Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 04:50 AM   #46
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,511
Yeah crazy weather! Minus 4 here this morning.
Good to hear your out and rolling.
Ride Man, Ride!
AdvRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:00 AM   #47
Firenailer
just passin' thru

Oddometer: 419
I've had strange starts to trips, but I've honestly never heard of one starting by tractor before!

You're out!

BMW R1200RT
__________________________________________________ _______________
Firenailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #48
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Carrying the bike over the snow to the road with a tractor! Now that's determination! Great to see you on your way! Wishing you warm, fun roads to ride in the coming days!
Blader54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #49
mcat1906
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Fellow Western NYer

From one fellow Rochesterian to another I say run! It's actually going to hit 40 here today, which means I'll be riding in my t-shit, shorts and flip-flops.
mcat1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #50
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 239
Go man go!

Don't worry about us...we'd only slow you down...no really, you go on...sigh.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #51
Long Trail
adv dreamer

Oddometer: 51
Sweet, glad to see you made it out. Looking forward to the ride.
Long Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #52
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,287
Well, I'm keeping my promises.
1- The slab part is nothing but boring and shouldn't be counted as anything.
2- My rides are always fluid. I use this trip weather planner:
http://www.wunderground.com/roadtrip/

Just like two years ago when it drove me and my Ural further south to stay out of tornado watchboxes, it is suggesting a more southerly route for tomorrow.
I am in Lonoke AR, just east of Little Rock. If I went straight west I would ride into snow in Oklahoma City. Jesus H. Christ! You just can't get away from this shit this year. (More on that in a minute.) I'm going to divert towards Plano TX, then probably up to Amarillo. Ural is having a factory truck with test rides at BMW of North Dallas. If I get up early enough I can get there for a putt.

On to today's boring slab ride from NE Tennessee.
Started at 39 degrees but quickly got to 62 and sunny. I don't think I've felt that temperature in many months and was loving it. The route through the state was surprisingly nice. Once I got near Memphis the temps started dropping. Suddenly there was snow all over everything but the road. As I crossed the Mississippi into Arkansas it went down to 47 for a bit, but then stayed at 52. Apparently they had an incredible ice and sleet storm last weekend and this is what is left. There were countless signs of cars and trucks going off the road. Many twisted guardrails and tracks in the mud. Once again, I'm damn glad I didn't have to witness that.
Two huge delays in the ride today. One tractor trailer that went over.
The other was nearer Memphis and was the largest oversize load I've ever seen. They had stopped traffic just to get ready. There was a HUGE aluminum cylinder that was going to merge onto I-40. There were too many cops to even think about stopping for a picture. It was at least the width of both lanes and had to be 100 feet long or much more. They had two semis hooked up to pull it. I could not believe my eyes. As I went by it looked the size of a Gemini rocket. It must have been a sight going down the road.
Those two delays slowed me down pretty good. Got to Carlisle, AR at dark, gassed up, looked around, saw a $19.95 motel and a few locals and decided to go to the next town. Got a better place, took a swim, and now am boring you poor bastards with an I-40 "adventure".
Hopefully I get some Ural time in tomorrow and maybe the guys at that shop can guide me onto some better roads for the following few days.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #53
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Impressive! Not only do you have all the right equipment for this, but a little good karma too!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #54
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

One more cold day down, one more to go before I start reaping some rewards.
As I said in the last post, I pretty much had to head south to avoid riding on snow. It worked out pretty well. I rode about 350 miles in the AM to BMW of North Dallas. When I pulled up I immediately recognized David George from Ural HQ out front. What surprised me is he said he knew it was me as soon as he saw my 2 tone beard as I was removing my helmet. He wondered what the hell I was doing on a bike in Dallas. He, I and a bunch of the crew from the dealership shot the shit for about three hours. It was surprising how many bikes we all had in common over our riding lifetimes.
David had me try out one of the new Urals. While nice and improved, I told him that my 2010 Gobi is too close to my heart to ever replace.
I also got to lust after a ton of other beauties in the shop. They just received this:

I am a fan of all bikes and own a 2009 Ulysses. I've always thought that Eric Buell and John Britton were the two top modern day motorcycle designers. It is tragic that we lost Britton years ago. Thankfully the Harley fiasco wasn't enough to keep Eric Buell from going at it again. This bike was pure art to me.
Another couple of bikes that caught my eye were two BMW FS650s with the largest aftermarket gas tanks I'd ever seen. One had a small tent mounted to the rack. They were in the parking lot and when I walked over to them a pretty young lady with a dog said 'ello. I said that she had a nice accent and asked where she was from. She, (Janell), her husband Stu, and their dog Skyla had just flown in from Australia to start their 2 year 'round the world trip. TWO YEARS! Makes most of us look like pikers for sure. Of course I had to ask if she would be posting on ADV. She never heard of it. I told her and encouraged her as much as I could. They do however have a website. It is www.ThePackTrack.com. Certainly worth a look and it should be a good and very long term read. All three of them were very nice. Obviously, I wish them the best. I just wish I had taken out my camera but I was too caught up listening to their plans.

The traveling Ural show:

More bikes out front.

Once again, I could kick myself for not taking a few more pictures inside the shop. They had a beautiful selection of Ducatis, Triumphs, and BMWs.
Damn nice people in there too. I'm glad I made the detour. It saved me snow but the day started at 39 in Little Rock, got up to 43 on the way to the dealer, and got down to 37 and drizzle by the time I reached Wichita Falls TX a few hours ago. Forecast looks about the same for tomorrow, then the heat finally comes to this ride. Just in time to slow down and enjoy the scenery.

madeouttaglass screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 09:28 PM
Old 03-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #55
Spearsall
noobie doobie do

Oddometer: 2
Might try to meet you

Glassman! The guy from Reno here!

Finally loading the last fo the stuff and heading West this week for the last trip out of NY. I'll be in Reno permanently in a week or so. Once there I'll probably grab the FJR or Tenere and take off for a 4-5 day relief. Keep in touch via Meet-up or I think you have my private address. We'll try and catch up.

Safe travels....enjoy the best of the Country! (I'd suggest the Apache Trail East of Phoenix if you make it that way...plus Butler Maps just release Arizona Backroads) Hope to see you some time out west.
Spearsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #56
TarmacSurfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Keep it coming, I'm in for the ride.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #57
u wish u could ride
SHELTON CONNECTICUT.

Oddometer: 130
in.
u wish u could ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #58
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

The second half of today was a great day for temps, scenery, and one of the best, long, twisty roads that I've ever ridden. Time to go soak in a hot tub, get a drink, and post back here in a few hours.
Wichita Falls TX to Taos, NM.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #59
GeneC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I'm in!

Fellow New Yorker here...yes, ready for winter to end! You have real guts to ride in this , best of luck on the road. -gene
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #60
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,485
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote