Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #16
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,276
Worrying about the color of a Ural seems kinda silly to me.
Get it muddy for the camo look.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #17
jaydmc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
You could also just add a sidecar to your GSA, they make great sidecar bikes. We can do this for you as can Claude. It all depends on just what your needs are. We have 3 different sidecars for the GSA, Our M72D, M72DX and Expedition sidecars which we can either assemble here for you or ship to you for you or some one local to you to install. We have steering modifications as well as an interchangeable automotive rear wheel.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #18
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
The color is super important to me!

Also, those sidecars look really cool, but I guess a big appeal about the ural is the "classic sidecar" style of old Europe.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #19
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,382
Zeid, sounds as though you have growing pains, glad I'm not the only one.

First about your paint concerns. You will be looking at that paint job far more often than riding it. Get the color or design you want. Some say you'll grow into loving something, it didn't work w/ my third wife. Get your color.

Our spot light is used every time we return during the dark hours. Deer, Elk, cattle, sheep, horses & other 4 legged disasters looking for a vehicle to collide w/. Open range is a neat way to get to really feel nature at its worst & best.

We have a GU-11, (our 2nd GU) & a GS, the same feeling about the BMW being sometimes larger than life is here too.

But not looking back about having our GU-11, well maybe one warranty issue.

The Ural better suits my needs to go exploring & knowing I feel a better chance to return on the same Ural power that I started out w/.
You'll really enjoy your reverse.

Reading what you psoted about $ being as they are, I'd look to a slightly earlier Ural w/ the paint you want. You will save thousands. You could also get one w/ a lot of goodies attached to it & really score there too. There are many Gear Up & Patrol owners who for whatever reason are ready to sell their units w/ little or no actual 2wd usage. NOT MINE !

You'll find too Ural riders will usually go out of their way to help w/ better understanding the whole Uraling thing. You'll have major fun & so too your wife. Just take it easy in the beginning.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #20
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Get the color you want!!! It is YOUR toy not anyone else!!
Prmurat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #21
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies folks.

Yeah, they have the Gaucho model all decked out at a local dealership near me. I love it and the design of it, really neat setup and yeah, color is definitely important. Seems like most Ural Folks are quite helpful as well. I was just under the impression that the 14's were extraordinary leaps and bounds better than anything before them- a difference between night and day.

Another thing I've found odd is the big carb assembly and hose on the right side. How do you get use to that and use the brake pedal without going crazy and constantly hitting your leg?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #22
monkeydad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
I hear ya

Zeid,

I live in Fountain Hills, and have a '12 R1200GS.

We came so close to buying a '13 Ural GU this last summer. We like to ride two-up a lot, and we have a 4 year old son and two labs that would love to come along.

right now we are considering either fitting a DMC to the GS, which is easily removed, or getting the '14 Ural.

We are also looking at houses, so I have no idea what the garage situation will be.

Right now I'm leaning towards fitting a rig to the GS for daily commuting, camping, etc. and getting a dual-purpose (XR, DR, KTM etc.) for me to ride with buds on dirt roads and trails.

I think the power and comfort of the GS with a rig would be better than the Ural, plus I get to get a new toy (dirt bike)!

Although, my son and wife love the Ural for the fun factor even thought it would be much slower. Reverse is mighty convenient I must say, so that's a bonus for the Ural.

Again, garage space will probably be the deciding factor. Adding a rig to the GS would be half the cost of buying a Ural as well. For the price of a Ural I could put a rig on the GS and get a nice little dual sport.

This is quite the 1st World problem we have here! Nuthin' but fun to look forward to!
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #23
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post

Yeah, they have the Gaucho model all decked out at a local dealership near me. I love it and the design of it, really neat setup and yeah, color is definitely important. Seems like most Ural Folks are quite helpful as well. I was just under the impression that the 14's were extraordinary leaps and bounds better than anything before them- a difference between night and day.

Another thing I've found odd is the big carb assembly and hose on the right side. How do you get use to that and use the brake pedal without going crazy and constantly hitting your leg?

The right side gets cramped on a longer ride if you have long legs or big feet. Not a lot of options for stretching or different foot positions. You can move your right foot over to the side car frame from time to time for a little different position but for me it still wasnt enough. I am 6'. The HD police seat helps a ton but right leg cramps will still occur.

I wouldnt say night and day difference, three discs would be the best upgrade IMHO. You will still need to carry a detailed/large tool kit, nut & bolt the rig constantly and keep your warranty card handy. They are still quirky and will need a few bugs worked out here & there.

Offroad-2wd is 2wd regardless of model. Dont buy into the hype that they are the epitome of offroad prowess. They are still heavy, underpowered, geared way too high and have minimal clearance. 2wd will just get you stuck a little farther up the trail than a 1wd

I am Just trying to give you a honest opinion from a previous owner(10k clicks on a 10' model, best bud still has his 09, I have lots of clicks on it too)

Overall they are VERY fun rigs.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #24
monkeydad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:

I test road a GU Ural and found no problems operating the brake.

Also, the '14's are injected, not carbed. While I have not test road the '14, by the look of the pics on the Ural website, it looks like there is more shin-room on the fuel injected version.
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #25
Zeid OP
Adventurer

I dunno. There's a 13' I might can get a fantastic deal on, equipped just the way I want it.

A big thing I'm considering is this...

