Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #46
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
You would think, but to break even the payoff is near 20 grand on it. With all the equip it's a pretty solid deal even at that, but me and selling vehicles = extremely agonizingly bad process full of bad people and much frustration and I've never tried to sell a motorcycle worth this much before. I forsee many hardships to get it sold.
Throw it up on the flea market here. Lots of people love that triple black gs. In general people on adv know what the bmws are worth and are great to deal with. It may sell faster than you expect.

Sell the gs and find a good Ural dealer. A good dealer is worth their weight in gold. My "local" dealer was four hours away. If I ever bought another Ural it would be from them, Dave and Jon at Heindl engineering are great guys.
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #47
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Throw it up on the flea market here. Lots of people love that triple black gs. In general people on adv know what the bmws are worth and are great to deal with. It may sell faster than you expect.

Sell the gs and find a good Ural dealer. A good dealer is worth their weight in gold. My "local" dealer was four hours away. If I ever bought another Ural it would be from them, Dave and Jon at Heindl engineering are great guys.
Eh, what the heck. Guess it couldn't hurt, even with my phobia of selling things I wouldn't mind dealing with fellow inmates.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955009
Old 02-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #48
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
If it does not sell... Put a sidecar on it!! Not as fun as a Ural....but close!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #49
sasha_j
full time RV'er

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Here's the problem... The Dealership.
Oh well, I tried.
Sorry to hear this. Was this the Ural Dealer in Scottsdale? Th one that sells a zillion brands?
Old 02-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #50
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
Im glad someone else mentioned the ugly new colors. I got dawgpiled in the SS forum for declaring Ural dummies for eliminating the cammo pattern for gear ups. I guess they really like the pastel colors. The grey doesn't look too bad but I was hoping to get back into a cammo FI ural in 2 years. Miss mine, they are wicked fun. Good thing my buddies arctic cammo is being stored in my garage presently!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #51
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,558
This years LE may be camo...you never know.

Or get an Asphault and a few cans of plasti dip and make your own camo.

whiners

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #52
sasha_j
full time RV'er

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post

whiners
+1

color me happy with the 2014 color choices
Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #53
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,386
Quote:
You would think, but to break even the payoff is near 20 grand on it. With all the equip it's a pretty solid deal even at that, but me and selling vehicles = extremely agonizingly bad process full of bad people and much frustration and I've never tried to sell a motorcycle worth this much before. I forsee many hardships to get it sold.
Yeah, I do too, sorry. You owe full retail value according to NADA. It would be impossible to take it in trade and pay it off, and still make money.
And a lot of people don't want to pay full retail value from a private party. There's some weird perception that you owe them a discount since you don't have dealer overhead. If you're set on trading it (or selling) you should pay down extra principal every month.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #54
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
This years LE may be camo...you never know.

Or get an Asphault and a few cans of plasti dip and make your own camo.

whiners
This. You're Ural owners for fucks sakes! You have to change oil, adjust valves, way more often than other riders do how hard is it get some spray bombs and masking tape?!

Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #55
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
I was talking about this with my wife's dad. He figure all you old fuckers are used to those colors from the 50's Chevys. That's cool, guess I just like the military aspect of the bike over the vintage "new" colors. There are a lot of purple harelys out there too I guess.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #56
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
I was talking about this with my wife's dad. He figure all you old fuckers are used to those colors from the 50's Chevys. That's cool, guess I just like the military aspect of the bike over the vintage "new" colors. There are a lot of purple harelys out there too I guess.
The new "Sage" color looks exactly like a wool WWI uniform shirt I used to have, in pix at least.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #57
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha_j View Post
Sorry to hear this. Was this the Ural Dealer in Scottsdale? Th one that sells a zillion brands?
Yep, that's the one. Use caution when dealing with them.

Zeid screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 12:20 AM
Zeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:18 AM   #58
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Yeah, I do too, sorry. You owe full retail value according to NADA. It would be impossible to take it in trade and pay it off, and still make money.
And a lot of people don't want to pay full retail value from a private party. There's some weird perception that you owe them a discount since you don't have dealer overhead. If you're set on trading it (or selling) you should pay down extra principal every month.
I dunno, I figure that if I really give it a legit shot, put it up on cycle trader, etc I might can get just at 20,000 for it. I could pay off the difference from there, heck by then it should be a little lower anyways.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #59
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
I dunno. There's a 13' I might can get a fantastic deal on, equipped just the way I want it.

A big thing I'm considering is this...

From what I can see and from what I've heard from many others, a URAL is DEFINITELY an adventure bike. I'm not talking about taking it on the most difficult trails imaginable but just across rough roads, dirt roads, fire trails and mainly out into the middle of no where camping and through the backroads across this country and others.

I just keep hearing from some people that these things are so unreliable that taking them more than a half hour away from home is risky.

It seems like an ideal adventure platform, I'm just wondering about how unreliable they are. I love traveling around places via backroads and would love adventuring like that, but can it make it? I don't care if it can't cruise over 65mph, I don't want to. I like to enjoy the ride.

What do you folks say to this...?

Couldn't even read to the end of the thread to see the other responses. Maybe the pre-2007 bikes had some issues (but recognize that with the supplied tool kit, a scissor jack chunk 'o wood and a big F size rock you can fix them on the side of the road).

But the more recent bikes (I'm on a 2011 GU) do just fine. Riding from south Florida to the Biltmore Rally last year we had to stop to get a BMW repaired on the way. The Ural provided transport to lunch while we waited for the beemer to be done. Was asked to provide photography support at the rally as well. Vasily just keeps on running (22,000 km+).

The only limit to adventure is gas and tires. I carry two 10L cans and change my own tires. As folks say, travel time is on the leisure side. On the trip we were going 55-60 on back roads with rare short stints on Interstate to make a connection. I'm 6'4" AND 230 lbs. The harley seat is great and unbends my knees as it sits higher than the stocker. Still, you stop for gas on a regular schedule so legs don't get that bent. Did need the 2WD in wet sand one time, but mostly no.

If your looking for a turnkey bike with no wrenching required, a Ural is not for you. Regular maintenance is easy, no computers need apply.

I might go for a 2014 for the fuel injection and disk brakes, but I'm not giving up my NATO camo yet. Besides it's paid for

PS I've got a 2010 BMW RT as well. Super for long rides where interstate or great distance and little time involved. (But I'm almost retired so time is not going to be a big issue soon)

Whatever you do, have fun! Every Day!
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #60
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply. I guess I could always learn a little mechanical skill, enough to work on the Ural. Is it too terribly difficult? I'm usually mechanically retarded, but certainly not the worst.