ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #211
Kavalier
Starbucks Adv Poseur

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
So Cory, I hope your winners trophy was at least as big as your 4' tall Poker Run trophy! Did you even have room in the truck to get those back home?

I didn't race but I did receive the equivalent of the "Gold Star of Participation" one receives in elementary school. The trophy says "Poker Run Finisher". By "Finisher" they must mean jettison the Ironman loop after 12 miles, ride the B loop on the dual sport side, and then "finish" strong at the brewery.

It was great meeting you, Kevin, and all the other ADV'ers that I camped with. Thanks to the StumpJumpers and the PSSOR crew as well. I had a great time and look forward to hanging out again next year.
You earned it with the quickest flat repair of the day, I think :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brycemilton/13726124984/
Kavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #212
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,881
I've got my pics of you Adventure Class guys up.

http://alinbeaverton.smugmug.com/Rac...venture-Class/

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #213
Rikimoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Laugh

As promised here is my highlight/fail video. Link here in case embed doesn't work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC8G...8&noredirect=1

Watching back on the video it's pretty obvious to me that I got both intimidated at worn out from crashing and dropping the bike so many times and it was just a slow and hot inevitable end. I have lots to practice and learn before next year!
Rikimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #214
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
So Cory, I hope your winners trophy was at least as big as your 4' tall Poker Run trophy! Did you even have room in the truck to get those back home?

I didn't race but I did receive the equivalent of the "Gold Star of Participation" one receives in elementary school. The trophy says "Poker Run Finisher". By "Finisher" they must mean jettison the Ironman loop after 12 miles, ride the B loop on the dual sport side, and then "finish" strong at the brewery.

It was great meeting you, Kevin, and all the other ADV'ers that I camped with. Thanks to the StumpJumpers and the PSSOR crew as well. I had a great time and look forward to hanging out again next year.
It's kind of funny but the poker derby trophy is about a foot taller than the ADV class one and no, I didn't actually have room for them. Matt and I rented the travel trailer in Spokane so my x-cab short box truck was crammed with the 2 of us, 2 bikes, 2 sets of riding gear, BBQ, tools etc from there home. Mike and Tyler brought them back in the cargo van...I still don't have them!

A huge thanks to Darryl for making this ADV class happen. I've had a riot the past 2 years

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #215
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 576
Thanks Riki, that looks like a blast. My kind of 9x0 riding. I may try to make the trek over next year.
effensteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #216
SOP Dirt-Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
for those who Face Book check out the album I just posted. Search SOP Dirt-Rider and look at the Kenda D100 album. Pics load much quicker than Photo Bucket. I'll share some of the choice ones once they are done.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #217
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikimoto View Post

As promised here is my highlight/fail video. Link here in case embed doesn't work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC8G...8&noredirect=1
Awesome effort and better luck next year!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #218
MightyJoe
Mighty Joe

Oddometer: 30
Laugh

I like the guy who cheered near the end of the video.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #219
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel ADV View Post
It's kind of funny but the poker derby trophy is about a foot taller than the ADV class one and no, I didn't actually have room for them. Matt and I rented the travel trailer in Spokane so my x-cab short box truck was crammed with the 2 of us, 2 bikes, 2 sets of riding gear, BBQ, tools etc from there home. Mike and Tyler brought them back in the cargo van...I still don't have them!

A huge thanks to Darryl for making this ADV class happen. I've had a riot the past 2 years

Taking all the hardware back to Canada, Congratulations!
Now you have a target on your back
It was great to see you and everyone else out there.
The drama after the finish was a bit of bad karma for the poser. Glad we got that all squared away and the rightful winner took the goods home.

I thought about that on the way home, If the rule read 651cc and the bike had to be plated everywhere the bike was originally sold that would take care of allowing the KLR, XRL to race and omit the XRR
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #220
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
Thanks to SOP for getting this photo for me. I was having a blast before the road of shame.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #221
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
Now you have a target on your back
I wouldn't expect any less! My goal last year was to ride clean and finish. My goal this year was simply to ride better and faster than I did last year. Next year I'll be working to ride better than this year. As it turns out, my efforts this year were enough for a 1st place finish. It would be more fulfilling if 9 out of 16 hadn't DNF'd. It would mean more if my friend and mentor Pat Horan (on the R100 P/D) hadn't had several mechanical issues and ran out of fuel before finishing. Regardless, I accepted my 4ft trophy, cash, prizes with a big ass smile on my face. None of this will matter next year, all will be reset

Quote:
The drama after the finish was a bit of bad karma for the poser. Glad we got that all squared away and the rightful winner took the goods home.

I thought about that on the way home, If the rule read 651cc and the bike had to be plated everywhere the bike was originally sold that would take care of allowing the KLR, XRL to race and omit the XRR
Unfortunate for sure, it definitely soured my mood for a bit. I've seen classes at other races that specifically name bikes that are exceptions to the rules. Example, "150cc and under, CRF150R excluded." I believe there is a popular adv bike that is 644cc (don't recall what model).
You could do something like:
"ADV class is defined as a factory street legal bike with a factory displacement of 6XXcc. XR650R and blah blah blah excluded. Exceptions made for blah blah blah".

I think it would be really good to get KLRs involved. It makes much more sense to beat a $4000 bike through the desert than a $15k-20k BMW or KTM. I bet the class would double the first year you included the KLR.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #222
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel ADV View Post
Unfortunate for sure, it definitely soured my mood for a bit.

I missed it. What happened at the end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #223
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Alternatively, the class could be set by weight, with a weigh-in photo shoot like a boxing match. It could even be split into light heavyweight and heavyweight classes (300 - 425 lb & 425+ lb?) A license plate is a requirement for anything calling itself an adventure bike.

The 65Xcc rule is right at a funny place that culls some big thumpers but admits others, even though the level of effort and competitiveness for the race are comparible. The KTM 690 (actual 654 or 690) is in. The 644cc XRL and 649cc XRR are out. The KTM 640 (actual 625) is out. The Husky TE 610/630 is out.

Then there are the others, less factory-suitable thumpers for racing but I've seen some modded to be competitive. Suzuki DR is out but DR Big is in, the KLR may be in (651cc), and the BMW F650 may be in (652cc).

I'm just thinking out loud. I'm just happy some of you gladiators are up for the game. There's nothing like the sound of a big twin roaring past at full boogie. Respect!

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 11:03 AM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #224
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Rikimoto
Thanks for sharing, the video really flattens out the terrain.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #225
MightyJoe
Mighty Joe

Oddometer: 30
Yeah, what drama happened at the end? We didn't see the finish/awards.

Not that I like drama, but I'm curious now.