Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #31
NJjeff OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I'm in agreement with Larryboy. You have a power loss. The rich condition is caused because one cylinder is not getting enough fuel and misfires, so the unburned gas gets dumped into the exhaust.

You haven't mentioned any black smoke, or poor mileage, or the crappy suffocated feeling the engine gets with a too rich system.

I am not a big fan of fuel injector cleaners since I feel they do not do as thorough a cleaning as should be required but the Seafoam brand especially does make a noticeable difference usually, I'd suggest putting a can of that in and replacing the fuel filter is a good idea too.
The stumble, bog, comes in only at low RPM when I roll into the throttle. Example, Slow down, make turn, and re accelerate. If I use very little throttle and allow the RPM to slowly build I can than apply ever increasing throttle w/o a hesitation.
No black smoke that I have noticed. Mileage is normal. It has the feeling of no fuel. Like running out of fuel. But it does it at any fuel level.
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #32
NJjeff OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasser View Post
Unburned fuel/air mixture (misfire) would not cause this code to set and STFT & LTFT to go negative. If he had misfires, he should also see P03XX codes.

P0172 means that the average LTFT on bank 1 is below a predetermined threshold for too long. The ECM is subtracting (negative ST & LT fuel trim) because something is causing a rich condition. Or at least the B1S1 O2s to report a rich condition.

Vacuum leak (intake), leaking injector(s), plugged air intake/filter, incorrect MAP readings (looks like that is ruled out,) fuel pressure high (regulator stuck,) restricted exhaust, fuel contaminated crankcase oil, evap purge problems or, quite possibly even a O2s reading incorrectly.
I cleared the codes afew days ago but the light is back on. After I type this I'll read the code(s) and post. I have to get off line and carry the laptop to the car.
Yes it's seems to keep subtracting at times. Because once it builds RPM it runs as normal as it always has.

To answer some of the areas to check.
Vacuum leak: Could be. My main concern is the evap. system. I think I listed in an earlier post this system has had a few problems. I was thinking of plugging up the vac. line off the intake that draws through the purge cont. valve to isolate that system.
Leaking injectors: I guess with a fuel pressure gauge I could check the leak down rate after the car is off. Also answers the fuel pressure reg. question. Looks like a bolted in test port is required. It fit's between the fuel rail and the fuel line flange adaptor.
Air Filter: Is not too old, but I can easily check if mice made a nest. I'll do that when I check and clear the codes.
Crank case oil is about due for a change but I just checked it and does not smell of gas or appear diluted.
I will try to take a screen shot or a picture of the O2 readings and post it.

Can you tell a vacuum leak from the MAP readings at idle?
Old 02-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #33
NJjeff OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage1967 View Post
I would start with a fresh set of oxegen sensors . .yes,all of them. it's past due for new ones. Rest the fuel trims to default if you can or simply clear the memory by disconnecting the battery for a few min. Drive it & see what happens . . .

If the problem comes back. Test the injector spray patterns. maybe you have a leaky injector or two on that one bank.

These are the most likely things to cause a code for one bank running rich.
I'm thinking of changing out the O2 sensors but I'm kinda not sure as the readings look normal.

road_apple
Timing Belt. Check for missing teeth. DAMHINT.

I changed it at 80 K miles. It could be but it does idle and run on the highway normally.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #34
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff View Post
Vacuum leak: Could be.
What a vacuum leak would cause is for MAP or MAF readings to be off (thinking less air is originally entering the engine to begin with) and, the ECM would prematurely start to go negative fuel trim to compensate. This is going off of GM strategy. Hyundai may be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJjeff View Post
Can you tell a vacuum leak from the MAP readings at idle?
Throw an old school vacuum gauge on it and see what you actually have at idle. Standard is ~17-22 in hg. Will vary with altitude. You should be at the higher end in NJ near sea level. A couple easy ways to check for vacuum leaks are use carb clean to spray around the intake, fittings, injectors. See if RPM changes or, watch your scan tool B1S1/B2S1 02s readings change.

Another way is to use propane to check for leaks. Same thing, look for RPM/02s changes.

Or, smoke test the intake.

Looks like Hyundai is charging $ to access service info. ($20 ain't bad) Take a swing by the local library and see if they have AllData Pro. It is usually a reprint of original service info. See what the code set criteria is, conditions for running diagnostics and, testing for this code. This is going to give you more information on what to watch for on your scan tool readings.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #35
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,727
+1 on the library, also check online. Our regional library has a LOT of info online, you just need a library card number to access it for free.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #36
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,176
Maybe this will help?

http://blog.fcpeuro.com/2014/02/13/d...warning-signs/

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #37
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I'm in agreement with Larryboy. You have a power loss. The rich condition is caused because one cylinder is not getting enough fuel and misfires, so the unburned gas gets dumped into the exhaust.

You haven't mentioned any black smoke, or poor mileage, or the crappy suffocated feeling the engine gets with a too rich system.

I am not a big fan of fuel injector cleaners since I feel they do not do as thorough a cleaning as should be required but the Seafoam brand especially does make a noticeable difference usually, I'd suggest putting a can of that in and replacing the fuel filter is a good idea too.

I see it as an injector dribbling when it should be closed, common rail and the injector is a shutoff valve. It's a perceived lean bog, but the data says it's a rich bog. I don't use snake oils, waste of my time. Downstream codes are an upstream problem 98% of the time, bad O2 sensor is extremely rare, but shops talk people into them all the time.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #38
NJjeff OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I see it as an injector dribbling when it should be closed, common rail and the injector is a shutoff valve. It's a perceived lean bog, but the data says it's a rich bog. I don't use snake oils, waste of my time. Downstream codes are an upstream problem 98% of the time, bad O2 sensor is extremely rare, but shops talk people into them all the time.
Weather has been very crummy lately. It's hard to tell much when driving in snow and I didn't want the distraction of a cable by my left foot and hardware on the passenger seat.
But weather is improving so I hope to re-run the laptop during my commute tomorrow.

larryboy, your post is interesting.
Thinking out loud here for a test:
So when throttle is closed at say highway speed injectors are shut off. The forward O2 sensor should remain near .1 volts (lots of oxygen, very lean) and stay there until some throttle is reapplied and injectors begin cycling.
If above is correct than a dribbling injector would keep the forward O2 sensor at a higher (richer) value.
Do I understand this correctly?
If that is the case how does a mechanic determine which injector is leaking? Also can you tell an injector is dribbling by a fuel pressure decay test (engine off)? The manual speaks more of regulator leakdown during a decay test.