User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
redtails OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Why a Sidecar

I'm 58 and have been riding motorcycles most of my life, since I was 15. I'm really smitten with the 2014 Urals, my wife, not so much. She's only been a passenger since we met some 14 years ago and had absolutely no motorcycle experience before that. So she finds she really likes the motorcycle experience along with the "status" that goes with that. From her perspective, riding in the chair, she might as well be in a car.

So I have three questions to the ADVrider (Hack owner) brain trust;
1- Did your significant other change their mind once you brought home your rig and warm up to the charm?
2- More importantly, what drew you to the three wheeled experience in the first place, the need for more hauling capability, more stability, camping, the charm/social aspect of the sidecar or something else?
3- Do you continue to have a motorcycle and would never give up a bike that leans?

Appreciate your thoughts!
redtails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,751
1. My wife likes riding in the sidecar, not so much on the back of my bike.
2. Always wanted a sidecar rig so I bought one. I'm turning 72 soon so I can do anything I want.
3. Still have bikes that lean. Gonna keep them too.

Life is short, do it.
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P monkey sidecar
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 766
redtails

You and I are the same age. Always have had a motorcycle in the garage. I have owned 4 sidecars.Modern types with lean adjustments and Brakes too Old School.

Per your questions, here are my answers:

#1 Wife really kikes them. Allowed me take my kid's anywhere with me. Especially to school. Felt they were fun & safe mode of transportation.

#2 I got into sidecars only because they intrigued me. They are not motorcycle's but I was OK with that knowledge, they are their own Beast!

#3 I plan on owning motorcycle's and sidecar's right up to the day I die! If I cant ride them, I want my kid's to feel free to come ride them for me!
Currently Motorcycles are BMW GSA and BMW/2, Current sidecar rigs BMW /2 with a Ural tub and just today rolled into my garage a really weirdo bike called an "Amazonas" to make another sidecar rig

# I suggest. Go find a test ride, also have someone take you for a ride in the chair of any rig. You will either like it or you wont. They have their own special attraction

2 Centavo's

Remember, I don't know Jack Shit
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,244
1. I do not have an other, significant or other wise.

2. I got tired of not being able to get the motorcycle up and down the driveway for 4 or 5 months out of the year so I bought the Ural for Winter commuting and I liked it so much I hacked my GS for those long Summer trips to far away places like the East coast.

3. I still have 2 wheelers and can not see any reason to give those up.

I am also 58 but I have had the Ural since 2006.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
redtails OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Life is short, do it.
Yes, great answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
I suggest. Go find a test ride, also have someone take you for a ride in the chair of any rig.
I did, had a view from the chair and I drove it as well. I was impressed but I wanted my wife to like it also. I'm hoping it grows on her.

I too plan on owning a motorcyce of some sort until I die. "You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding."
Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 353
Wife seldom rides on the back anymore but will take a jaunt in the sidecar now and then when I have one.

I got my first one a few years back at age 54 wanting to explore every facet of motorcycling there is, was sorry I didn't get one sooner.

They are two different animals: the hack is incredibly fun in it's own right and my two wheelers I couldn't live without for different reasons.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,077
My wife has some back & hip problems, has never been able to sit on the bike for more than 1-2 hours without a break. Never made a long trip with me. When we got the hack added we took a 3 week, 3000 mile trip, had a great time. Now she wants to go more!
Don't currently have a solo bike & I'm OK with that.
Oh, just got my medicare card........
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
DJ1
Chopper Jockey

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtails View Post

1- Did your significant other change their mind once you brought home your rig and warm up to the charm?

My wife has been a rider(her own) for many years, we've traveled all over the North western states(US). When I brought the hack home and hooked it up, she wasn't going to ride in it. Everyone was going for rides the day we rolled it out, our daughter in law told her she needed to go. She now rides in the hack as much as on her own bike and has been a big push to get the Overland hack finished. We always take it to our get togethers and I'm always giving rides. One comment from a friends wife was "WOW I get this, I rode all over the place looking at the back of Rory's head, this is the way to go, I can see so much more!" She wants them to get one too. Both gals commented that you have the same feeling(freedom) as riding but you can look around and don't have to look around a helmet. They all seem to like the fact you're sitting almost side by side so communication is very easy even if its just a smile, comparied to 2 up where you can hear her almost to well and she has trouble hearing you, we don't have communication equipment.

