ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #16
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post

So, for the DL1000 wheel - does the DL hub need to be modified, machined, etc to get a fit?
no changes to the DL1000 wheel, bearings, or seals. just fiddle with the wheel spacers, it's as easy as it gets. you do need 300mm rotors, easy to find used, turn DL rotors, or new knockoffs.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
thank you!
i saw the hubs on RAD website. I would guess that any good wheel builder could do them, given the RAD parts. I'm thinking of a v-strom type setup 19 & 17.
didn't I see someone somewhere that has gone 21/18 ?

that kawasakiversys.com thread is annoying.... can't someone spell out the conversions ... lol.
i have to be a mindreader.
So, for the DL1000 wheel - does the DL hub need to be modified, machined, etc to get a fit? is there a thread or 'tube somewhere explaining that?
I DO like the spoke way better ... its really distinctive with that.
The Vstrom option is much less expensive and you can probably find used wheels on eBay. I think all you need to machine is a few mm off the brake rotors. If you search the Versys forum, there are many threads and detailed comments/pics on how to do.
bmacneil2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #18
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
vstrom wheels arent cheap - the fronts are now pretty hard to find.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #19
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
vstrom wheels arent cheap - the fronts are now pretty hard to find.
no kidding.
for other reasons, I had a persistent search in on ebay motors for a dl650 front wheel for 2 years and never saw a single one.
and yes, they ain't cheap.
if you bought two, you're at 800 bucks or so, which puts a diff light on the spokies.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #20
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
What is the width of the front wheel you picked? And what tire are you running on the bike now?
I went with 110/80-19, 150/70-17 Shinko 705's. It may prove I should have gone with a higher quality tire due to some of the reviews I have read, but so far they have been great. http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-705-motorcycle-tire

I also considered the Metzler Tourance http://www.bikebandit.com/metzeler-t...otorcycle-tire

However, I really liked the Pirelli Dual Sport, but could not find the size I wanted.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...port-rear-tire
Old 03-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #21
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacneil2008 View Post
I went with 110/80-19, 150/70-17 Shinko 705's. It may prove I should have gone with a higher quality tire due to some of the reviews I have read, but so far they have been great. http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-705-motorcycle-tire

I also considered the Metzler Tourance http://www.bikebandit.com/metzeler-t...otorcycle-tire

However, I really liked the Pirelli Dual Sport, but could not find the size I wanted.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...port-rear-tire

2.5 front wheel and 4.5 rear?

2012 Versys 1000
Old 03-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #22
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
no kidding.
for other reasons, I had a persistent search in on ebay motors for a dl650 front wheel for 2 years and never saw a single one.
if you bought two, you're at 800 bucks or so, which puts a diff light on the spokies.
And then add rotors getting machined, assuming you can find a shop that will do it, then you are 2/3 of the way to Woody's setup.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #23
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
2.5 front wheel and 4.5 rear?
3.5 in front and stock rear tire dimensions. You can look at different conversion charts as you shop for tires. Was a task. 2.5 is too thin, that is motocross size. You can convert my Shinkos here and other tire considerations. Woody's wanted to go to narrow for me in front.

http://www.cb450stuff.com/tires/
Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #24
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
3.5 in front and stock rear tire dimensions. You can look at different conversion charts as you shop for tires. Was a task. 2.5 is too thin, that is motocross size. You can convert my Shinkos here and other tire considerations. Woody's wanted to go to narrow for me in front.

http://www.cb450stuff.com/tires/
Well more narrow adds better off road behaviour and worsens on road capabilities. If you hang onto your OE wheels and tires, why no go for a narrower setup with the dirt wheels.

This is what I intend on doing.

2012 Versys 1000
Old 03-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #25
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Well more narrow adds better off road behaviour and worsens on road capabilities. If you hang onto your OE wheels and tires, why no go for a narrower setup with the dirt wheels.

This is what I intend on doing.
True, so I kinda split the hair. The V is not an offroad bike, smooth fire trails and campgrounds ok, but you start with only 6" of front wheel travel, add a 19" wheel and raise the fender, you just do not have the suspension for 'crazy', but I see pics of people way off the grid, so I guess is whatever each person is comfortable with. Also, I don't want to be changing wheels based on my 'trip of the day', but is not a bad idea to have a set for full moto.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #26
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,193
Quote:
And then add rotors getting machined, assuming you can find a shop that will do it, then you are 2/3 of the way to Woody's setup.
the need to machine rotors only comes into play if you happen to get OEM 310mm rotors with your DL wheel purchase, otherwise you would purchase 300mm rotors which bolt right up, matching the 300mm Versys rotor diameter.

if machining is required on 310mm rotors, it's inexpensive.

in reality, the only machine work that is required to fit the DL1000 wheel to a stock Versys is to cut down a pair of OEM wheel spacers, maybe $25, free if your buddy has a lathe or mill.

matching 3 spoke rear wheels are available and inexpensive, another easy swap.

the built spokes on RAD hubs are great looking wheels and i'm sure they'll perform well. my two sets of 3 spoke cast wheels in 17/19 have never cost more than $400/set, nowhere near 2/3 the cost of custom spokes.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #27
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the need to machine rotors only comes into play if you happen to get OEM 310mm rotors with your DL wheel purchase, otherwise you would purchase 300mm rotors which bolt right up, matching the 300mm Versys rotor diameter.

in reality, the only machine work that is required to fit the DL1000 wheel to a stock Versys is to cut down a pair of OEM wheel spacers, maybe $25, free if your buddy has a lathe or mill.

matching 3 spoke rear wheels are available and inexpensive, another easy swap.

the built spokes on RAD hubs are great looking wheels and i'm sure they'll perform well. my two sets of 3 spoke cast wheels in 17/19 have never cost more than $400/set, nowhere near 2/3 the cost of custom spokes.
Sounds good but apparently many are not finding the wheels at the price you have been fortunate to purchase.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #28
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,682
I dunno about this.
first, I've never yet ridden a versys so I'm going from reading too much - but the consensus is, backward to v-strom, klr, others, the Versys is sprung "rock hard" bone stock. so it ain't a marshmallow. too much of that can be bad, but generally I'd rather deal with softening a bit.
Then, I spent money raising and stripping my 04 weestrom, and though I'm a little tall @ 6'2", i found that the tradeoffs were not that great. the few times the extra 1.8" clearance helped me were traded against a really high COG [it was really wicked with the wife on the back] and the footing in loose rocks with uncertain stability. wee does not break easy so I never had a problem bouncing off rocks etc on the bashplate... its a sled.
after a summer of 'tall and nekkid" I returned to stock, howbeit with the front as high as it could go.

Quote:
True, so I kinda split the hair. The V is not an offroad bike, smooth fire trails and campgrounds ok, but you start with only 6" of front wheel travel, add a 19" wheel and raise the fender, you just do not have the suspension for 'crazy', but I see pics of people way off the grid, so I guess is whatever each person is comfortable with. Also, I don't want to be changing wheels based on my 'trip of the day', but is not a bad idea to have a set for full moto.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #29
bmacneil2008 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
I dunno about this.
first, I've never yet ridden a versys so I'm going from reading too much - but the consensus is, backward to v-strom, klr, others, the Versys is sprung "rock hard" bone stock. so it ain't a marshmallow. too much of that can be bad, but generally I'd rather deal with softening a bit.
Then, I spent money raising and stripping my 04 weestrom, and though I'm a little tall @ 6'2", i found that the tradeoffs were not that great. the few times the extra 1.8" clearance helped me were traded against a really high COG [it was really wicked with the wife on the back] and the footing in loose rocks with uncertain stability. wee does not break easy so I never had a problem bouncing off rocks etc on the bashplate... its a sled.
after a summer of 'tall and nekkid" I returned to stock, howbeit with the front as high as it could go.
Yes, the V is sprung hard. However, I have had 15 bikes over the years but all were motocross, this is my 1st street bike except for the 76 KZ400 I found in a barn. I'm 55, 6' and weigh 160, but actually like the solid feel of the suspension although I may tire of it in time, also all my off road bikes were sprung hard as well so I probably don't know the difference. As for COG, yep, felt that right away but really don't notice it now. Ultimately, I would like an A/V bike the KTM 900 or Triumph XC and maybe a bike more street oriented, Aprilia Shiver or used Ducati Monster.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #30
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
no kidding.
Sometimes you get lucky

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-Suzuki-V-...vip=true&rt=nc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post

Wich bikes can I get 300mm rotors that will fit the vstrom wheel?

2012 Versys 1000