ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
"Keep in mind these states are QUITE a bit bigger and an entire state in a day is A LOT of riding."

+1 What Scott said.
Portland to YellowStone is 1000 miles...one way. The states out here are BIG.
This is a great place to ride bikes..but it not the easiest roads to ride. Very few guard rails....etc.

Tour Portland, go to the coast and then see Mnt St, Helens in the same day??
Nope! Not going to happen.

You want a nice sweet heart ride....look up Two Bobs ride in the ride reports.
Canada Rockies...big open roads...Woot!
DiggerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,246
I'm getting married in June and our honeymoon is also a ride. Bit of a different approach then you, but getting out still the same. Also posting in regionals http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949730

Like others have said, the dates you want to go are very important to sugestions. Everything is very seasonal here. In my opinion, mid to late July or mid to late September are the perfect times to explore the pacific NW.
It's hard to go wrong on state highways and county roads, and there's lots of them!
You're going to get overloaded with suggestions.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD View Post
"Keep in mind these states are QUITE a bit bigger and an entire state in a day is A LOT of riding."
Well, Georgia isn't exactly small, but distances are a consideration out here. If Harney County were a state it would be larger than each of six of the others.

Quote:
This is a great place to ride bikes..but it not the easiest roads to ride. Very few guard rails....etc.
Well, there is that...

...but that just makes the ride interesting.
Quote:
Tour Portland, go to the coast and then see Mnt St, Helens in the same day??
Nope! Not going to happen.
Nothing to see at the Coast anyway.

And, why would you want to go to Mt. St. Helens?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #19
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,324
I've done the Yellowstone thing on my Harley and on my Beemer. Both were good choices. Rule #1. Keep Momma Happy. If she isn't happy ain't nobody happy! With that in mind a Gold Wing, Big Harley or a Big Beemer would be a good choice. Stay on the pavement and off the interstate as much as possible. I normally take hwy 26 through Prineville to Mt Vernon. Then hwy 395 to Ukiah and hwy 244 to La Grande. Then hwy 82 to Enterprise and hwy 3 to Lewiston. Hwy 12 into Montana. If I pretty much just ride it takes me two days from the Oregon Coast to Missoula Montana. From there you have choices either head for West Yellowstone via Ennis or do one of my tricks and head for Glacier Park. You can drop out the East end of Glacier and hook up with Yellowstone from the East. My favorite time of the year to do this is right after Labor Day. Yellowstone SUCKS during peak tourist season. Let the rugrats go back to school then the herd thins out considerably. June is too early around here for the high country.

There is nothing wrong with spending your time touring Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, Crater Lake, Redwoods and back up the coast.

Rule # 2....Be Safe

Rule # 3....Have Fun
Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #20
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by caminante View Post
Locals start riding when it's above freezing.

The hard part is: once you get east of the Cascades, there's a whole lot of nothing for about 300-450 miles.

You couldn't be more wrong if you were paid. Climb out from under your rock. There is a whole big world out there. Go check it out then report back.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #21
Almost There
Up, up, and away

Oddometer: 308
If you are really set on Yellowstone I would fly into SLC. You could easily spend a week just in Oregon or Washington without seeing half of it. I've done the drive from Portland to Yellowstone a few times and unless you really get off the direct route it isn't all that exciting. If you do get off I-84 and see the good stuff you will never make it to Idaho.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #22
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,987
If I were crossing the nation with the intent to ride some of the west coast,, I would NOT miss the North Cascades highway.
Hmmm,, must see spots for me would be,

Oregon Coast, the south end, Whiskey Run beach area, where you can still drive on the beach. It's as Oregon coast as you can get, without the touristy crap.

Crater Lake,,nothing like it on a bright sunny day! You have never seen a blue like that!
then Warshington,,,

Olympic rain forest.You can see the past in the way a natural forest grows.

then as mentioned, ride over the North Very Beautiful Cascade Highway to the Winthrop side,, and pretty much all of hwy 97 is the same,, from northeren callifonya to BeeCee,,high desert, sage brush,,,on and on forever.

Mt. St. Helens is cool to see,,even more so I think, if you were here when it popped. It is pretty impressive, the immense scale of destruction.

If traveling by bike to the east,, I really like hwy 12 in Idaho,,a more bike friendly road hasn't been built,, cruise and enjoy the beauty, or rail at a bazillion mph! then get you from Puget Sound to Montana,,,and yer headed to yellastone.

Oh!,, and what about the biggest trees on earth,, the Redwoods are a day's ride from PDX.!
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #23
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by caminante View Post
Locals start riding when it's above freezing.

The hard part is: once you get east of the Cascades, there's a whole lot of nothing for about 300-450 miles, depending on your definition of nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
You couldn't be more wrong if you were paid. Climb out from under your rock. There is a whole big world out there. Go check it out then report back.

Whole lot of nothing. Don't go there.

LittlePosum riding a little slice of heaven in our state.

Mr Dual Sport screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 09:01 PM
Mr Dual Sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #24
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
7-10 days.........hmmmmm

Lots of good suggestions here. I'm surprised only one inmate here mentioned Glacier NP. Not knowing what the OP's comfort level will be on a big bike riding 2up .....I'd think there could be a big clockwise loop from Seattle that could be scenic and green on the Eastward top half to Glacier, drop down to Beartooth and Yellowstone and head back west either straight back to Portland , or perhaps go through Bend and hit Peterman's Redwoods and Crater Lake, take the OR-WA coastline back up to Portland. If you can find a bike rental place that you could pick it up in Seattle and drop it off in Portland.... I didn't map it out but I'm guessing that a 350-450 mile per day could get it done in 10 days.......or so.

We took our honeymoon on a 1976 CB750F in 1979 to Lake Louise. Hard to find more beautiful riding than the Canadian Rockies. I just found the pics from heading out the morning we left Selah, Wa. on Sept.1st, 1979. Great memories!
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #25
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,630
Live in Cashmere, a couple hours east of Seattle on Hwy 2. I'll second the opinions on May being a little early for some of the passes. Peterman is right, Hwy 20/North Cascades Highway is a must. If your intent is to make time, I5 north out of Portland and then I90 east, but it's all slab.
PM me or keep posting when the dates get firmer, I'll let you know local conditions.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #26
caminante
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
I only meant from the perspective of the OP trying to get from Seattle to Yellowstone. Yeah, there's brilliant stuff (which is also why I included the caveat "depending on your definition of nothing.") If the dude's expecting PNW fern/pine/moss/green from PDX to Jellystone, he's in for a sudden shock.

Cheers!

"The trajectory is determined by the traveler, not the path." -- Fred Clark
caminante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #27
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,746
Lots of good suggestions here. I'm especially supportive of the notion of trying to guarantee success for the bride. Since you two enjoy riding together but haven't done long miles together, large western states may not be the best option for learning whether or not you enjoy thousands of miles (literally) in the saddle together.

Portland is amazing, as is all of Oregon...truly a wonderful state to explore. A couple of semi-random thoughts....

A loop down through Oregon wine country, then over the mountains to the coast can be done quite easily. Cannon Beach is our absolute favorite, but lots of folks like Seaside (they're quite close, in any event). Riding up the coast from there to Astoria is a nice sample of a bit of this lovely coast. From there, it's quite close to hop on I-5 and head up to Mt St Helens. This is, indeed, a spectacular thing to see.

The stretch from there to Seattle is utterly boring freeway, but alternatives abound if you're not pressed for time. Poking along the state roads east of I-5 is a lot of fun. The Olympic Peninsula is a whole other world...more rugged coast and rain forest like nowhere else in the USA. That would eat a few days.

Seattle itself is a fantastic tourist destination. There are some very nice boutique hotels downtown that are great and cheap (esp if you use Hotwire). The suggestion to check out Port Townsend is a great idea...this little town has a justifiable reputation for being cool. Some of the best food in the northwest, too (literally). From Seattle, a ferry ride across Puget Sound puts you most of the way there. From PT, another ferry across to Whidbey Island could end in a day ride up along Whidbey and then down along the water on secondary roads back to Seattle would be amazing, or you could take the shortcut from Whidbey to the mainland on yet another ferry. Of course, a detour of a couple of days up to the San Juan Islands would be magical, something unlike anywhere else in the lower 48. Yes, Victoria, BC could be a day trip or one overnight from either the San Juans or from Port Angeles, just a bit further west of Port Townsend. Victoria is one of our favorite bike weekend destinations for SabreWife and me. Heck, even a buzz up to Vancouver, which reminds me a lot of Hong Kong (geographically, architecturally, and culturally) would be an easy and quick thing. From downtown Vancouver to downtown Seattle is about 2-1/2 hours, barring heavy traffic.

With respect to Yellowstone, I'd seriously consider renting a car. Yes, eastern Washington, Idaho, and western Montana are stunning, amazingly beautiful parts of the country. They're also H U G E. We drove our teenage daughters to Yellowstone last summer and had a blast. We avoided the freeway entirely (well, almost), but moved right along and didn't stop too much for sightseeing. We camped out 4 nights on the way there, spent 3 nights at two campgrounds in the park, and camped 4 nights on the way back, coming back through the Tetons.

If you got on I-90 and droned over to Montana, you'd shave a lot of time off that, but that's still something like 14 hours of solid, boring freeway driving.

One other thing to consider is to hop the Amtrak over to Whitefish, MT, and visit Glacier National Park. You could then rent a car and run down to Yellowstone easily enough. That's a stunningly beautiful train ride.

The weather...well, be prepared for anything, especially west of the Cascades. Our nickname for June out here is "Juneuary," because it's famous for being often cold and rainy. Even July can be quite iffy; I scheduled an outdoor wedding for the end of July a lifetime ago and all my family from the southeast stood there in the cool drizzle, shivering. Of course, both months could be fantastic, but I wouldn't bet money on it. The best chance of good weather would be August and September. Of course, once you're east of the Cascades you're much more likely to see hot, sunny, low-humidity weather for the entire summer.

My pre-caffeinated ramblings...good luck!

Sabre screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 11:00 AM
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #28
caminante
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
With all these mentions of the Washington ferries, it's worth noting that motorcycles get head-of-line privileges which is a serious plus in the summer months.

Last summer, I sprinted from Seattle, up Whidbey Island, out and around San Juan Island and was back home for dinner. It's not a huge feat as far as miles, but I'd like to see anyone do that in on four wheels in the summer with 2-3 hour wait lines.

"The trajectory is determined by the traveler, not the path." -- Fred Clark
caminante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #29
Glow Guy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Good information coming in. I'm going to have to spend some time on each of the long posts comparing comments to maps.

I have consulted with my sweetie about how the timing of a spring wedding in Georgia, may not equal a fantastic time to ride the PNW. She suggested that the two events do not have to be chronologically connected. So the timing of the ride can be pushed back from the wedding, allowing for optimal seasonal experience.

As for the rental ride. I would prefer and really hope to rent a BMW. Any suggestions on a place that would rent a K 1600 GTL? We are going to hit some local shops to test sit on the bike models before we do this trip. I'm not a Harley dude,no offense Harley dudes, I just tend to wear a full suit of armor, full face helmet, earplugs to protect from hearing loss, etc. I enjoy riding and want to make sure that I can continue doing it for a long time by protecting myself on every ride. But at the same time, I don't want to be prejudging a bike that I have never ridden based on the riding habits of the majority of people that ride said bikes.

We are also going to do some long local rides to make sure she is up for it. My expectation is she will be just fine with it, but you know, there is like training to do and stuff. You can't just go do some great big western ride without doing some hardcore training. That will probably involve some rides up in North Carolina, Blue Ridge Mtns. etc. I'll insist that we must do a Deals Gap run before doing anything so ambitious as the ride we are discussing.

That being said, part of the trip is about seeing some of the wonders of that part of the world, but there is also a component of just putting down miles on asphalt and seeing nothing but the road passing by. I'll look into flying in to SLC but, many years ago I traveled as far west as Fresno, CA and never made it to the Pacific. So, I'd really like to include the west coast as part of this ride. If we need more time, then we will just have to schedule more days for the trip.

Alright, back to looking at all the suggestions.
Glow Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #30
Glow Guy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dual Sport View Post

Whole lot of nothing. Don't go there.

LittlePosum riding a little slice of heaven in our state.

We are going to have to keep it on the paved roads most likely for this trip, but yeah, I don't mind that kind of nothing. Oh and, nice flask.
Glow Guy is offline   Reply With Quote