Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Kawasaki Versys - 19" wire wheels added - Juice Box - Mods Review!

A few pics of my 2011 VS. I just picked up last month, 01/2014, from a dealer Macon, GA. Drove 5 hours to purchase. Still in the crate, zero miles, only 270 miles now. Watched it assembled and fluids added. Really good price. Ok, comments on my mods.

1) Yoshimura Carbon Exhaust
Perfect sound with the DB insert, way too load otherwise. By the way, this is not a ‘slip on’ meaning for many other bikes the catalytic is retained when adding new exhaust, not with the VS. You will need to add more fuel in all RPM ranges with a Juice Box or Power Commander. Also, and is not in the instructions, if you use the DB, you need to remove the bolt hole ‘tang’ before inserting the DB plug.

2) Two Bro’s Juice Box
You will learn much about your bike installing this mod. Watch YouTube videos. You will make mistakes if you do not.

3) A/C Adapter
Great for powering GPS or Cell.

4) Nelson-Rigg Touring Saddle Bags
Tried Givi’s and just ridiculous to position correctly. Returned same day. The Nelson’s fit perfect and for half the $.

5) Kawasaki Tail Bag
Looks cool and holds a 6 pack.

6) Fork Sliders
Like the look.

7) Frame Sliders
Like the look. Watching them closely though as become the new motor mount bolts.

8) Rear Axle Spools
A must for working on the bike. So much easier with a front and rear lift.

9) Yoshimura Bar Ends
Light weight and still no ‘buzz’.

10) Vario Touring Screen
Worth every penney. Only wind is at top of shoulders/face. I am 6”.

11) Galfer Stainless Brake Lines
Not sure I can recommend these over stock lines. Installed all three and a few weeks later, all were sweating, the front right actually dripping. I re-torqued but the right front is still an issue. Look great though.

12) Yoshimura Fender Eliminator
A much cleaner look.

13) Super Sprox 44t
Except for the rims, this is my favorite mod. The bike is so much easier to ride, minimizes the off/on abrupt throttle response, first gear is actually useable, and only 4k RPM at 55-60. Cannot recommend more.

14) Puig Carbon Hugger
Keeps the electrics and shock so much cleaner after a ride.

15) Carbon Front Fender Extender
Keeps headers and engine cleaner and protects radiator.

16) Sig Sauer 9mm P938 under Seat
Will sleep better when camping.

17) Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires
Love them.

18) Woody’s (RADS) Aluminum Hubs
Needed for #19.

19) Excel 17” Rear | 19” Front
Completely changes the look and demeanor of the bike. Personally, this is how Kawasaki should offer the bike stock. However, the riding style is altered. The ‘turn in’ is at first somewhat slower but for me, is perfect. Before, I found I was always sliding on the seat towards the tank and now the bike feels so much taller even though is only an inch higher from the ground. Of course is not a true dual sport bike but handles superbly on fire roads and to remote camp spots along the river.

However, not an expensive mod at $1800 without tires. I was only into the bike for $4699 new, so penciled out for me.

20) Front Fender Riser (Homemade- Polished Aluminum Stock)

bmacneil2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
cb4017
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Very nice!
I was a Vietnam Veteran before it was popular.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
cb4017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:38 AM   #3
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,442
Nice job . . . Similar to what I had done. Check your front fender clearance. The V has 5.9" travel (1/2" sag). Therefore, you really should have 5" of clearance between the bottom of the triple tree and the top of the fender. My guess is you have 4" or less.

Two options: lower your fender to the minimum tire clearance. Or, go to a high fender. You can use SS hose clamps to attach it . . . Or, make a bracket.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 02:07 PM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,502
Very nicely done. Now just a little suspension work.............
Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Yes, I have on my to do list is to fab 1.5" lower fender brackets. Know if leave as is the lower fork brace will hit the fender on a decent bump. Is an easy remedy fortunately. That will give me at least 5" travel.

I will most likely add a 1" taller rear shock, Penske makes one and also HyperPro but is a $600 investment. Galfer brake lines driving me nuts.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,442
I used Galfer SS dual brake lines. I had both the rear & front stock shock/forks on the softest settings . . .

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
BrittC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Really nice looking. Need more pics though!
http://britt-motorcycling.blogspot.com
BrittC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,626
Thumb I like this...

nice job, both of you.

is there a thread somewhere that does the 'rundown' on wheel options now available for Versys, spoked or otherwise, 19", 21"? 18?
RAD? Woody? other?

you mentioned Excel rims: did you buy the hubs and the rims, then had a local shop setup?

Zapp22 screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 07:37 AM
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacneil2008 View Post

I will most likely add a 1" taller rear shock, Penske makes one and also HyperPro but is a $600 investment. Galfer brake lines driving me nuts.
if you mean to add 25mm to the overall length of the shock, i'll suggest that it won't work. if you're just trying to raise the rear of the bike 25mm, then that's something different.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
nice job, both of you.

is there a thread somewhere that does the 'rundown' on wheel options now available for Versys, spoked or otherwise, 19", 21"? 18?
RAD? Woody? other?

you mentioned Excel rims: did you buy the hubs and the rims, then had a local shop setup?
Hear you. I spent some time in the forums with the same question. Only 2 options I found, Woody's or modifying a V-Strom front assembly.

I like the wire wheel look and performance, so went with the Woody's package, matching both rear and front.

Woody's
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/KawaVersys.html

V-Strom
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17646
Old 02-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
if you mean to add 25mm to the overall length of the shock, i'll suggest that it won't work. if you're just trying to raise the rear of the bike 25mm, then that's something different.
Hmmm, curious of your comment to the opposite of rising the rear shock to match the front wheel dimension increase of 1 inch. The geometry would be stock as compared to leaving the rear shock stock. Again, there are 2-3 manufacturers that make adjustable eye length shocks for the V and a few manu's that will build the shock to with a 1" extension. If you are suggesting 'padding' in the seat to compensate, we are not the same conversation.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,884
Quote:
Hmmm, curious of your comment to the opposite of rising the rear shock to match the front wheel dimension increase of 1 inch...
your proposed 25mm increase in shock length does not equate to a change of 25mm increase in height on the front end, regardless of source, be it wheel size, suspension, whatever. your assumption is that the relationship between wheel travel and shock length is 1:1 in this direct coupled configuration, but it obviously isn't due to the shock mount/swingarm geometry.

you could disconnect your shock at the low pivot, eyeball 25mm, then draw your own conclusions.

not everyone replaces the OEM Versys shock when swapping in a 19" front wheel, and the bike still goes down the road just fine. i would mark it down as a preference, rather than a requirement. your bike, your choice.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:34 AM   #13
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
your proposed 25mm increase in shock length does not equate to a change of 25mm increase in height on the front end, regardless of source, be it wheel size, suspension, whatever. your assumption is that the relationship between wheel travel and shock length is 1:1 in this direct coupled configuration, but it obviously isn't due to the shock mount/swingarm geometry.

you could disconnect your shock at the low pivot, eyeball 25mm, then draw your own conclusions.

not everyone replaces the OEM Versys shock when swapping in a 19" front wheel, and the bike still goes down the road just fine. i would mark it down as a preference, rather than a requirement. your bike, your choice.
Yes totally agree on both points. Is not a 1:1 ratio, probably more like 1 to 0.65 ratio. I was stressing that I needed the shock asap but just do not have the $ now and thought the bike would handle poorly. Just the opposite, I actually like the stance as is and most likely will not add an extended shock. Before the wheel swap, I was always sliding towards the gas tank, that is not longer an issue.I will say the steering is a bit 'slower' is how best I can describe it. Not saying is negative, you just need to adjust but within a few rides you don't even notice it. You will notice the bike is taller, and can tell the center of weight is up. Amazing what just an inch can do.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,626
thank you!
i saw the hubs on RAD website. I would guess that any good wheel builder could do them, given the RAD parts. I'm thinking of a v-strom type setup 19 & 17.
didn't I see someone somewhere that has gone 21/18 ?

that kawasakiversys.com thread is annoying.... can't someone spell out the conversions ... lol.
i have to be a mindreader.
So, for the DL1000 wheel - does the DL hub need to be modified, machined, etc to get a fit? is there a thread or 'tube somewhere explaining that?
I DO like the spoke way better ... its really distinctive with that.

Quote:
Hear you. I spent some time in the forums with the same question. Only 2 options I found, Woody's or modifying a V-Strom front assembly.

I like the wire wheel look and performance, so went with the Woody's package, matching both rear and front.

Woody's
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/KawaVersys.html

V-Strom
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17646

Zapp22 screwed with this post 03-01-2014 at 08:19 AM
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #15
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
What is the width of the front wheel you picked? And what tire are you running on the bike now?

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote