ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #241
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,378
Just how dusty was it this weekend?

I starting looking the bike over today. I popped the air filter out to see how bad it was I have no idea how the bike even ran. It was a new filter before the race. I'll definitely be doing prefilters next year, yikes!

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #242
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 840
Congrats on a well earned first place Cory! Wish I was able to catch up with you out at the D100!
See you next year!

Konflict Motorsports & Suspension Inc.
www.konflictmotorsports.com
Old 04-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #243
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
Congrats on a well earned first place Cory! Wish I was able to catch up with you out at the D100!
See you next year!

Konflict Motorsports & Suspension Inc.
www.konflictmotorsports.com
Thanks Alex. I was just talking with Tracy and she mentioned you will be at the Touratech Travel event at the end of June. I plan on attending (likely as a vendor) so I'm sure I'll see you there.

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 04-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #244
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r22mny View Post
why is an XR 650 Honda illegal in this class but a KTM 695 is Legal?

The 650 has 7 year old everything, a 5 speed transmission, etc. The KTM has a 6 speed, electric start, modern suspension and can't weigh a lot more.
The xr650r has a reputation for being a baja winner and the ktm 690 not so much. From what I have gathered the xr650r is a much superior off road bike compared to other 650 class singles.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #245
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Not trying to start a war here but since I live in a cave and don't get out much --- why is an XR 650 Honda illegal in this class but a KTM 695 is Legal?

The 650 has 7 year old everything, a 5 speed transmission, etc. The KTM has a 6 speed, electric start, modern suspension and can't weigh a lot more.

Nicht verstandin.

4r
For Stumpjumpers the rule is 650~651CC or above actual displacement, not just class. If I recall, the XRR is actually 649cc. Hence why its not legal for that class.

Besides, if the BRP was legal, the class would be stacked with them, instead of getting all the great heavy weights/variety we are seeing in the class.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #246
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Not trying to start a war here but since I live in a cave and don't get out much --- why is an XR 650 Honda illegal in this class but a KTM 695 is Legal?

Nicht verstandin.

4r
Any bike that was not 100% street legal from the time of sale in every state should not be allowed in the class.
Im proud to have both initiated, promoted and sponsored this class into reality. The original thought was a place for guys to race their real adventure bikes.
The 650R belongs in any other class other than the ADV class, It is a dirt bike plain and simple.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #247
IgnacioB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:

Nicht verstandin.

4r
The short answer: The 650 isn't 652 cc or greater. The 690 is greater than 652.

The longer answer is:
The XRR (shorthand for "XR650R"...also know as the BRP or "Big Red Pig") is actually older than 7 years...more like 14 as it was introduced in 2000. But, it was a purpose built unit for Baja...designed to ride 1000 miles of the desert, but not a whole lot more without a service. And while you can ride it on the road (I've done 300 miles in one sitting before)...it's WAY more on the dirt bike side of the house than any other adventure bike I've been on. It was a truly unique bike on the market...and still is.

The KTM 690 is probably 90% there on dirt performance having 10% less (10 vs. 11 inches) suspension travel and 10% more weight (305 vs. 276 of the all aluminum Honda beast)

Also you see KTM 690 on forest roads and paved roads commonly....with panniers, top boxes, windshields, and riders venturing from state to state. You saw 690 riders rider to the Desert 100 on their bike, camp from it, and ride it back home.

XRR? Not so much. I bet it was trailered.

Contrast this wither others in the class. Most others in the class are in the 400-500 pound range and have 7 or 8 inches suspension travel. Seeing one of these flogged around the course with side racks and mirrors still attached knowing they left their panniers, tent, JetBoil, and chair at camp, AND that they're going to pack it all up and ride home is what I think this class is and should aspire to be.

I'm not saying they should run bikes through tech to determine how much of a mound of camping stuff they have on their bike's but, but the 652 works pretty well. It would be nice to include the air cooled steel-framed KLRs or XRLs if reasonably easy.
My Motorcycle Blog
IgnacioB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #248
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
The xr650r has a reputation for being a baja winner and the ktm 690 not so much. From what I have gathered the xr650r is a much superior off road bike compared to other 650 class singles.
Honda has come in first at the Baja 1000 every year since 1997. First with the XR600. The XR650R was undefeated at Baja from the first time it was entered in 1999 through 2005. 2006 began the reign of the Honda CRF450X that continues still.

KTM never got serious about Baja until 2007. That year KTM put a factory team together and built a 690 based on the Dakar winning 690 Rally (which is also the basis for the 690 available to the public). They managed a second place in the Baja 500 (Chris Blais, Cyril Despres, & David Pearson) and third place in the Baja 1000 (Quinn Cody, Cyril Despres, & David Pearson) behind two CRFs and ahead of the fourth place XR650R. KTM was a little late to the party with the 690 effort as lighter, smaller displacement, enduro race bikes were becoming more competitive for the event. It was the end of an era and no big thumper has been competitive for a win after 2007.

2007 was an interesting year for the Baja 1000. More in the spirit of the adventure class is the incredible 18th place finish for Ned Suesse (Neduro), Lyndon Poskit (Pyndon), Tim Hillsamer (Hilslamer), and Geoff Brownell riding a lightly modified KTM 950 SE. They crossed the finish line with only ten hours difference from the winning CRF. Anybody in the mood for 20 laps around the Odessa course?

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #249
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

OK since we look like we are getting some traction and interest in ADV class racing in the NW, who else might be interested in racing the Starvation ridge 24 hr on their ADV bikes?
We (the heavyweights) did it last year with a team of 5 racers, we had a great time and very good overall finish, It was far from easy.

It would be great to see a 2nd or 3rd ADV Bike team.
1-800-624-0278
Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #250
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
OK since we look like we are getting some traction and interest in ADV class racing in the NW, who else might be interested in racing the Starvation ridge 24 hr on their ADV bikes?
We (the heavyweights) did it last year with a team of 5 racers, we had a great time and very good overall finish, It was far from easy.

Oct 25-26 correct?

Old 04-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #251
SOP Dirt-Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post

Great Idea!! Another option is an Iron Man ADV Class. Getting several teams may prove more of a challenge at this stage, we have time but it would take a serious effort on our and the OTB Gangs part to advertise and promote the class.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #252
Motophycomaniac
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Starvation ridge-

Cory,
what do you say for it, lets get a few others and join forces EH!
Darryl,
I like the big bike racing idea, it's challenging, fun and gives those interested another outlet for their ADV thirst not to mention more reason to drink beer and tell fish stories at days end.
Motophycomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #253
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Great Idea!! Another option is an Iron Man ADV Class. Getting several teams may prove more of a challenge at this stage, we have time but it would take a serious effort on our and the OTB Gangs part to advertise and promote the class.
That's what the heavyweights where put together for. To provide and promote Big bike racing in the NW.
The adv class at the ridge is already a done deal,(your welcome) we just didn't want to race it last year and preferred to race against real dirt bikes.
1-800-624-0278
Old 04-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #254
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel ADV View Post
Oct 25-26 correct?
Ill check the dates for this year

1-800-624-0278
Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #255
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
For Stumpjumpers the rule is 650~651CC or above actual displacement, not just class. If I recall, the XRR is actually 649cc. Hence why its not legal for that class.

Besides, if the BRP was legal, the class would be stacked with them, instead of getting all the great heavy weights/variety we are seeing in the class.
Hey Jr. we sure missed you this year! We had a great time but it would only have been better if you had been there! Any chance we will see you in 2015??