From what I can see and from what I've heard from many others, a URAL is DEFINITELY an adventure bike. I'm not talking about taking it on the most difficult trails imaginable but just across rough roads, dirt roads, fire trails and mainly out into the middle of no where camping and through the backroads across this country and others.

I just keep hearing from some people that these things are so unreliable that taking them more than a half hour away from home is risky.

It seems like an ideal adventure platform, I'm just wondering about how unreliable they are. I love traveling around places via backroads and would love adventuring like that, but can it make it? I don't care if it can't cruise over 65mph, I don't want to. I like to enjoy the ride.

What do you folks say to this...?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #26
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,389
my solution

2k 1150GS with a M72 rig.

Power, good suspension and easy to get parts.

here in Scottsdale if you want to see and take it out.
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #27
Zeid OP
Adventurer

That's very kind of you.

I'm sure it's a lot of fun, it's just one of the big appeals to me in the Ural is it's "classic" factor, the oldschool sidecar look. I dunno, just something about them, very classic but useful to?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 AM   #28
StoneAgeMan
Wanderer

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
A big thing I'm considering is this...

From what I can see and from what I've heard from many others, a URAL is DEFINITELY an adventure bike. I'm not talking about taking it on the most difficult trails imaginable but just across rough roads, dirt roads, fire trails and mainly out into the middle of no where camping and through the backroads across this country and others.

I just keep hearing from some people that these things are so unreliable that taking them more than a half hour away from home is risky.

It seems like an ideal adventure platform, I'm just wondering about how unreliable they are. I love traveling around places via backroads and would love adventuring like that, but can it make it? I don't care if it can't cruise over 65mph, I don't want to. I like to enjoy the ride.

What do you folks say to this...?
Ural has sold many thousands of these over just the last few years. Almost every other year they improved 4-5 items. When you're only selling maybe 8 thousand of these in a good year, statistics on mean-time-between-failure (MTBF) will be hard to get.

But humans do make errors. Some small number of the last 30+ major improvements Ural has made in the last 7 years have had their teething problems. Ural has (for most folks) stood up and taken care of the problems. There was a bad batch of wheels, another time I think it was rocker arms (or something). But they're small enough that they can respond quickly and they do.

IMO, and considering the number of newly engineered parts that Ural has had to design and/or outsource, there's not been many failures. But statistics are not really available. I can point to many pictures of final drive failures of certain well known brands, but supporters of that brand will say that the internet "blows these failures out of proportion" (and it does).

For anecdotal evidence, I've had three Urals over the last 15 years, put between 15K miles and 35K on each of them. I know for a fact that each of them is still running and being used today (one by me). I did have one real breakdown. I had loaded an older ural ('00 with 650 engine) with three people and all their camping gear (including tent and chairs), and run it on the hwy near WOT for over 4 hrs with only gas stops (eating while gassing). The next day I took it into hilly sand without checking the oil. I had a broken crank on that, they fixed it under warranty as that was about the time they had determined that the old '40s era crank design wasn't up to this "modern" engine.

I took my 2011 Gear Up for 8 days and rode a bit over 900 miles in Montana high-country recently (see "Best of MT 1000" in pictures). This was 65%+ gravel roads. I took over 3000 pictures (high alpine meadows in spring!). Reverse and the parking brake (maligned by some but beloved by me) are quite nice. I did have one problem, I had to clean my air filter from all the dust! I also ran it in the Black Dog Dual Sport rally in Oregon and took my wife all around Southern Oregon on it.

Another year I did the WABDR (WA Back Country Discovery Route). I took almost a week, camping along the way, 600 miles of running along the edge of the mountains, over ridges and through valleys (and then one full day back along the hwy). I did have two problems, my aftermarket muffler welding broke, and a side-car attachment bolt lost its nut. Turned out to be an improperly heat-treated bolt that was covered under warranty, never mind that I was getting air over jumps at the time :-). I was able to safely continue out of the mountains into the next town and get it repaired.

The changes done this year are not so much internal as external, so I'd not expect major mechanical problems with them. The EFI is actually very slick. There are two control modules, one per cylinder. They talk to each other to balance the engine power. If one fails, the other can take over control to get you home. It's made by a reputable name in the business and is a very modern design.

You will probably need to stay on top of tightening all the fasteners, especially when riding "off-road". The sidecar is basically a huge pair of crowbars jammed in the side of the frame. The ruts, bumps, quick turns, etc., all have a way of tweaking the fittings loose. Bad things happen to those folks who don't check the bolts every few thousand km (less frequently after enough time as they set in).

I'd love a 2014, but with an '09 WRR, '11 Gear Up and a '13 V-Strom, I've run my budget up agin the wall :-).

StoneAge
StoneAgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #29
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,382
ZEID, have you been offered a ride in a Ural ?
If you do get the offer, take it. If you enjoy the ride then ask to do a slow drive in a quiet no traffic area.

Anyone in this area who has time & incline to show off your rig & tell your experience w/ your Uraling ?

Zeid, if you are willing to drive a distance to learn from an actual owner/rider there maybe a good riding bud building in the works.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #30
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,961
I have a 1150gsa based rig but often think that a Ural would have served me just as well and better a few times. Most of my riding is done on 2 lane paved and unpaved roads,Ural speed and power would be fine, in a few instances the 2wd would be a plus.DB