Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #16
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,049
Good stuff right there. A great complement to the Ryan Young vids I have. Love the humor , too. That's awesome!
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Very nice videos. Lots of right verbal and slow-mo detail for how to do the techniques well.

Love the down undah accent too, like 'guy-ro-scopic' effect
i was thinking of doing the fake yank accent i tried in my DR650 vs KTM video but apparently i sounded like a drunk texan!

kind of went overboard on the humour (or humor in your hemisphere) in that video too....
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

just posted the latest vid...

i'm really having trouble with the double blip, i keep chickening out of landing the front wheel into logs to get the suspension compressed and get some decent lift.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #19
Purch23
Dirtbiker

Oddometer: 171
Wow, great videos! I'm fixin to learn me some double blips quite soon. Still working on the basics though.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #20
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,508
I'm thinking this thread would make a good sticky.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #21
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
I'm thinking this thread would make a good sticky.
Ditto!

Great stuff.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #22
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

if the mods want to make it a sticky i've revised the first post to include all the video links in the appropriate sections. puts the pressure on though in terms of making sure the techniques are described correctly...

B1 screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 02:47 PM
Old 03-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #23
Titanium250
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Great vids for noobs like my wife and I, thx for taking the time to put them up!

I have been mainly on-road for past 30 yrs and only recently went back to grass roots off-road like when I was a kid.

My wife also wanted a bike licence after all these years so I said the "best" and fastest way to learn balance, clutch, brake, throttle control, is ride a trials bike.

So I purchased a Trials bike for her about 6 weeks ago and she has become obsessed! Hehehehehe She practices static balance every night as I do now! Last night she set a PB of 2 min 10 secs on her favourite side!! Its like winning a prize or something! Hehehehe

I find I'm practicing static balancing or riding it in yard every day as well (fig 8's)!

WE are having a ball!! We purchased a new Beta 250 Evo 4T and may end up with two.

As we progress we may have a go at novice but at this stage it seems a bit daunting still and we are quite content to watch, for now! Baby steps!

More fig 8's needed and when done, do MORE!!!! Hehehehe

Love the WDTC site, great looking webpage for a trials club!!

Mags (Anthony)
Riding since 1970... never NOT had a bike in garage since then...Current bikes- '82 Ducati 900 MHR (purchased new,30k miles), '71 Ducati 450 Single (Restoring), 2011 Suzuki TU 250, 2014 Beta 250 Trials 4T, 2013 WR250R, 2012 Victory Jackpot.
Titanium250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #24
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 640
Thanks!

OP- You sir, are a public servant! You should get some sort of medal for posting these vids!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #25
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium250 View Post
Great vids for noobs like my wife and I, thx for taking the time to put them up!

I have been mainly on-road for past 30 yrs and only recently went back to grass roots off-road like when I was a kid.

My wife also wanted a bike licence after all these years so I said the "best" and fastest way to learn balance, clutch, brake, throttle control, is ride a trials bike.

So I purchased a Trials bike for her about 6 weeks ago and she has become obsessed! Hehehehehe She practices static balance every night as I do now! Last night she set a PB of 2 min 10 secs on her favourite side!! Its like winning a prize or something! Hehehehe

I find I'm practicing static balancing or riding it in yard every day as well (fig 8's)!

WE are having a ball!! We purchased a new Beta 250 Evo 4T and may end up with two.

As we progress we may have a go at novice but at this stage it seems a bit daunting still and we are quite content to watch, for now! Baby steps!

More fig 8's needed and when done, do MORE!!!! Hehehehe

Love the WDTC site, great looking webpage for a trials club!!

Mags (Anthony)
My wife is getting there as well, she just last Sunday set her PB of 4 min and 50 seconds... and would have had longer if a bug hadn't flown into her face... Guess she will have to work on distraction next...

She is also getting better at turns and wheelies... :)

Keep it up, and soon you will be doing novice. My wife is almost there.
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #26
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
if the mods want to make it a sticky i've revised the first post to include all the video links in the appropriate sections. puts the pressure on though in terms of making sure the techniques are described correctly...
You have done a great job. But no Zap (Jap Zap) is landed on an obstacle. In fact the zap should be driven into the obstacle even lower than the double blip. The zap was designed to get up larger undercuts than the double blip.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #27
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

More info for the masses. http://www.youtube.com/user/trialstrainingcenter
Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #28
Purch23
Dirtbiker

Oddometer: 171
Wouldn't the larger the undercut mean the higher the tire must be placed on the obstacle? If the undercut is larger then there would be no low spot to hit. Or do I have it backwards?

http://trialstrainingcenter.com/how-...s/double-blip/

"The zap involves a wheelie to bring the front wheel down onto the top of the obstacle rather than into it, so as to achieve greater lift from the rear."

This is my favorite zap video.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #29
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,637
Agree with Lineaway on the Jap Zap explanation. Well, at least that's the way Ryan Young teaches it.

That's the way you'll learn it in April Purch23.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #30
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Purch23;23615457]Wouldn't the larger the undercut mean the higher the tire must be placed on the obstacle? If the undercut is larger then there would be no low spot to hit. Or do I have it backwards?

The rider is talented, but that is basically a double blip with clutch. The jap zap came along in the eighties, the bikes did not have near as good as suspension as we have now. You drove lower than you thought possible to load the suspension and used the clutch to control the moment. We then went to splatters to get up the under cuts that were impossible to do with either of these techniques. The proper zap is scary to learn as is the splat. The double blip is mild in comparison and that is why you see it more often. The lower you hit the front tire into an obstacle the higher you also can carry the front over and through said obstacle.