Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by warkshop View Post
I would point out that the OP was seeking input. Since most who responded were singing the glories of the Ural I was merely proposing an alternative. Though you would not know it from many of the folk on this forum not everyone is so impressed with said Urals. Like many things in life Urals have pluses and minuses,,,,it strikes me folk are bit slow sharing the full reality of the negatives. Much 'happy talk', and it seems rather thin skin!

"Shilling my wares ", forgive me for both trying to make an honest living and also not offend anyone in the process,,,,,give me a break. You can please some of the people some of the time,,,,,,,,,,
Maybe if you want folks that have respect for your choices and opinions, you could show a little more for theirs.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #17
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Maybe if you want folks that have respect for your choices and opinions, you could show a little more for theirs.
I personally don't think that anything said here by Warkshop was over the top and in fact there was some pretty good advice as to potentially hacking the Sportster the OP says he has. You foil heads have your own web sites for your favorite brand of sidecars. You should learn to not get your panties in a bunch when someone (in the industry or not) has recommendations other than buying a Ural. You are not coming across as well as you might think.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #18
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I personally don't think that anything said here by Warkshop was over the top and in fact there was some pretty good advice as to potentially hacking the Sportster the OP says he has. You foil heads have your own web sites for your favorite brand of sidecars. You should learn to not get your panties in a bunch when someone (in the industry or not) has recommendations other than buying a Ural. You are not coming across as well as you might think.
I compleatly agree that there are many excellent reasons for hacking a Sportster and many other bikes, that's not the issue. I don't snipe at others folks choices and preferences, all I ask is to recieve the same courtesy.

I an not the only person who has noticed his comments.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #19
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,596
Sad to see someone like warkshop having to use negative selling to push his product.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #20
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Alert to the shameless self promation police,,you are up!

I just have to day this. That Old Sportster of your dad's would make a most excellent sidecar tug. Zero Indiana Jones effect but you could have a fun rig that would be very usable for a lot less money. At the risk of Ural owners wrath everywhere i'd also say a more reliable tug.

No "Indiana Jones effect"?
You weren't trying...
https://shop.rycamotors.com/springer...nd_chrome.html

http://freedomsidecars.com/sidecars/bullet.html

I'm gonna have to go with the foil hat crowd....
Quote:
Since most who responded were singing the glories of the Ural I was merely proposing an alternative. Though you would not know it from many of the folk on this forum not everyone is so impressed with said Urals. Like many things in life Urals have pluses and minuses,,,,it strikes me folk are bit slow sharing the full reality of the negatives.
Not true. There was quite a mix in the earlier responses, with a consensus building that a Ural was NOT the right tool for a highway commute.
What you're selling, Bob, appears to be well built, fairly inexpensive, and mostly lacking in artistic flair. There's a good market for that, but the chip on your shoulder towards both Ural and higher end builds does not serve you.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #21
warkshop
uncbob

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Sad to see someone like warkshop having to use negative selling to push his product.
So pointing out the idea (some might say fact) that one could chose a more reliable mule than a Ural is horribly insensitive, rude and negative selling? Was my comment not accurate or good advice to a potential Noob?

Quote:
There's a good market for that, but the chip on your shoulder towards both Ural and higher end builds does not serve you.
Point well said and understood. I tend to be 'full disclosure' kind of person, i say what i think. Sadly i tend to speak my mind too often without regard to how well it will serve me. I shall always remain a small one man show for this very reason. I believe there are wiser ways to enter the sidecar world than with a Ural and also feel one can get into sidecaring (although it seems there is an 'artistic flair' deficit) for considerably less $ than a high end rig costs. I have a long list of happy customers from over 20 years of doing this. My gripe is the proponents of these other 2 routes seem to give the impression their's is the only way to join this sport. There are other choices. Claude offers goods and services which are worth every penny if one wants to go that route. He has many happy customers to prove that. I am happy for him (he earned his success) and his customers(they made a good choice for themselves).

