Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #16
2WheelsOnly
woodsrider

Oddometer: 93
Since it has an oring on the bolt, you should not need to torque it hard to seal. If you are concerned about it vibrating loose, you could cross-drill a small hole through each bolt head to safety wire between the two bolt heads. They won't rotate that way. Just some alternative ideas.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:04 AM   #17
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
success at last

So i thought long and hard at the available options. I wanted to do a reasonably good repair without any goof ups so that the cross threaded hole didn't get any worse.

I had a few choices, amongst using a thread chaser - either buy one (but none were available in M16 & M17 sizes) or get one fabbed up (time - efforts) Or buy one of the other thread cleaning tools i had linked earlier for (delay in getting it from US - couldn't find one locally). In the end i chose to go with filing off the first few threads and a longer drain plug in order to give it enough threads to securely go into the hole.

First i went to a local lathe shop and got new plugs turned.

the M17 is a non-standard size and the guys had to turn up a new one from a larger bolt. They also had to drill out the internal aand cut a groove to hold the screen as well for both the longer plugs.

then i bought a set of these nice little files (i only had the regular 9" long round file with me) and got to work slowly, taking my time to smooth out the first 2-3 threads which were damaged.

After every few movements, i would using lube oil, clean up the filings from the hole. Finally, success when the new bolts went in true without much issues.

made sure that both the plugs went in all the way properly, fitted the screen on the engine oil plug and now have to wait until monday to get a new screen for the gear oil plug as the shop guys lost it while turning up the new plugs

Thankfully i didn't have to down the engine or make the problem worse. Thanks to all who gave me your suggestions and advise, it was very helpful in taking the right decision and more over, doing the job right without goofing up.
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:46 AM   #18
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
you got it fixed and got to smell cutting oil in a machine shop for a while too, sweet!