2- More importantly, what drew you to the three wheeled experience in the first place, the need for more hauling capability, more stability, camping, the charm/social aspect of the sidecar or something else?

On top of all of these except the social aspect, I always thought they were cool, something about them. I have a inner ear problem, I have a hard time hearing and by balance isn't the best, as long as the bike is moving I'm OK, when I'm stopped it can be fun, the hack eliminated that fun.

3- Do you continue to have a motorcycle and would never give up a bike that leans?

Choppers 'till death... and sidecars too. That being said, if I wasn't into choppers I doubt I would have a bike without a hack on it. We do have a chopper with a hack on it, the play well together. I'll have a chopper till I can't ride or go away. With a hack I plan on having my grandson ride me around when I am unable to drive it myself, we've already worked out the deal, I'm buying the beer!

Appreciate your thoughts!
For respective, my bride and I are in our early 40's. I have been riding something or another for most of my life, she has been riding her own for about 10 years. After we put the first rig together, I knew I loved it, she drove it around a bit and loved it too, we took the STEP class together shortly afterwards, she drives it to school where she works when the weather is nice.

CTFR ride reports
-- 2013 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885931
--2014 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980991

DJ1 screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 01:52 PM Reason: Add more lies!
DJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
redtails OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
I rode all over the place looking at the back of Rory's head, this is the way to go, I can see so much more!" She wants them to get one too. Both gals commented that you have the same feeling(freedom) as riding but you can look around and don't have to look around a helmet.
Wow, that is brilliant. I've never thought of that since I'm never a passenger.

Unfortunately, my wife does not ride, she hardly even rides a bicycle, so her balance and confidence on two wheels is not there. She may be interested in "driving" the sidecar, but I do think once she gets the "no helmet in her way" perspective, she'll enjoy the the view from the chair!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
notacop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I had a rig for 25 or so years. The wife liked it until her hip problems and surgery made it too difficult to deal with. We pulled a tent trailer, Kwik Kamp. We had a lot of fun with it.
Once you get a rig to handle well, it's not a bad way to travel. Terrible gas mileage and wearing out parts though. Always some trade off.
I just went tot he Brass Monkey Sidecar Rally at Mecca beach in Calif. It's on the Salton Sea near Palm Springs.
Lots of rigs and trailers, old friends and crazy, fun people!
notacop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,025
1. Wife doesn't like being in the sidecar. Doesn't like being that close to the ground.
2. Always wanted a hack.
3. Have other bikes but the Ural gets ridden the most..
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215

My wife has some knee/hip issues. About an hour on the bike was enough. We've gone all day in the Ural, I don't think I can get her behind me again. Way more enjoyable for her.

I had been seeing the things at rallys and got intrigued with them. Had to own one to know if it was for me. And perhaps planning ahead for when I wouldn't be able to hold up a 'real' bike.

I think I have another 20 years or so of two wheelers (aren't there lots of guys in their 80's riding?).
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
Why?
Cause they're a blast to drive. I switched after 40 years of 2 wheelers...never a regret. Whether your wife will like it tomorrow or still next year is beyond the depth of my crystal ball. Only you and her can guess at that.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
Why not?

1- Q. Did your significant other change their mind once you brought home your rig and warm up to the charm?
A. The wife was reluctant at first but warmed up to it after a bit... loves it now. Nice to be able to look over at each other, add comm sets = perfect.
2- Q. More importantly, what drew you to the three wheeled experience in the first place, the need for more hauling capability, more stability, camping, the charm/social aspect of the sidecar or something else?
A. All of the above plus medical issue. Hard to argue the increased practicality of a rig... nice to be able to carry more stuff.
3- Q. Do you continue to have a motorcycle and would never give up a bike that leans?
A. Still enjoy riding 2 wheels.

Appreciate your thoughts! [/QUOTE]
Old 02-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
I am 58 too and lost a big part of my right arm use 4 years ago. My wife ride (XLCR, SL350, CB450, Fazer, Norton 400, XT225) but always wants to be behind me on bike vacations...
I can't ride two up big bikes anymore so we first bought a Can Am RT (on our 2nd now) and a Ural as it was not deemed safe for me to keep on riding in the dirt,
She likes short one day ride in the tub... But so far she stopped at that... I've been negotiating for an Alaska trip but to no avail: Can am 2 up or Ural+XT225....
Prmurat is online now   Reply With Quote