Is it heresy to disagree and state what to me seems obvious? That there are choices?
Old 02-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #22
jcwvfr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I have a '13' Patrol. I have about a 19 mile drive to work using the expressway.....The ural makes me uncomfortable at highway speeds..... I dont get on the expressway with the ural unless I need to make some time....If you are going to be on the expressway at 'Rush Hour' the ural is not the tool for the job. IMHO.....avoid the dealer in Aroura. I tried several times to get info out of them and was in the show room with a blank check..... and they just didnt seem to want/care that I was there. Dave and Jon on the other side of the state from me have always answered any question I may have had.....Even on a Sunday via e-mail... and got me my Partol in a very reasonable time frame. If you want to take one for a test drive let me know.

Chris
jcwvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #23
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,038
Well said Bob.

Quote:
So pointing out the idea (some might say fact) that one could chose a more reliable mule than a Ural is horribly insensitive, rude and negative selling? Was my comment not accurate or good advice to a potential Noob?

Point well said and understood. I tend to be 'full disclosure' kind of person, i say what i think. Sadly i tend to speak my mind too often without regard to how well it will serve me. I shall always remain a small one man show for this very reason. I believe there are wiser ways to enter the sidecar world than with a Ural and also feel one can get into sidecaring (although it seems there is an 'artistic flair' deficit) for considerably less $ than a high end rig costs. I have a long list of happy customers from over 20 years of doing this. My gripe is the proponents of these other 2 routes seem to give the impression their's is the only way to join this sport. There are other choices. Claude offers goods and services which are worth every penny if one wants to go that route. He has many happy customers to prove that. I am happy for him (he earned his success) and his customers(they made a good choice for themselves).

Is it heresy to disagree and state what to me seems obvious? That there are choices?
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #24
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

The only "wise" way to get into sidecars is in a way that fits each individuals preferences, desires, and budget. For some its a high dollar custom, others its a DIY project, You and some others offer inexpensive installs, and Ural sells complete RTR vehicles, there is no correct or best choice for everyone.
My initial post in this thread was non committal, encouraging further research into the 2014 Urals, with no comments about the other options.

You believe in full disclosure, so I will return the courtesy. I have known the folks at IMWA-Ural for many years and consider them friends, I have ridden with them and done events with them, they occasionally invite me to test ride prototype bikes and rigs, and install prototype parts on my rig for for real world testing as I'm a daily rider.
I have more than casual knowledge about the advances in quality and reliability they have achieved, and know for a fact that the "issues" they have are nowhere near as bad as some folks want or need them to be.
Claiming someone will most likely have issues with a new Ural is as disingenuous as claiming someone will most likely not have issues with installing a hack on a used bike.

Your "gripes" seem to be your own problem, as there are all types of folks here with all types of rigs ranging from no expense spared dream machines, to salvage yard shed builds.......and the overwhelming majority of folks seem to have the ability to share their passion without making snide remarks about others or their rigs.
Were such a small and unique group, there just no call for spreading animosity, especially when you know it will cause trouble.

Like what others have said and I will repeat, if your looking for a freeway flyer a Ural isn't the best choice, but it you want a Ural for what it is, its more than capable of freeway running if you respect its limitations.

I have put 88,000 km on my Ural using it as my primary transportation for going on 7 years.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #25
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
The only "wise" way to get into sidecars is in a way that fits each individuals preferences, desires, and budget. For some its a high dollar custom, others its a DIY project, You and some others offer inexpensive installs, and Ural sells complete RTR vehicles, there is no correct or best choice for everyone.
My initial post in this thread was non committal, encouraging further research into the 2014 Urals, with no comments about the other options.

You believe in full disclosure, so I will return the courtesy. I have known the folks at IMWA-Ural for many years and consider them friends, I have ridden with them and done events with them, they occasionally invite me to test ride prototype bikes and rigs, and install prototype parts on my rig for for real world testing as I'm a daily rider.
I have more than casual knowledge about the advances in quality and reliability they have achieved, and know for a fact that the "issues" they have are nowhere near as bad as some folks want or need them to be.
Claiming someone will most likely have issues with a new Ural is as disingenuous as claiming someone will most likely not have issues with installing a hack on a used bike.

Your "gripes" seem to be your own problem, as there are all types of folks here with all types of rigs ranging from no expense spared dream machines, to salvage yard shed builds.......and the overwhelming majority of folks seem to have the ability to share their passion without making snide remarks about others or their rigs.
Were such a small and unique group, there just no call for spreading animosity, especially when you know it will cause trouble.

