Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #31
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadDan View Post
Well I bought the Hannigan I was looking at. $3400. Electric lean, both top and tonou cover,power outlet, etc. Now I'm looking for the right bike to use as a tug. I'm thinking K1200 GT or RS. I think the riding position of the GT would be better for my 62 year old body,but peg lowering and handlebar raising kits are available for the RS. I like the telelever front suspension on the 1200 a it has some designed in anti-dive. Does anyone make a trail reducing kit for this bike? Older K's 100's and 1100's are an option as well. I spoke to Hannigan about this and surprisingly they have never done either the k100 or 1100 so there would be aditional charges as they would need to design new mounts. another option is the Honda ST 1100/1300. I like the bullet proof reputation of these two, but I am pluged in to the BMW comunity so this would be stepping out of my comfort zone. This will be my first sidecar so my plan is to start out with a baisicly stock bike until I learn to drive it and then if I find I don't like sidecars to sell the rig either together or as separate units. If I decide I like this I would gradually modify the bike to make it a dedicated sidecar tug. Trail reduction, car tires and suspension modifications. I welcome any suggestions. Thanks, Dan
I hooked my ST1300 to a Hannigan and we are delighted with it. The shop owner said it was the nicest handling combo he has ever worked on.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #32
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,109
Quote:
Bob, Thanks for the info on the handlebar kit This looks like just what I would need. I do have a question about the subframe. Since the engine on the k1200 is rubber mounted and there are no frame members under the engine is the subframe attached to the engine? If this is so it seems that would put undue stress on the rubber mounts, not to mention the effect on handling. I haven't found a bike yet, but there is one at a dealership near Millwaukee that I plan to look at. Too cold for a test ride, so I don't think I'll be making them an offer today. Anything I should look for? What are the weak points on the K12? are you still running the car tire on the stock rear wheel? Thanks, Dan
Hi Dan,
This is one of the better deals I've seen lately: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=K1200RS The most common K issue is the rear main seal leaking, look for weeping at the tranny case junction.
Some of the earlier '98 models had some leaks at the clutch slave cylinder, I think it was an o-ring issue, I'd wager most have been repaired or updated at this point.
The earlier pre 2002 bikes will work just as well, same frame, no whizzy brakes. I do like the power whizzy brakes on mine, some don't.
No issues with the subframe, there are multiple attachment points braced to both sides of the bike.
Rear upper mount here:

Lower mount attaches form the rear upper mount, is braced in the middle to the centerstand:

Front of the lower mount bolts to the bottom of the motor and has a brace that goes under neath to the other side of the motor, and goes up to the top motor mount for the front upper attachment point:

No issues with handling, this setup is very rigid.
I just ordered an adapter and 15" wheel from Claude, for 2 reasons. First, the 17" Yokohama tire is the ONLY tire in this size in the country, should I have a total failure on the road I would most likely have to wait around to locate one, or use a bike tire. It was also a screaming bitch to mount, and the tire places won't touch a bike rim, nor will the bike shops mount a car tire! The euros & Aussies have a better selection of 17" tires that would work, but they are unavailable here.
This tire was also shorter than the bike tire, resulting in a 10% high speedo and 5% high odometer. The selection of 15" tires will put me back at the right diameter,
The 130HP K doesn't need the advantage of lower gearing from a shorter tire!
Hope this helps.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #33
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,528
Bob
Is that Hannigans sub frame hardware ? High of 3 here tomorrow Wish you where here DB
Old 02-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #34
airheadDan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thanks Bob, I'm going to look at a K12 RS near Millwaukee tomorrow. I wish I had known about the one in Memphis while I was down there on Saturday. I picked up the sidecar in Collierville Tn.
airheadDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #35
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 942
I have an 87 K75 with a hannigan, let me know if you have any specific questions
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #36
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Bob
Is that Hannigans sub frame hardware ? High of 3 here tomorrow Wish you where here DB
Yes, that was the install at Hannigan's shop.
Quoting Jimmy Buffet? "I wish you were here, the weather is beautiful."
83 here yesterday afternoon.......
www.earplugco.com
Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #37
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Yes, that was the install at Hannigan's shop.
Quoting Jimmy Buffet? "I wish you were here, the weather is beautiful."
83 here yesterday afternoon.......

