User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Motornoggin OP
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,933
What's it worth? 69' Triumph t100c

I acquired a Triumph, 69' T100c Street Scrambler 500cc twin. It's mostly complete, missing the original bars/controls (it has mini apes now), shift lever, kicker, one foot peg and I'm sure a few ancillaries here and there. It's a roller, tank is clean inside, carb and air box is present, and it looks like with a bit of work, it could be a runner. It was stored in a plumbing warehouse for at least the last 25-30 years and the odo (if it's the original speedo) reads around 7k miles or so. The PO is still trying to find the title (can affect the value). What is something like this worth? I've done a bit of research, but there is not much out there. I don't have a photo I can get on here yet, but it's a typical Triumph.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
If your truly interested in restoration or value contact Randy Baxter, Baxter Cycle Marne Ia. You'll be glad!

http://www.baxtercycle.com/
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Motornoggin OP
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Cool, thanks!

I'm waffling... One minute I want to get it going and see if it's worth restoring. The next minute, I don't know if I want to take on a project again (used to restore cars for a "living").

Old 02-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,376
There is a world of difference between restoring, and just getting the thing running.

Without seeing pictures it is hard to give a value, is the motor seized?

Now if it were me in your position, buying a non running bike, without title, I would value the bike as parts, so maybe I would offer $750 - $1200 depending on condition.

Then try to get the thing running with as little investment as I could, oil, tyres, plugs, bars, and cables.

I would then ride the hell out of it all summer, just as it is.

Go buy the damn thing!
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,015
Photos help. Double check the fasteners. I believe that by '69 everything was metric. My '67 is whitworth. Every nut and bolt is expensive to replace if missing. Sounds like everything that yours is missing is available from a number of sources. I have Moore's cycle right by the house. He's got lots of parts https://moorescyclecenter.com/
Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,907
[QUOTE=groop;23453783. I believe that by '69 everything was metric. My '67 is whitworth.[/QUOTE]

I had a '71 T100C that I restored. There is nothing on this era of British Triumph that is metric. '69 was the year they made the conversion to standard thread (UNF & UNC). That being said, you will find some fasteners that are some of the older thread sizes (British Standard Cycle, etc.) from that year going forward. My guess is that they were cleaning out the parts bins.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
Motocolumbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motornoggin View Post
Cool, thanks!

I'm waffling... One minute I want to get it going and see if it's worth restoring. The next minute, I don't know if I want to take on a project again (used to restore cars for a "living").
I've been half way looking for a T100C. I might be interested in taking it off your hands if you decide not to go for it. I'm in Billings, MT.
Brendan
04 Ducati Multistrada
05 Sportster with Velorex hack
Motocolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Motornoggin OP
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocolumbo View Post
I've been half way looking for a T100C. I might be interested in taking it off your hands if you decide not to go for it. I'm in Billings, MT.
Brendan
Brendan, I'll waffle a bit more, ladle on a little syrup, then? I'll definitely keep that in mind and keep you posted. There is a local guy that I hear is interested, but he hasn't actually spoken with me about it.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
Motornoggin OP
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Thanks for the resources! I love the idea of a finished bike, but not convinced of the journey, yet. Maybe as spring nears I'll have a more optimistic outlook. In the mean time, I'll work on getting a few photos up.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
Before-

of course you can restore and have more money in it than it's worth, but they are beautiful. Everybody seems to want a 650 though????

Most fasteners are SAE, some will be Witworth. Look out for the reverse threaded plug for the Tach drive.

The 500 is an underedapreciated motor. Better than the 650, smoother..yes I did say smooth and referring to a Triumph, than the 650. The motor likes to rev too. Fun in town bike and sounds good.

I had a 70 T100C and with a gentle prime kick, mine always fired 1st time, even when sitting months between starts. The key being the cycling w/o spark. Loved kick starting that bike, when all the "biker" type HD riders would just hit their electric start. HD's are so boring, a Triumph has a soul!!!

With the right polish on the AL and stainless fenders it's a damn pretty bike.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 08:54 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
There is a world of difference between restoring, and just getting the thing running.

Without seeing pictures it is hard to give a value, is the motor seized?

Now if it were me in your position, buying a non running bike, without title, I would value the bike as parts, so maybe I would offer $750 - $1200 depending on condition.

Then try to get the thing running with as little investment as I could, oil, tyres, plugs, bars, and cables.

I would then ride the hell out of it all summer, just as it is.

Go buy the damn thing!
I bought Shed find T120v a couple of weeks back, my plan was to get it unseized, and get it running.It had not run since 1981 and has 23K on the clock.
The Norton forum I frequent suggested that unless you clean out the sludge trap your riding days could end abruptly.

So one week later...

Spark plugs were seized

If I parted it out might have made a few bucks.
Estimate the best part of $1000 NZ to get it running.
Then I'm going to ride it as it and piss off the Vintage Bike community.
Last T100 unit I had nearly every part was flogged out, rebuilding that sort of bike starts to add up.
Only metric parts are the mains.
Good Luck.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:41 AM   #12
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,110
I still kick myself for passing on a sweet little 500 twin with the high pipes and polished alloy tank. Damn damn damn. I so love those little bikes.
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
Motornoggin OP
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Finally able to get a few pics loaded into smugmug.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #14
Motornoggin OP
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Before-

of course you can restore and have more money in it than it's worth, but they are beautiful. Everybody seems to want a 650 though????

Most fasteners are SAE, some will be Witworth. Look out for the reverse threaded plug for the Tach drive.

The 500 is an underedapreciated motor. Better than the 650, smoother..yes I did say smooth and referring to a Triumph, than the 650. The motor likes to rev too. Fun in town bike and sounds good.

I had a 70 T100C and with a gentle prime kick, mine always fired 1st time, even when sitting months between starts. The key being the cycling w/o spark. Loved kick starting that bike, when all the "biker" type HD riders would just hit their electric start. HD's are so boring, a Triumph has a soul!!!

With the right polish on the AL and stainless fenders it's a damn pretty bike.

She's a beaut! Turned out really nice!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
Motocolumbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
The front brake looks to be single leading shoe variety used on '67 and earlier. Compare the front brake on yours to One Less Harley's double leading shoe front. Although it's possible that the T100C's retained the SLS whereas the T100Rs had switched over. The handlebars indicate that a previous owner had seen "Easy Rider", and I guess there's no exhaust. Otherwise, if you don't go for it let me know, I just have to shovel a little bit of snow from in front of my trailer.
Brendan
04 Ducati Multistrada
05 Sportster with Velorex hack
Motocolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote