ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Oddometer: 302
Is There a Motivation Spyder Sidecar near Memphis, Tn?

thinking about one and wanted to see one in person. anyone else can chime in with opinions. was going to put it on a DL650.

thanks,ked
__________________
If a man speaks in the woods, and a woman is not there to hear it, is he still wrong?
ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
warkshop
uncbob
 
warkshop's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA
Oddometer: 548
I don't enjoying being a wet blanket,,,but. My first sidecar many,mnay years ago was a Spyder. They are beautiful, have large, externally accessable trunk and Motorvation are honorable folks to deal with, sadly i can't say that about everybody in this business.
The downside is they are a royal pain in the butt to get in and out of,,think kayak! My dear wife who is definitely not one to complain (she lives with me!) always commented how troublesome it was getting in and out.
Plus if you are going to rig it yourself the unibody nature of this hack means you can't remove the body for the install,,,not a desirable feature!
This also means removal and replacement for service or whatever is complicated. You can get chrome struts though! Priorities?
__________________
"The business of life is far too important to take seriously" Oscar Wilde
http://www.warkshop.com
warkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign
 
Hookalatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by warkshop View Post
I don't enjoying being a wet blanket,,,but. My first sidecar many,mnay years ago was a Spyder. They are beautiful, have large, externally accessable trunk and Motorvation are honorable folks to deal with, sadly i can't say that about everybody in this business.
The downside is they are a royal pain in the butt to get in and out of,,think kayak! My dear wife who is definitely not one to complain (she lives with me!) always commented how troublesome it was getting in and out.
Plus if you are going to rig it yourself the unibody nature of this hack means you can't remove the body for the install,,,not a desirable feature!
This also means removal and replacement for service or whatever is complicated. You can get chrome struts though! Priorities?
Wet blanket or no, it is nice to get this kind of perspective. I know nothing about sidecars and was looking a Spyder as well http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums...osts=1&start=1. I was attracted to its lines and looks but didn't even consider the points you made. I did wonder how I would ever get my dog in one.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
davebig
Another Angry Hun !
 
davebig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,342
I've always wanted a Spyder on an airhead as they are the prettiest of the little chairs that have a real old time look but they are small and Bob's accurate.A dogs not getting in without the owner picking him up and placing him there.
If I where you Ked I'd be mounting the formula 2 on the the DL and sending the honda down the road.DB
__________________
Patience: A minor form of despair disguised as a virture.
Ambrose Bierce
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Oddometer: 302
i have had the same concern about the Spyder. great looks, but small cockpit and opening. it does seems that it would be a good matchup for the DL, though.

i would prefer a Ural/CSM/DMC type chair.i just like the looks of the DS type chairs.

i may look into the Formula for the DL.

ked
__________________
If a man speaks in the woods, and a woman is not there to hear it, is he still wrong?
ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
warkshop
uncbob
 
warkshop's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA
Oddometer: 548
You might consider something which would seem unworthy to many here,,,silly elitists! The lowly Velorex.
Just how big is this dog anyway? Since you have chosen a mule that, though a wonderful bike, does not have a complete cradle frame it would require a either a custom 'in shop' install or a custom, mail order mounting kit, something i don't have for that bike. Silly of me to say this but choosing bikes for mules that are actually sidecar friendly could be considered a wise choice. Certainly more cost effective.
In my less than humble opinion a Formula would be a bit lardy to drag around with a DL650. The cart would be leading the horse(mule).
I'll shut up now,,,the customer is always right,,,,,right??
__________________
"The business of life is far too important to take seriously" Oscar Wilde
http://www.warkshop.com
warkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by warkshop View Post
You might consider something which would seem unworthy to many here,,,silly elitists! The lowly Velorex.
Just how big is this dog anyway? Since you have chosen a mule that, though a wonderful bike, does not have a complete cradle frame it would require a either a custom 'in shop' install or a custom, mail order mounting kit, something i don't have for that bike. Silly of me to say this but choosing bikes for mules that are actually sidecar friendly could be considered a wise choice. Certainly more cost effective.
In my less than humble opinion a Formula would be a bit lardy to drag around with a DL650. The cart would be leading the horse(mule).
I'll shut up now,,,the customer is always right,,,,,right??
THIS customer isn't always right. usually, but not always!

there is NO dog! it is for my kids, and i enjoy 3 wheels. i like the dl650 and the Spyder being smaller, i thought it would be a nice street combo. still, i am concerned about the smaller cockpit opening. my daughter would easily fit, but my son is taller than me, but more flexible.

thanks, ked
__________________
If a man speaks in the woods, and a woman is not there to hear it, is he still wrong?
ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:57 AM   #8
warkshop
uncbob
 
warkshop's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA
Oddometer: 548
I am 6'1", 200 pounds and I fit in a 562 Velorex. Much easier in and out than a Spyder. Do not accept the unmitigated horseshit that Velorex are inferior. They are not but it is important (as with any proposed combination) that the sidecar and hack are well matched and installed.
__________________
"The business of life is far too important to take seriously" Oscar Wilde
http://www.warkshop.com
warkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Oddometer: 302
still looking for more imput.

thanks, ked
__________________
If a man speaks in the woods, and a woman is not there to hear it, is he still wrong?
ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
davebig
Another Angry Hun !
 
davebig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 2,342
Keith
What do you want to know ? How much is enough ? Lighter is better but heavy is easier to drive and more predictable,if your going to do a V-Strom there's no metal below the engine it needs a subframe(fabrication $). You have a big sidecar get a big tug that's more adjustable (chain drive), allot of it is do you want to go faster or haul more stuff ?
__________________
Patience: A minor form of despair disguised as a virture.
Ambrose Bierce
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #11
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Keith
What do you want to know ? How much is enough ? Lighter is better but heavy is easier to drive and more predictable,if your going to do a V-Strom there's no metal below the engine it needs a subframe(fabrication $). You have a big sidecar get a big tug that's more adjustable (chain drive), allot of it is do you want to go faster or haul more stuff ?
i am just looking for some info from those who have had the Spyder.

i would prefer a Ural type. easy entry, great looks, off roadable. i am sure the Spyder is small, but my 14 yo daughter is main monkey. plus, it would carry a ton of gear, as ANY sidecar would, especially solo. but, would it be off road capable? i know about the subframe, and the $, but i really like the WeeStrom.

anyway, the Spyder is in WA and i am in TN. he wants a Formula II so, that got me thinking "roadtrip"!

thanks for the help. looking forward to seeing the GS with LLs this spring.

ked
__________________
If a man speaks in the woods, and a woman is not there to hear it, is he still wrong?
ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
Keithert
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 603
Subscribing to see how this turns out. I also have a Wee.
__________________
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2005 Yamaha XT225
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
ked OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Subscribing to see how this turns out. I also have a Wee.
looks like your inquiry KILLED my thread.

j/k. thought i might resurrect the thread and see if any more interesting comments pop up.

ked
__________________
If a man speaks in the woods, and a woman is not there to hear it, is he still wrong?
ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014