Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #271
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebiodiesel View Post
You know how new guys always have outlandish ideas? Unfortunately you are about to hear another one.

While at the Ryan Young class we ran a short trials section where we applied some of what we had learned during the day. A lot of us noobs really enjoyed that, and I know I'm not alone in the fact that I sure would have liked to do some more.

I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy the rest of the class, or question the format at all. That is definitely not the case, but it did get me thinking, so I would like to see what others thought about it.

I think it would be cool to have a bunch of sections laid out just like an actual trials event. It would have different paths for the various skill levels, so you could choose to ride within your skill set, or ride above it, and get coaching on what you did correctly and incorrectly. I know that that kind of activity would help my riding immensely because when I goof up, I don't know what I did incorrectly. With Ryan yelling "Get Down" and "Lean the bike to the right" etc, it made me immediately see the error of my ways in a real trials riding situation. I have to believe I would get as much out of that as the class that was just held.

So, my questions are:
1) Does anyone else think that would be a good idea?
2) Would anyone be interested in attending a class like that? (I am certain i would enjoy a reunion of the same crowd we just had)
3) Would the logistics be too much? (I know it's not easy to set up all the sections for a trials event)
4) What else am I missing?

Joe
We've had many students ask the same questions Joe. It's very beneficial to get section coaching, but it all goes back to having good fundamental bike skills.

We can do another one in that format if there's enough interest, and I can talk Ryan into doing a section type clinic. Best time to do it would be immediately after a trails competition when the sections are still laid out.

Best recommendation is to ride with buddies that are open to minding and working with you on section type riding instead of just free riding.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #272
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 644
Section Training

If you have the time and the money, Trials Training Center offers one-on-one training and you could get what you're after.

Per day: $490 (w/rental bike), $360 (with personal bike).

http://trialstrainingcenter.com/trai...kages-pricing/
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #273
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
If you have the time and the money, Trials Training Center offers one-on-one training and you could get what you're after.

Per day: $490 (w/rental bike), $360 (with personal bike).

http://trialstrainingcenter.com/trai...kages-pricing/

Old 04-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #274
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post

Yeah, maybe I should have emphasized the IF part.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #275
joebiodiesel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Yeah, maybe I should have emphasized the IF part.
Well, it's not that I couldn't afford either the time or the fees, but I think you'd have to have some incredible stamina to get your money's worth on a full day of training like that. Also, as a new guy, I want to try applying what I've learned so far before attempting another class. I owe it to myself to ride like a fool in the next few local trials events before making another investment in training. My thoughts on this were more along the line of learning the skill, then immediately applying it in a real-world situation to reinforce it.

THW, that is a good idea to hold a clinic like that right after an event. That sure would take some of the work out of the setup. I am sure I will continue to get some good coaching at the remaining trials events this summer. Everyone did a great job of looking out for me at Lawrenceville. I got some great advice from everyone in my group.

Joe
2005 Gasgas TXT 280 Pro
1976 Honda CT70
joebiodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #276
GrayEagleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Another Idea

Quote:
Well, it's not that I couldn't afford either the time or the fees, but I think you'd have to have some incredible stamina to get your money's worth on a full day of training like that. Also, as a new guy, I want to try applying what I've learned so far before attempting another class. I owe it to myself to ride like a fool in the next few local trials events before making another investment in training. My thoughts on this were more along the line of learning the skill, then immediately applying it in a real-world situation to reinforce it.

THW, that is a good idea to hold a clinic like that right after an event. That sure would take some of the work out of the setup. I am sure I will continue to get some good coaching at the remaining trials events this summer. Everyone did a great job of looking out for me at Lawrenceville. I got some great advice from everyone in my group.

Joe
Another good way to spend a day riding would be to focus on one technique that is out of your "comfort zone," such as the jap zap for me.

Spend a couple of hours working that technique early then set up a section that you must use that technique in. That way you are focusing your day on one technique versus getting overwhelmed with trying to improve several techniques in a short amount of time. This approach would be much less of a logistical burden while letting a new rider focus on refining basic techniques to build on. Just a thought
GrayEagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #277
joebiodiesel
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEagleRider View Post
Another good way to spend a day riding would be to focus on one technique that is out of your "comfort zone," such as the jap zap for me.

Spend a couple of hours working that technique early then set up a section that you must use that technique in. That way you are focusing your day on one technique versus getting overwhelmed with trying to improve several techniques in a short amount of time. This approach would be much less of a logistical burden while letting a new rider focus on refining basic techniques to build on. Just a thought
That makes good sense. In a few weeks I am going to take some vacation days. I plan to do some catfishing, work on a few cars, and practice a few days in a row on my trials bike. I'm hoping I can master a few basics, so I can ride with a little more confidence.
Joe
2005 Gasgas TXT 280 Pro
1976 Honda CT70
Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #278
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEagleRider View Post
There is not anything in Intermediate that requires a Jap Zap. Remember what Ryan said..."You can double blip most anything up to about 3 ft". And also something else he said..."A Jap Zap is a riskier maneuver than executing a splatter, and takes way more energy".

Where I'm going with this is...focus on skill sets that are appropriate to the class you're riding, and as you advance in your class, start to add more advanced skills. Take a floater turn for example...not a skill required in Sportsman...Sportsman should not have to execute a turn tighter than full lock according to most club rules.

Just some things to think about.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #279
GrayEagleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
There is not anything in Intermediate that requires a Jap Zap. Remember what Ryan said..."You can double blip most anything up to about 3 ft". And also something else he said..."A Jap Zap is a riskier maneuver than executing a splatter, and takes way more energy".

Where I'm going with this is...focus on skill sets that are appropriate to the class you're riding, and as you advance in your class, start to add more advanced skills. Take a floater turn for example...not a skill required in Sportsman...Sportsman should not have to execute a turn tighter than full lock according to most club rules.

Good point...still want to be able to do a good jap zap.

I should have used "log crossings" vice "jap zap" in previous comment. I think it is more effective, for me at least, focusing on fewer techniques at one time compared to riding several sections and trying to improve in several techniques in the same amount of time. Also good to take advantage of a group ride to have a minder or two help with techniques that you would not try alone....skidder tire.
GrayEagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #280
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,017
TW & GER make good points. However, we could practice these maneuvers in a field till the cows come home & still not perfect them. After all, we didn't start trials when we were eight years old.

Anywho, I think it's a great idea to have a series of sections marked out to practice in with professional critiques. A real world scenario as it were. I'd be there.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #281
joebiodiesel
Adventurer

Quote:

This is exactly why I think a trials course would make a great classroom. Riders of all skill levels can continuously drill the skills they need to excel in their division. I still tip over on turns! Doing floaters from a stop was entertaining, but I may not ever need that skill to compete, unless I really improve.
It would make for very little wasted time. Good riders wouldn't be bored during basic drills. Noobs wouldn't have to attempt floaters off of trees.
Joe
2005 Gasgas TXT 280 Pro
1976 Honda CT70
Old 04-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #282
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Sounds like we have a format for the next clinic if we can get Ryan to sign off on it. We'll have to schedule the clinic the weekend after an event here at the farm.

Just what I want, a bunch of knuckleheads on trials bike here at the farm 2 weekends in a row. Man are you guys creating work for me!

Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #283
joebiodiesel
Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like we have a format for the next clinic if we can get Ryan to sign off on it. We'll have to schedule the clinic the weekend after an event here at the farm.

Just what I want, a bunch of knuckleheads on trials bike here at the farm 2 weekends in a row. Man are you guys creating work for me!
That's funny! Of course I will do my best to get down there to help you with it.

Please don't let me push anyone into this. I was just looking to open it for discussion. I guess when we go to fill a class we will know if there is interest in doing it that way.
2005 Gasgas TXT 280 Pro
1976 Honda CT70
Old 04-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #284
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
That's funny! Of course I will do my best to get down there to help you with it.

Please don't let me push anyone into this. I was just looking to open it for discussion. I guess when we go to fill a class we will know if there is interest in doing it that way.
Just bustin' your balls.

I think it's a great idea. We've talked about it numerous times.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #285
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,017
Quote:

Look at it this way; you can't buy that level of entertainment.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote