ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
TennesseeRider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
ID Route Updates

In July, I'll get my first ride in ID. Looking for news and comments on any of the following segments:

Lowman to Yellow Pine via 582, 579, 474
Yellow Pine to Riggins via 340 Elk Summit, 1614
Kooskia to 12 via Glenwood 500/Lolo Motorway, 569
Superior to Wallace via 320, 218, 456
Thompson Falls to Happy's Inn - is 367 (Graves Crk) or 56 (Thompson River) better?
Elk City to Painted Rock St Park via Nez Perce and Magruder
Painted Rock to Challis via 44, 038, 30, 55

Advice on exceptional and especially noteworthy camping spots along any of these routes also welcome.

Alex
TennesseeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #2
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Suggestions?

TR, That's a whole season's riding you've bit off there. And what with the ride report you're gonna owe us for the good advice, you'll be busy all winter too! Don't miss the Elk City Wagon road. On the Magruder and Lolo, leave yourself enough time to ride up to all of the fire lookouts. They are placed to give Ranger Rick a fantastic view of the surrounding mountains. You'll need at least 120miles(no reserve) of fuel but you'll sweat less if you have 150-180 miles of range. July hmmm, find the USGS snowtel site and monitor snow levels. Idarider and other inmates in that area give us a running report on snow conditions as the season approaches. Someone here posted a site that gave snowpack and water density information that is more useful than depth for predicting melt off. Order the Idaho and Montana Benchmark Atlas' and be sure you're getting the latest edition. There is a clearing house for wildfire information in Boise.(National Fire Incident Center or something like that) If we don't get more snow it could be an early fire season and the Magruder is especially prone to fire closures. We look forward to seeing a ride report full of superlatives and tongue tied attempts to describe the scenery. Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
jaredisaac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I'll give this some thought and get you some ideas. That is going to be a great route. How many days are you planning on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaredisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 921
Keep on eye on the 2014 Best of Montana 1000 thread. There just may be a bunch of "Best of Idaho" either on the route or attached to the start or finish covering a lot of your wish list - in July.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:26 AM   #5
TennesseeRider OP
n00b

We will ride 2000 miles or so over two weeks. About 2/3 pavement and 1/3 FS roads. About 50/50 camping and motels. We will start and end in Ketchum, and get as far north as Glacier. We will be on BMWs, a thumper and a gsa. Once I finalize the plans, I'll post GPS routes etc.

Thanks for any input. If anyone is coming to East TN or Western NC and looking to do more than the Dragon, let me know. I'm happy to trade tips and local knowledge.

Alex
Old 02-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #6
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeRider View Post
We will ride 2000 miles or so over two weeks. About 2/3 pavement and 1/3 FS roads. About 50/50 camping and motels. We will start and end in Ketchum, and get as far north as Glacier. We will be on BMWs, a thumper and a gsa. Once I finalize the plans, I'll post GPS routes etc.

Thanks for any input. If anyone is coming to East TN or Western NC and looking to do more than the Dragon, let me know. I'm happy to trade tips and local knowledge.

Alex
What is your specific time schedule? Your description of your routes are very close to tying in with our July 26 ride.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
TennesseeRider OP
n00b

We currently plan to be in ID July 6-20.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #8
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
We currently plan to be in ID July 6-20.
Too early for our ride, but keep an eye out for our route files. Maybe we can use you to pre-run some of our route
Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #9
4r22mny
Old n' Slow

Oddometer: 290
Yellowpine.

Don't depend on Yellowpine for gas. Might be some, might not. You could always call the Yellowpine Hotel/bar and Vicki would tell you what was what but my understanding is that her health is really bad and she isn't even living there now.

4r

05 1200 GS
04 1300 FJR
06 XR650R
4r22mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
TennesseeRider OP
n00b

Darby to Challis Route

Thanks for the replies and PMs. Lots of good stuff.

But I'm still pretty much in the dark on backcountry roads getting me from Darby MT to Challis ID. Any suggestions on best options?

Alex
Old 02-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #11
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and PMs. Lots of good stuff.

But I'm still pretty much in the dark on backcountry roads getting me from Darby MT to Challis ID. Any suggestions on best options?

Alex
Try THIS . A little less than 500 miles.

Edit: whoops, Google Maps bit me. Try this although its missing one little straight stretch:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201385396200181077770.0004f2d862acfa97cd109

Wansfel screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 07:52 AM
Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #12
4r22mny
Old n' Slow

Oddometer: 290
Darby - Challis Route.

Are you overnighting in Darby?? Or is this link at the end of a day or something?

If you are starting your day in Darby, go south on 93 to Montana 473 to Connor then up the West Fork of the Bitteroot to Painted Rocks Dam and Lake.

When the road turns to dirt, turn Southeast toward Horse Creek Pass. (last time I was there it was the 19th of August, we got snowed on).

Over Horse Creek to Shoup, Idaho.

When you get to the river - Main Salmon - turn right (down stream) you'll come to Shoup very shortly.

Keep going downstream (west) until you get to the Panther Creek road. Take it south. (only way there is)

Only one fork, take the right fork, it should say Cobalt. Follow it until you hit hiway 93 again. Turn right, Challis is (I think) 8 miles of pavement later.

Fun roads, mostly dirt. Where are you going from there?? If you are headed toward Stanley, take the scenic loop just out of Challis - it's all dirt thru some really neat country.

4r

05 1200 GS
04 1300 FJR
06 XR650R
4r22mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
"Thompson Falls to Happy's Inn - is 367 (Graves Crk) or 56 (Thompson River) better?"

The river road can be a dry dusty log truck filled road if they are working it in the summer. There are how ever a couple of great camp sites along it. Easy ride as long as no trucks and you can do end to end hwy 200 to 2 in 1 or 2 hours.

Graves creek isn't exactly a direct route. Definitely more off the beaten path. There's a lot of twisting and turning and connections to spurs and such. Easy to get turned around. More scenic...several lakes possible with great camping along the route.
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
TennesseeRider OP
n00b

Thanks!

Wansfel and 4r

I'll dig into my maps and look these over.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 AM   #15
TennesseeRider OP
n00b

Thanks Rob

Graves Creek it is. Wish I had time to get over to your guest ranch. Looks like a fantastic place.