ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
TDS OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question Best KTM Service in the Seattle area?

This might be the wrong spot, but I'm trying to find the best KTM Service spot in the Seattle area. Motoplex is out automatically. I've tried to buy two different bikes from them over the years and they tried to play used car salesman games both times. Now I'm trying to get my KTM 990 Adventure serviced for the first time and they told me it was a "very extensive" maintenance and would cost $600.00 PLUS parts and tax... Holy crap! Two months ago they quoted me closer to 280. Needless to say, I have an appointment with another dealer that quoted me a high end 300 bones out the door price. I won't step foot in Motoplex ever again. So where else would you recommend?

Thanks,
TDS
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Bring it to my house in Pendleton, but you can't be scared of getting dirty. I like most any fancy beer, but have a penchant for hoegaarden. I'm sure there are other inmates in your local area that will also help YOU service your bike, but it is very difficult to find a competent dealership mechanic to work on our bikes. You will find that most guys who ride an LC8 are also very schooled on maintenance on them.
Surf around this link a little. http://www.ktm950.info/ All the dealer does on the first service is change the oil anyway...you don't even have to check the valves on the 990 until 9000 miles.

tacosupreme screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 07:04 PM
tacosupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Imachimper
Newer than Noob

Oddometer: 129
Take a look at what the service is, and then get out your manual or purchase the service cd. There isn't anything that is done on the first service that the average knuckle dragger can't do at home. The added benefit of this is that you will be way more familiar with your bike, so when you have to take a look under the tank it won't be so scary.
Imachimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
zoomdude57
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Northwest European Motorcycles in Tacoma. Small but motivated. Hinshaws has always treated me right as well. Or the DIY route as others suggest.
2011 KTM RC8R
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
zoomdude57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
My brother paid for two different shops in Seattle to adjust his valves. Cost over $400 each time.

Then he brought it to me to do it. I was the first one to touch it. No evidence that anyone had even pulled off the air box lid.

Scum Bags.

Find an independent mechanic. I'm one in Corvallis.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
el' hefe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I was hoping that this thread would provide some good news on a local KTM mechanic, as these threads pop up every now and then. Every time the conversation comes to the same conclusion, which is to self perform the work.

Benefits to being a DIY mechanic is that you will learn a lot about your bike, and this is key if you plan to ride in remote areas. There is a huge amount of info in the Halls of Wisdom (link referenced in earlier posting), and in Orange Crush should you choose to self perform your maintenance, repairs, and modifications. Between these two resources, you should be able to accomplish just about any task on a LC8.

But I get it, sometimes time is the limiting factor, and you just want/need someone (who you trust) to handle it. It would be great to have a knowledgeable and trustworthy KTM tech in the Seattle vicinity.
el' hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
My brother paid for two different shops in Seattle to adjust his valves. Cost over $400 each time.

Then he brought it to me to do it. I was the first one to touch it. No evidence that anyone had even pulled off the air box lid.

Scum Bags.

Find an independent mechanic. I'm one in Corvallis.
I see that happen all the time. Or they do take it apart and fk something else up.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
It is pretty easy to do basic maintenance on your bike if you have very little skills. If you do not and you open the engine and mess up one little thing it could end up costing you 4k plus for a new motor. (I know someone who bought one)

I think its worth the time to learn how to do your own valves and water pump.

If I had other people work on my bike it would probably be hinshaws only because I haven't heard anyone complain about their work.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,242
I spent a lotta time (years, actually...) and a fair amount of money trying to sort out my '03/'04 950ADV; there was a factory-trained mechanic in my area, but he was mostly a Harley guy and had never actually worked on an LC8.

When I moved to the Seattle area, I bit the bullet and trailered it to this guy in Bellingham. An acknowledged expert, he set it right & took care of other known issues not on my list. Runs great and the coolant stays where it's supposed to! I'm confident it's sorted.....something I could never acknowledge with my previous guy.

Downside is the location and the fact I was without the bike longer than anticipated (he does the work on the side). Still, worth it in the long run.

Recommended. Highly.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,919
I had an excellent experience with I90 Motorsports. Great people, work done well, done right, and done fast. Pretty good riding gear selection too.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
Granparacer
Old but not dead

Oddometer: 231
Skagit Powersports in Burlington. Have Sean or Pete work on it. Very professional crew. They're also life long riders.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
NWMotohead
Motojunkie

Oddometer: 24
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by granparacer View Post
skagit powersports in burlington. Have sean or pete work on it. Very professional crew. They're also life long riders.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #13
slashbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Alyxmoto. Give him a call, 503-270-7088. Alex is a damn fine guy, works on KTM's and is a BMW master tech. His service work and attention to detail is second to none. He is German, after all.
slashbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
I had an excellent experience with I90 Motorsports. Great people, work done well, done right, and done fast. Pretty good riding gear selection too.

1911fan
+1 On I90

I have only had Warranty work done here for a few minor things (recalls) but they seam to be the only ones who have their shit together. They also have a Dyno and

as mentioned above The KTM maintenance is pretty basic I will not pay for someone to work on any of my bike plus im too paranoid about what was done....

I still re-check everything that someone has touched on my bikes even a tire but I dont like to leave a what if factor on something with 2 wheels

spencergt66 screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 08:55 AM
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #15
onewoodsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I know your in Seattle but cliffs cycle in Bremerton did some warranty work on my adventure and did a great job. You can take the ferry and then ride home. :)
onewoodsrider is online now   Reply With Quote