Like what others have said and I will repeat, if your looking for a freeway flyer a Ural isn't the best choice, but it you want a Ural for what it is, its more than capable of freeway running if you respect its limitations.

I have put 88,000 km on my Ural using it as my primary transportation for going on 7 years.
Except for your bitching about Warkshop's opinions, this had been one of the better Ural threads as far as realistic expectations goes. You, however, have not added anything to the discussion except that Warkshop causes you to have an extreme case of butt rash.

Warkshop's opinion is highly desirable and respected as an industry insider. He brings in another point of view from a perspective that someone who only owns a sidecar can't. In my opinion all of those in the cottage industry of sidecar fabricators are very welcome to share their opinion not matter if it chaps your hide or gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. I respect all of these guys including Jay, Claude, Bob and others and I hope that people like you who bash their posts doesn't cause them to not share their opinions with us here.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #26
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I respect all of these guys including Jay, Claude, Bob and others and I hope that people like you who bash their posts doesn't cause them to not share their opinions with us here.
Strong Bad, I will second that! Everyone has to remember that there is not a single solution that will fit every application.

I'm slowly working on mounting an XS400 to an older Velorex not what I would even claim to be an adventure rig and I'm sure Interstates will be off limit but I have the 1250 Sportster with Hannigan for that, and an XS650 with a California Companion to ride to work with knobbies for the winter.
kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #27
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,284
Damn I can hardly believe I missed a pissing contest WTF have I been doing ? I wish you foil heads would lighten up on Bob he's been completely reasonable and instructive.Thanks for holding up my end Strong you do it so much better than I do

Commuter rig any old Wing with a hack lots room very reliable and cheap and plentiful.DB
Old 02-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #28
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Damn I can hardly believe I missed a pissing contest WTF have I been doing ? I wish you foil heads would lighten up on Bob he's been completely reasonable and instructive.Thanks for holding up my end Strong you do it so much better than I do

Commuter rig any old Wing with a hack lots room very reliable and cheap and plentiful.DB
Dude...I got you covered! What happened??? You get stuck in the snow?? I must admit I was looking over my shoulder wondering when you would come flying by with some totally inappropriate comment! I think I re-wrote one of those relies at least 3 times to try to tone it down. Takes a lot of control to keep from hitting that "Submit Reply" sometimes!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #29
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,284
Your exactly right, we had a hell of a wet snowstorm Thur night and though almost all roads are open, but the power is iffy and damage to trees and lines a mess.I could have ridden Tue and Wed in the 40's now this.It's hard not to be reactionary especially for me.DB

The famous Mayo Bros
Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #30
Sit
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 638
Hey Thumper,

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents towards your actual post.

I do have limited experience with my Ural, but thought I would share. I got my 13 Patrol last year and it just now has 2000 KM on it. Since buying it, I have made two round trips on it back to the shop I bought it at. This trip is 66 miles each way. My Ural did just fine. Yes it was sketchy on the freeway until I tightened the damper up a bit and then it was just fine; off the freeway I loosen it some. Mine has the power to pull 65 but not much more. Plenty of throttle left, just no power. I think a different airbox would give me more. But the bike is happier at 55. My normal commute is 25 miles one way. I have taken the Ural to work several times and it does fine. Would I do it every single day? Maybe not. It is a fun riding bike, but maybe not the most easy, relaxed riding bike. Most days I take my 1200LT to work, just a nicer ride. Maybe with the addition of a different windscreen, it will be better. In my short time with the Ural have I had any issues? The second trip to the dealer was for a transmission neutral light issue. They got it fixed and all is good. No other issues with the rig. Right now it fires up faster than my LT and once warmed up, just purrs along. I do plan on taking the bike camping and exploring the back roads this summer. I have done some of that already and it does great at that. In the snow, the 2WD does great. So far the bike has meet my expectations and does what I bought it for. So my recommendation to you is to find a dealer that will let you test ride one. Not just in a parking lot, but out on the road where you can get some speed up to see if you like it. That way you can see if the Ural at least fits how you ride. Then you can decide if the Ural fits your bill. Maybe you will find you don't like sidecars at all, who knows. Good luck with which ever direction you go. I am happy with my choice of getting a hack and happy with the Ural.
13 Patrol
Sit is offline   Reply With Quote