ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #196
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
THANKS ALEX W KONFLICT MOTORSPORTS for the Kudos on my attempt at such a task. I did make it to MM 17, where I just knew if I was to go any further I was to damage more than just pride.
i broke nothing on the bike at all, it took a beating and still didn't break. My left thumb got bent a bit on the first hill avoiding the kid. After further review from an X-Ray it isn't broke either, but only a good sprain. It is still pretty swollen.

I had a great time riding on saturday on the B loup and what I thought was the Dual-Sport Loup turned out I was riding on the Ironman ride. We did this for 15 or so miles to the Hotdog stand where we turned towards Odessa and looped around for the B route DS ride.
I can give tons of credit to Moto-X boots as I didn't have any when I left my house for the weekend event. I stopped in Moses Lake and tried a pair on, they fit, asked for a few bucks off and got them. I think the $200 bones saved a broken foot of some sort when a rock decided to squeeze what it could of my foot between the foot peg. No swelling, only small bruises on top of foot. I never thought it was that important or I needed them. That was until this weekend of soot, rocks and weed!!!!

Great to meet some new faces.

Jeff
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #197
Haar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I seeee yooo !

I see a yellow freightliner coming over the top . . . oops, can't run over that little kid . . . I'll sacrifice all and put 'er down. Over all, looks like the biggest obstacle was DUST ! and squishy dirt. I even saw your camp rig in the lot behind the tan tent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoebster View Post
i see myself at 3:50 bringing up the rear rear after dumping the beast!!! i guess i did dump it in part of not landing on some defensless kid at the top with a combined weight of almost 900lbs. I thought for sure I got there ankle at the very least.
Haar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #198
kelds
mostly right-side-up

Oddometer: 118
Made it less that 15 miles before I broke my bike (clutch slave), but had lot's of fun. It was my first race.....going through mile after mile of that stuff is sure different than doing a few sections at a time on a casual ride with lots of breaks....my arms are still sore!
Back again next year; maybe this will be the excuse I need to get a smaller bike to go with my current one.
kelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #199
Rikimoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Another DNF here :P

I crashed so many times on various hill climbs that by the time I got to checkpoint 2 I was so spent from wrestling the 990 around (and out of water) that I called it a day. What an awesome experience though! Congratulations to all finishers and the winners!

I also want to give a shout out to Jeff for trying to help out Kelds in the middle of a rocky hill when her bike broke down, trying to push it up the hill. Jeff and I rode together for a bit on Saturday and it was nice to link up with a familiar face for a bit. Huge props for rocking the Super Ten out there.

I'll be coming back for my finisher's shirt. Just maybe on a smaller bike... And with a bit more practice climbing boulders.

Stay tuned for fail-o-Rama head cam video ;)

Richard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rikimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #200
kelds
mostly right-side-up

Oddometer: 118
I also want to give a shout out to Jeff for trying to help out Kelds in the middle of a rocky hill when her bike broke down, trying to push it up the hill. Jeff and I rode together for a bit on Saturday and it was nice to link up with a familiar face for a bit. Huge props for rocking the Super Ten out there.

Yup....definitely appreciated! Same with the sweep rider that helped getting off a rocky ledge prior to Jeff helping me out.
kelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #201
Old Skool Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 3
We got in late afternoon on Friday. Found a decent place to set up camp and park the hauler. What a scene!
Our group rolled out with the intention for dual sport ride on Saturday... ended up riding the ironman loop instead too. Then we hit up the B loop. Missed out on the A loop due to time... had delays with some mechanicals in our group followed by my battery going dead. Oops. After much effort we got her bump started after a tow to more solid ground.

New cross training technique is pushing the big girl uphill in the desert.

Thanks for the help Andy!

PO had suspension lowered by Super Plush. Lowered and undersprung suspension = bashed skid plate center stand and side stand big time! Thought I might have damaged my forks a few times bottoming so hard.

Time for suspension work! More travel and stiffer fork springs!

Ill be back next year.
Old Skool Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #202
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethro303 View Post
Finished!
Waiting to see how I did once online results are posted.
You should have stuck around for your trophy

Huge thanks for the StumpJumpers for putting on a great event again and giving us a place to race our big fat ADV bikes.

I was told there were 16 ADV bikes that started the race. It was great to see a good turn out. There should have been 2 more F800s but Bryan didn't realize his passport was expired and Matt had a bad stack on Saturday and wasn't able to start on Sunday. Huge props to Kevin for racing and finishing on his F8 (first race) and Pat for finishing on his '93 BMW R100PD

I had a bad start but managed to recover. Stacked it in the deep sand, pulled the hand guard out of the bar end but not off inner bar mount. It flopped around until it got caught between the frame and forks, locking the steering, stack number two. Ripped the handguard off and considered putting it in my back pack but the thought of crashing and landing on it didn't appeal to me so it got left behind. Overheated badly when fan stopped working and I got stuck in deep sand shortly after the last check point. Got sprayed in the face with coolant when the res boiled over (stupid F800 res vent points straight up). Figured if I let it cool down someone else from the ADV class would pass me and I wanted keep whatever position I had so I kept pushing it. By the time I crossed the finish line there was nothing left but steam... really hoping I didn't f%^k the motor.

