán, I chose the quieter and more scenic San Marcos La Laguna. It was more difficult to reach... down some steep, washed out sections of road. But it was worth it. This pic is my first sighting of the Lago... sweet!
I forgot about that road down into San Marcos. What a blast!

Loving the photos, Jim. So awesome to see Guate again; I love that place. Keep the photos coming!
m_p_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #102
m_p_w
Unfunempolyed

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt View Post
they have an awesome jumping platform over the lake in san marcos, i'm guessing 10 meters above the water. Check it out if you haven't.
+1
m_p_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #103
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,616
sweet! spent some time in san pedro & pana, plus visited santiago but never made it to san marcos.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #104
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Andy, I'm packed and having breakfast before rolling out of town, so the platform will be jumped from next trip. It's good to have something to dream about!

Dan, Thanks, glad you're enjoying the pics. I like your Tom Robbins quote... my dad often told me "where your thoughts are today, that's where you'll be tomorrow", and I think he was right!

Matt, Each day in Guate I am seeing and feeling why you liked it so much. And I'm excited to have lots more to check out. I like traveling solo, but it would be awesome to be in your company now. Thanks bro!

Bill, At least we overlapped in San Pedro. I intended to take the laucha to Pana and Santiago, but got caught up in the pace of San Marcos... next time!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #105
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Antigua

Check your PM