Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #16
billmags
Scoot Jockey

Oddometer: 143
PayPal is good for buying a $20 t-shirt. And that's all.

Good luck- a serious buyer will have no problem doing a bank check or transfer.

Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Yamaha TW200
billmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #17
gearheadE30 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely not going with Paypal - it turns out that their 'protection' doesn't cover vehicles. I sell a lot of stuff on eBay and via paypal, but there's just too much money involved in this one.

the direct bank-to-bank transfer seems like a good way to go, as does the bank check. The buyer seems reasonably up and up, and though he's not on ADV, he's on the gsresources and has a decent enough presence there. Though a big part of me is considering calling him back and saying I'm not too interested in selling unless it's local or there is some way to pay directly in cash, which is normally my stipulation selling things like a bike or a car.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon, TBI 5.7, NV3500 5-speed, lowered, etc...bike hauler
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #18
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Buy It Now and payment with bank transfer. That's a tough one to defraud.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #19
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
I wouldn't hit my dead dog in the azz w/PayPal or Ebay anymore... their whole thing has seemed to change in the last few months, Ebay is almost all commercial sellers now.... and there is absolutely NO recourse in any problems w/either of them, all they have is incredibly amorphous verbage saying nothing on their faq pages, and it's totally impossible to contact anyone for anything like an answer....and this is YOUR MONEY that they're messing with.... i'm really amazed that they're still in bizness and exist at all.... they're just making $$$ off dumb people who are buying overpriced overstock items from commercial vendors.... there really don't seem to be any good deals anymore....

as to the original question.... bank check when cleared, or postal money order.... postal money orders are the best, only cost a couple of bucks....
Dave,,,,,,,, where ever do you get this stuff from?

Ebay is not all commercial sellers,paypal does great on backing up sellers and buyers. Ive had 1 issue in 5 years and had Paypal on the phone in minutes and we chatted for 1/2 hour and sorted it out.

Ebay is what it is,but they have tons of rules and if it wasnt safe to deal on there there wouldnt be millions of people doing it everyday.
Its not all bad believe me.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
Buy It Now and payment with bank transfer. That's a tough one to defraud.
Id do that. Direct and secure. Buyer and seller have to trust each other a little at some point.
Or sell local.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #21
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmags View Post
PayPal is good for buying a $20 t-shirt. And that's all.

Good luck- a serious buyer will have no problem doing a bank check or transfer.
6 years in full time business with paypal and ebay with out a single glitch,many thousands a day sometimes come in from all over the world.
No problems to report,sorry.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #22
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Dave,,,,,,,, where ever do you get this stuff from?

Ebay is not all commercial sellers,paypal does great on backing up sellers and buyers. Ive had 1 issue in 5 years and had Paypal on the phone in minutes and we chatted for 1/2 hour and sorted it out.

Ebay is what it is,but they have tons of rules and if it wasnt safe to deal on there there wouldnt be millions of people doing it everyday.
Its not all bad believe me.
I used to play on ebay a lot... bought a whole tool crib fulla endmills and machine stuff, used to be one of the best deals on there....

I was just trying to sell an old Harley chopper I had... set up a free listing, renewed it a bunch of times.... all of a sudden, I had a $20 charge for the last renewal?... maybe it was in the fine print for the 7th renewal, or something, I dunno, but I never saw it, and wouldn't have renewed if I did.... I had canceled my PayPal account, but they still had the router number for my checking account, which is what was on the PayPal account.... the bastards took $20 straight outta my account!! I did not authorize the transaction at all!!... I disputed the charge, and I disputed it at the bank, and the bank refunded my $$$$, and I gotta new card number .... Ebay never communicated back, and now my account is suspended....I think they must have gotten a nastygram from the bank, and ebay/paypal refunded them, I've never really checked back. totally credit card fraud..... it was no way a legal transaction to take $$$ from my account w/out my knowledge.... it was just the principal of the thing, they went directly into my checking account and removed $$$ without my knowledge or consent.... $20 ain't much, but I will never use PayPal again....

Maybe you have good luck, but I think Ebay sux!! it's nothing but resellers now, and most of the stuff is real overpriced. I sold a bunch of bike parts there, but the fees are getting pretty high also.... I dunno how you actually got to talk to a person there, I've tried and I never get a response except for some amorphous bullshit that pretty much means nothing....

they can generally kiss my AZZ, and i'm taking my business elsewhere.... YMMV....

davesupreme screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 10:13 PM
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #23
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely not going with Paypal - it turns out that their 'protection' doesn't cover vehicles. I sell a lot of stuff on eBay and via paypal, but there's just too much money involved in this one.

the direct bank-to-bank transfer seems like a good way to go, as does the bank check. The buyer seems reasonably up and up, and though he's not on ADV, he's on the gsresources and has a decent enough presence there. Though a big part of me is considering calling him back and saying I'm not too interested in selling unless it's local or there is some way to pay directly in cash, which is normally my stipulation selling things like a bike or a car.
Sell the Bike! Its not brain salad surgery. ME I like CASH! But in the real world like many have said, Bank to Bank wire transfer! BUT! There is one more step in the process I did not read so far. I always delay shipment of any thing I have sold with wire transfers till I remove the monies wired to my specified wire account to another completely separate account. Just because its wired it aint over, they still have a string attached to it. Banks make mistakes (yes they are human) and can address that within a certain time frame. DON'T allow this to happen to you. It's simple. Walk into the bank, or do it on you puter from home. Just transfer it over to another account. Your golden!
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,759
Sold a car a few years ago. Guy sent me a Paypal for about 1/3 the total. When the transport came to pick it up, he had the balance in a cashier's check. I gave him the car and pink. Off it went to Ohio. Everyone involved were protected.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #25
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
yes, their protection does not protect THE BUYER for vehicles. the seller is protected for paypal sales of vehicles on ebay. i've had a deal go bad via ebay/paypal for a vehicle. i had proof of shipment, he disputed the paypal payment, i sent paypal the proof of shipment and the line in their agreement that talks about the no protection for vehicles, and the money was back in my account in 24 hours. i don't know why anyone would email paypal, you can call them and get an answer in 5 minutes.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #26
gearheadE30 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
I appreciate all the advice. I did end up selling the bike locally, as the whole situation was making me a bit uncomfortable. Normally I would have gone though with it, but was getting a really weird feeling about the prospective buyer after talking to him a few times.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon, TBI 5.7, NV3500 5-speed, lowered, etc...bike hauler
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #27
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Those instincts are usually accurate. Saved me from a few things that turned out to be frauds. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:43 AM   #28
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,307
Better to be safe and out a few buck then out of a GS.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #29
GBen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
United States Postal Money Orders.
GBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #30
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,095
^^^
This

Had an acquaintance sell his Harley for cash. Guy paid in $100 bills. Monday rolls around and he goes to the bank. Money is no good and he went through hell with the Gubmint (black suits, handcuffs, etc). Never saw the bike again and never saw a dime.

Postal MO is guaranteed, period... too many fake Cashier's checks and the PayPal option has already been discuss(ed).

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote