User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #16
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,475
SHOCKING NEWS:
Sidecars can be very additive and it can be terminal. If the bug has bitten it is what it is.

Yes, there will be a learning curve. Yes, one may go through a window of time where they wonder what they have gotten themselves into. Starting off on the right foot with anyone's help who has experience is not a bad thing at all. Some have different views and some are good and some not as far as advice goes but weigh the info yourself and in time you will gain from it.
So, a short test ride isn't a bad thing but It also should not be the deciding factor in purchasing a sidecar outfit. Getting with other sidecar folks is a good thing. Yes, we may all be wacked out a little but in the end a sidecar is a very safe and fun means to spend a day on once you get used to it and begin to realize it is not a motorcycle any longer.
All in all, I think you have been bitten by the sidecar bug and it is time call It what It is and begin your journey into sidecar land. You will be glad you did and I am quite sure everyone here will be glad you did also.
Feel free to give me a call if you wish. No, not going to throw a sales pitch on you at all but maybe can help smooth out some of your present concerns.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/

claude screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 09:02 AM
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #17
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Hello ...you may also want to contact Doug Bingham. If you are not familiar with Doug google the name. Been around sidecars for about forever. Say hello for me.
Side Strider 5838 Arminta St., Unit 25 - Van Nuys, CA 91406-1924
(818) 780-5542
I know who he is and a little about Side Strider. I started riding motorcycles in SoCal and had an interest in sidecars for a long time. I even attended a couple of the early Griffith Park Sidecar Rallies in the mid 70's or so. I have just never followed through other than a near disasterous test ride of a Gold Wing outfit that the poor widow sent me off on with no instruction. It was a very hilly curvy road and like someone posted above, I knew within 1/2 mile that wasn't for me. That was quite a few years ago and I would like to reevaluate the idea.

I appreciate all the feedback I am getting. For everyone suggesting SS I am registered on that forum and have done a fair bit of searching on it. I think the members may be a bit more biased regarding my questions.

Chuck

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #18
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
You are looking to spend a lot of money on a rig and are willing to go 350 miles for a test ride, Why not before you spend the time to do this instead give your self a mini vacation, take the train or fly up to the Seattle area or any where else for that matter where you can take a S/tep (sidecar trike education program) class. While it is still only in a parking lot it is a couple of days of really good training where you will be able to ride several different rigs not just a Ural.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
This is probably good advice if I knew for sure I was headed for a sidecar. Hence the test ride, given just 1 time a year as far as I can tell. And my questions if a short test ride would tell me much and if that experience would be similar in other rigs. A quick check online regarding your suggestion- it would take 4 days and cost me between $1200-1400. Probably money well spent if I knew I was getting a sidecar. But I am not sure that I am "looking to spend a lot of money on a rig" just yet.

I appreciate all the responses. Support among sidecar enthusiasts seems very strong and that is attractive in itself. I got enough feedback to realize I can't just keep reading about other people's experiences and need to take the next step- whatever that might be.

Chuck
Old 02-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #19
hdgypsyman
Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
It is not often that a chance to test drive a sidecar comes along

My first sidecar rig was a CB900 with a Hitchhiker sidecar that I put together myself from information gotten from the internet. It steered fine, rolled down the highway o.k., I rode it some but I never really fell in love with the whole thing. I traded that for a KLR650/Sputnik sidecar rig. I had had a KLR650 before and liked the bike, and I absolutely have fallen in love with my KLR650 sidecar rig.
I guess what I am trying to say is that it has been stated many times that the bike and the sidecar have got to be a good match size and weight wise to work well together. I believe that the bike the sidecar is attached to has to match your particular riding style and fit your needs. I would suggest that you test drive the Ural keeping an open mind that you may or may not like all of the qualities of the Ural bike, but try to evaluate the experience of piloting a sidecar rig separate if you can. You might love piloting a Ural sidecar rig, or you might like piloting a sidecar but not neccesarily like the Ural platform. You might also come away from the whole experience thinking that this crazy third wheel thing is not for you..............
Old 02-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #20
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgypsyman View Post
My first sidecar rig was a CB900 with a Hitchhiker sidecar that I put together myself from information gotten from the internet. It steered fine, rolled down the highway o.k., I rode it some but I never really fell in love with the whole thing. I traded that for a KLR650/Sputnik sidecar rig. I had had a KLR650 before and liked the bike, and I absolutely have fallen in love with my KLR650 sidecar rig.
I guess what I am trying to say is that it has been stated many times that the bike and the sidecar have got to be a good match size and weight wise to work well together. I believe that the bike the sidecar is attached to has to match your particular riding style and fit your needs. I would suggest that you test drive the Ural keeping an open mind that you may or may not like all of the qualities of the Ural bike, but try to evaluate the experience of piloting a sidecar rig separate if you can. You might love piloting a Ural sidecar rig, or you might like piloting a sidecar but not neccesarily like the Ural platform. You might also come away from the whole experience thinking that this crazy third wheel thing is not for you..............
You pretty exactly spelled out what I hope a short test ride will tell me. You are also correct in pointing out test rides don't come along all that often. I am leaning heavily towards doing the test ride even though I am realizing my riding environment is fantastic for my solo bikes, but it will be very challenging on a sidecar. The straight and level sections are few and far between.

I didn't mention an additional motivation behind all this. Its my buddy, Meatloaf. I am fairly certain he will take to a sidecar. His favorite thing in the world is to ride in the back of a truck. He forces his way onto the golf cart my wife uses for feeding against her feeble protests. I can't keep him off pretty much anything I am operating. I have had many dogs over the last 6 decades and he is one of the best. He deserves a sidecar. I hope I like them too.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #21
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,494
Nice Dog

Meatloaf meet Bruce ! Bruce is the Big Krakatoa of all Adv sidecar dogs
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=travels+bruce

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
― Will Rogers
Old 02-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #22
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
This is probably good advice if I knew for sure I was headed for a sidecar. Hence the test ride, given just 1 time a year as far as I can tell. And my questions if a short test ride would tell me much and if that experience would be similar in other rigs. A quick check online regarding your suggestion- it would take 4 days and cost me between $1200-1400. Probably money well spent if I knew I was getting a sidecar. But I am not sure that I am "looking to spend a lot of money on a rig" just yet.

I appreciate all the responses. Support among sidecar enthusiasts seems very strong and that is attractive in itself. I got enough feedback to realize I can't just keep reading about other people's experiences and need to take the next step- whatever that might be.

Chuck
I'm not seeing why it would cost $1200-1400?

http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.o...ecar-training/

And IMO, a short test drive might not be enough to really know if it's for you. It's still a good idea, but it could well be that you still aren't sure you'll like it, and not likely at all that you'll know which rig would best suit you.

I took the S/TEP class from Vernon (RedMenace) in his KLR rigs a year and a half ago. I still don't actually own a rig, but know it won't be a KLR nor a Ural. Niether will do what I need on the freeway. There are plenty of road oriented rigs that won't meet my needs off road. I'm pretty set on either using my GS for a tug, or swapping it for a GSA for fuel range. I'm hoping/planning to have Claude build my rig, but still not clear on my tub design...probably custom.

I suspect there will be no problem getting meatloaf "on board".
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #23
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Here's a little known trick most people are not aware of... Most Ural dealers already have a Demo Bike on hand and if you are interested enough they will definitely let you ride it. Took one out the other day on a 16 mile ride... Just make sure they understand how interested you are and be confident about it. I know you said it's 350 miles away and a week away, you're not coming to Scottsdale are you? If so, they DO have a demo model bike...
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #24
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Meatloaf meet Bruce ! Bruce is the Big Krakatoa of all Adv sidecar dogs
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=travels+bruce

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
― Will Rogers

You probably knew I would have to go look at that thread. Now I have no choice. I will have to do that test ride tomorrow. Meatloaf wants a shot at that "Big Kraka-hooey" title.