Oh damn you Bob -1 as I post this lol
Old 02-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #38
airheadDan OP
Adventurer

Bob, I had forgotten about the servo brakes. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like them on a solo bike, but they would probably be good with a sidecar. The main disadvantage I can see is the need to take it to the dealer to bleed the brakes. The nearest dealer to me is an hour away and I don't realy trust their service dept. I belive the Jimmy Buffet quote is: "The weather is here I wish you were beautiful" The weather is definitely here! below zero for the next 3 nights. Dan
Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 AM   #39
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Bob, I had forgotten about the servo brakes. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like them on a solo bike, but they would probably be good with a sidecar. The main disadvantage I can see is the need to take it to the dealer to bleed the brakes. The nearest dealer to me is an hour away and I don't realy trust their service dept. I belive the Jimmy Buffet quote is: "The weather is here I wish you were beautiful" The weather is definitely here! below zero for the next 3 nights. Dan
They are not that hard go bleed but it is tedious about everyother year is all that's necessary.db
Old 02-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #40
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Dan, you're correct on the Buffet quote, hey I'm a sidecar guy, we get things backwards all the time!
Like Dave said, the brakes are time consuming but doable. The K12RS site has a pictorial how to here.
www.earplugco.com
Old 02-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #41
airheadDan OP
Adventurer

I went to Mukwonago, Wi. today to look at the 2000 K12RS They have 23K miles bar backs and peg lowering kit looks ok some scratches, front tire toast, rear 75% stock seat with cracked vinyl, heated grips and a Throttlemiester which did not work (possibly just needs to be adjusted) asking 4,999 I think this is too much, it is silver/blue two tone and the silver may be a match for the sidecar. sure wish I could have gone for a test drive. It would have involved taking 8 to 10 bikes out of the showroom to get at this one and it's way too cold anyway. It has to warm up someday doesn't it? Dan
Old 02-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #42
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Cl mn wi

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...294640657.html

Real old timey http://images.craigslist.org/00Y0Y_j...Q6_600x450.jpg
Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #43
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...336458592.html
Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #44
airheadDan OP
Adventurer

Thanks for posting links for k12's for sale. I's surprising how many k12 RS's are out there with low miles. It has always amazed me how many people buy expensive bikes and then put so few miles on them. I never seem to go anywhere and still log at least 10k a year. So far I am considering 4 bikes ranging from "00 to '04 all with 20-30k's for miles. All priced at $5000/OBO. This seems to be the going rate for a K12 RS brick regardless of year. I did go to the BMW shop on Millwaukee where they had a K12 GT with mileage in the 20K+ range their asking price: 10,995!!! There doesn't seem to be much difference between the RS and the GT. Whatever I decide the stock seat would have to go. I know Bob is a fan of the servo assist brakes, does anyone else have any opinion about them? At this point I am favoring the silver/blue '00 in Mukwonago, Wi. and the silver/red '02 in Mn. as the silver may match the silver Hannigan. The sidecar was color matched to the R1200 C it was mounted to. Anyone know if the R12C silver matches the RS silver? It would be just like BMW to make them just a little different. Thanks for any feedback, Dan
Old 02-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #45
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

At 10.9 I wonder if that is not the next edititon of Kgt or a consignment, the old ones which are 85 k1000 derivatives are a fine tug the flat but not exciting torque curve should be cool, I had the 85rs.
The absi powerbrakes are only really a problem if the pump dies, I took them of my 04 GSA while having it all apart. If the pump quites it's time to convert to regular brakes which requires custom brake lines and different stop lite switches on a GS.
Sidecars are a big project, you might want trail reduction, possibly a swaybar, battery relocation and an automotive rear wheel, don't fix it if it ain't broke maybe.
See as how where neighbors you may want to see this guy about getting it assembled.http://www.sidecar-industry.com/SCF/scf.htm
KURT LIEBHABER
20 Years in the Sidecar Business
1046 Mud-Creek Rd.
Oregon, Illinois 61061
815-734-7001