Regardless, it was a great weekend and I'll be back next year

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 02:25 AM
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #203
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Great Times

It was good to see a nice turnout for the ADV class. Maybe we can keep this going
It was the roughest course and the most dust Ive seen for a while.
I had a great start crossed the flag somewhere near the top 20 and the Super Adventure was on rails. It was surprising how quick we where into the first wave riders, between the first and second checks there was a bottle neck with a small rock wall, I went to the right and jumped the wall, landing on a bunch of sharp rocks, immediately I felt the rim smack the ground and knew I was toast, I raced to the next check hoping to get a tube, zip ties or something to keep going, but
I made two big mistakes, my first was airing the rear down a bit in the pits, the second was not carrying a spare tube and irons.
it was the second year in a row I had top ride the road of shame, I had some company on that road when I ran into my son Wes pushing his YZ with a failed auto clutch, Oh well at least we kept it in the family

Great job to all of you who finished or even had the nerve to race the ADV class, Hope to see you all back next year!
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #204
SOP Dirt-Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Cory, I have some nice pics for you. I'll post up soon as I get them down loaded.

Well done to all!

Kelds, all I gotta say is you were rocking the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was the guy to your right at the entrance to the starting line with the yeller Cyclops lights.

Next year we need to double the numbers, this is totally doable and should be on everyone's (with an offroad passion) bucket list. Spread the word and come roost them skinny bikes
Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #205
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
The ADV Class at the Desert 100.....

is a marketing ploy funded by aftermarket parts counter salespeople! While you folks were out wrestling the big dogs, I took advantage of a Webb Powersports offer to ride the 1190R they had by their vendor booth! What an incredible machine! There will be one in my future. Once that's in the garage maybe I'll strip down the 990 and come see what I can break out there with you guys and gals.....you sure make it look like fun!

Congrats on the fortitude to try, and especially if you made it to the finish line!
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #206
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Cory, I have some nice pics for you. I'll post up soon as I get them down loaded.
I'll keep an eye out for them

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 04-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #207
Motophycomaniac
n00b

Oddometer: 9
D 100

First and foremost,
A big thanks to all the fine ADV folks I met at my first rally/event, you people made a great impression of this community to me and I look forward to more in the future. Second, this challenge was awesome and I enjoyed every moment of it including picking that heavy SOB up several times(except the steep sand rut that buried the bike and cost me shy 1 hour to drag the bike outta to solid ground on its side while Chet roosted by me in good style...)also a fond memory of Alex ripping past me while yelling out LETS RIDE SON!!. And last but not least the marvelous and generous camaraderie of camp Canada, thanks guys!!! See you sometime on a much less dusty trail...

Kevin
Motophycomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #208
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motophycomaniac View Post
First and foremost,
A big thanks to all the fine ADV folks I met at my first rally/event, you people made a great impression of this community to me and I look forward to more in the future. Second, this challenge was awesome and I enjoyed every moment of it including picking that heavy SOB up several times(except the steep sand rut that buried the bike and cost me shy 1 hour to drag the bike outta to solid ground on its side while Chet roosted by me in good style...)also a fond memory of Alex ripping past me while yelling out LETS RIDE SON!!. And last but not least the marvelous and generous camaraderie of camp Canada, thanks guys!!! See you sometime on a much less dusty trail...

Kevin
"Camp Canada" was glad to have you as a temporary citizen . It's been a long time since I met someone with such a great attitude and so much enthusiasm. It was a pleasure to meet you

Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #209
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel ADV View Post
Well son of a gun I knew I wanted to stick around for a reason.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #210
emgee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Cory swept the Biathalon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel ADV View Post

So Cory, I hope your winners trophy was at least as big as your 4' tall Poker Run trophy! Did you even have room in the truck to get those back home?

I didn't race but I did receive the equivalent of the "Gold Star of Participation" one receives in elementary school. The trophy says "Poker Run Finisher". By "Finisher" they must mean jettison the Ironman loop after 12 miles, ride the B loop on the dual sport side, and then "finish" strong at the brewery.

It was great meeting you, Kevin, and all the other ADV'ers that I camped with. Thanks to the StumpJumpers and the PSSOR crew as well. I had a great time and look forward to hanging out again next year.
Attached Images

emgee is online now   Reply With Quote