Chuck
Old 02-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #25
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Test Ride Was a Good Idea

Since I posed the original question I thought I would post my experience.
It was a very worthwhile experience. I was able to spend a fair amount of time riding the rig. I could have ridden a 2014 but I choose a 2013 Orange Patrol to try. The Roseville dealer had them starting immediately and idling like tractors. They ran perfectly. Had no complaints and everything about them has been accurately described in many threads. However, it is hard to appreciate exactly how that translates into your own experiences until you do experience it. What I discovered is I am not ready for a Ural at this point. Not sure about a sidecar in general now either. I have pretty well eliminated the idea I had of using my BMW Airhead too. I have a BMW 1200 GSA that I will continue to consider using since so many people have been very happy with that as a tug. Probably just keeping reading and asking an occasional question for a while.

Chuck
Old 02-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #26
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,494
The airhead maybe perfect and sidecars are a process or as a Slovak gentlemen I met once as I was bitching about my first one " sidecars you have to hate them till you love them" very thick eastern European accent.
No really the first thought is WTF did I do to a perfectly good motorcycle, I got started with a less expensive rig cause I like taking my dog along.I wish I had kept 83 gl1100/Ural as I had most of the warts off of her.DB

davebig screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 06:27 PM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #27
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
Since I posed the original question I thought I would post my experience.
It was a very worthwhile experience. I was able to spend a fair amount of time riding the rig. I could have ridden a 2014 but I choose a 2013 Orange Patrol to try. The Roseville dealer had them starting immediately and idling like tractors. They ran perfectly. Had no complaints and everything about them has been accurately described in many threads. However, it is hard to appreciate exactly how that translates into your own experiences until you do experience it. What I discovered is I am not ready for a Ural at this point. Not sure about a sidecar in general now either. I have pretty well eliminated the idea I had of using my BMW Airhead too. I have a BMW 1200 GSA that I will continue to consider using since so many people have been very happy with that as a tug. Probably just keeping reading and asking an occasional question for a while.

Chuck
Your take away nearly identical to mine. Really changed it on my priority list.
Glad you made the time for such deep discovery of your inner rider, answered your own question, and saved a shload of dough in the process.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:00 AM   #28
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,801
IMHO I really believe that you have to buy a sidecar rig and ride it for a while before you can decide if it is for you.
That is why I discount using the short test ride as a tool to see if sidecars are for you.
It does not have to be a new whatever.
Buy a used rig at a low price so it won't cost you "a shload of dough in the process". Learn to ride it using the exercises in the manuals. Get several months experience at low speeds and then decide.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #29
warkshop
uncbob

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
IMHO I really believe that you have to buy a sidecar rig and ride it for a while before you can decide if it is for you.
That is why I discount using the short test ride as a tool to see if sidecars are for you.
It does not have to be a new whatever.
Buy a used rig at a low price so it won't cost you "a shload of dough in the process". Learn to ride it using the exercises in the manuals. Get several months experience at low speeds and then decide.
"IMHO",,,What, you humble!? Even though we seem doomed to not get along i am in complete agreement with your post.

I would add that if said potential Noob had a properly matched and set up rig i'd be astonished if they did not stay with sidecaring. Sadly many home brewed rigs (on the low priced side) are lacking in many areas (equals hard steering/bad handling) and can give one a false impression of this hobby,,,and turn them away. A good handling rig can mean this turns into an obsession! This is where i shamelessly 'shill' my services. I can often 'heal' poorly rigged/aligned outfits and am happy to do so.

I also note this fellow has an old BMW Airhead,,,,but does not want to 'hack' it. I have found they can make fine mules,,,,,and it is already in the garage. Just me being 'practical'.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #30
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
It took me ~2,000 miles before I was comfortable piloting my Sportster rig. Another 2,000 miles and I was a dedicated sidecar enthusiast. I'm now so accustomed to the push/pull of "yaw" that I rarely notice it - but to a first time hack pilot it can be downright spooky. And I've piloted some expensive rigs that were not properly aligned/suspended that drove like wallowing pigs, and some "basic" rigs that were downright fun.

By the way, one of the very best rigs I've ever had the pleasure to drive belonged to my departed friend Bud Amy down in south Louisiana: A BMW R90 airhead with Ural sidecar and modified steering - best described as a "gentleman's rig" and very "refined" on the highway. Here's Bud piloting his white rig back in 2008:

Bud's rig was never far from the coffee pot:
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote