Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #16
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post

Hell, it might even be a pan bottom with a shovel top.

First year Shovel was just that.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #17
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

HOW WE WON THE WAR!

As for old tractors not being worthy ...meh, they do alright.

[/QUOTE]
Old 02-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #18
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito View Post
Better for the passenger too, with the pipes on the other side.
Also keeps them awake when you are pulling out to pass!
kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #19
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,497
Good pics Bob. One the front lower we usually put a plate on both sides of the bike and run a 1 1/4" tube through them. The sidecar end of the tube gets a threaded insert to receive an eyenut or clevis for the lower front sidecar mount. Yes it does mean that we have to extend a tubing structure out in front of the sidecar frame to allow things to line up better in some cases. No big deal though.
This is a means we use to sneak around forward controls ands such on many cruiser type bikes. It also gets us away from the exhaust.
Many ways to skin a cat as they say.
The cruiser bikes whether from the motor company or wherever can be a challenge many times as so many of them have aftermarket exhausts. If we could find a market for stock Harley exhaust systems we could probably close shop and just go out and ride forever.
Only wish the exhausts were on the left from the factory.
Again, glad to see you here Bob. We'll have to get together at some point.
Claude

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #20
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
First year Shovel was just that.
It wasn't a simple bolt on procedure, as the shovel tops run external oil feed lines. There was some machining involved and new oil line channels had to be drilled in the pan bottom cases to accept the shovel top's "superior" oiling ability. This was usually accompanied by upgrading the pan's oil pump to the shovel pump. Only way you can tell if a flatside shovel is a true shovel, '66-'69, and not a mongrel, is to check the VIN.
BTW, Harley didn't invent the disc brake until '72, using banana calipers in the front of FLHs until the last '84, and in the rear until early '81.

Here's a pic of the '69 FL I restored back in the '80s.

gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #21
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Agreed on all points but oil lines and oil pumps don't amount to much and the murkiness there of as I've seen some odd Shovel to Evo transition motors, some claimed to be factory Evo bottom with Shovel top end, one thing for certain Harley is not known for clean sheet designs and haven't reinvented the wheel on a lot of their "new" motors (Vrod and new mid size bikes some of the exceptions) through out their long history.

BTW your 69 was a good looking bike and is that Nubble Light in the background?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #22
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post

BTW your 69 was a good looking bike and is that Nubble Light in the background?

Thanks.
Yeah, York, Me. When I was a scuba instructor, I use to take some of my classes there for their checkout dives.

Bob, sorry for the hijack.

More pics, please!!
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #23
warkshop OP
uncbob

Oddometer: 567
Wow, love that restored Gen/shovel. I've had a big soft spot in my heart for them since i had one way back when. In fact if i had not been able to find my old ULH and '66-'69 was my next choice,,,just wasn't sure about the fancy modern upgrades,,,rear suspension (why?) electric start,,,,foot shift,,,such needless froo fraa! 'Course i could have built a rigid without all things i find redundant.

All in all i absolutely love the big flattie. Love the sound, love the ride, love the sense of satisfaction lighting it up 3rd kick from cold and one or two when hot. And even shifting the crazy thing brings satisfaction,,,,it is a skill! Heck i even like fixing it on the side of the road,,,not as much in the rain,,,hahahahha!

And i think the Ural guys are nuts!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #24
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,604
Bob, Carl and the enigmatic Luke

Ok nostalgia dudes I encountered these dudes in Rochester MN getting gas I had no camera so I went home and got one and tracked them down.When I saw them getting gas across the street from a coffee shop I hang out in I walked over to look see. Helmets and lots of wooden shoes Dutchmen 10 on ww 2 HD flatheads most unrestored. They had containerized them shipped to Chicago flown over rode to Sturgis and where on their way to Milwaukee to visit HD factory.

By the time I caught up with them and helped around some construction, they where not in the mood for photo's they where wanting to get to Milwaukee on 2 lanes doing about 50.
Nice work on replacing the Ural ball mounts Bob.DB
Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 AM   #25
warkshop OP
uncbob

Quote:
Nice work on replacing the Ural ball mounts Bob.DB
Thank you, i am surprised this act of heresy/defilement has not raised the ire of 'the faithful'. Such a sensitive bunch. No sense of humor at all.

De-balling Urals, yes having nuts and being nuts are two entirely different things!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #26
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by warkshop View Post
Thank you, i am surprised this act of heresy/defilement has not raised the ire of 'the faithful'. Such a sensitive bunch. No sense of humor at all.

De-balling Urals, yes having nuts and being nuts are two entirely different things!

Thankfully I'm not one of "the faithful", cuz I find it goddam hilarious to see an old coot getting all teary-eyed nostalgic about a 70 year old flathead in the same breath as he bitches about modern reproductions of something very similar, but with overhead valves, EFI and better brakes.

Howz that for heresy?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #27
warkshop OP
uncbob

I can take joke,,,,,unlike some. I am also quite willingly accept that i am riding something with many faults,,go ahead, poke fun,,,i don't mind,,,at all. But,,,it is nothing like a Ural except it has 2 wheels. Mine you have know how to kick start,,,and shift,,,and keep out of the ditch,,all challenging,,,,that is what i like!

The fact that many who worship the Russian iron can not seem to accept the shortcomings of their bikes and are so sensitive about it,,,,that to me is hard to understand. Folks who can't take a joke can be awfully tiring. Sooo serious.

Just to be clear why i have no love for Urals. I personally know 2 fellows who bought new 2012 Urals, from a respected dealer in the N.E. This assumes they were properly 'set up'. One has blown one motor, not long after taking delivery, he is very elderly and barely rides anymore,,,so only one. The other fellow has blown 2 motors. His second seems to be holding up as the gurus in Washington blue print rebuilt it. Now for the $s these bike are commanding new should one have to put up with this? Should my friends experiences be ignored? An amazing side note is that fellow number two is hopelessly in love with his Ural,,,,i guess like me and my old flattie....defies reason. Bottomline, he's happy, i'm happy.

Now since these are the only two people i know who have bought new Urals it is a poor statistical sampling,,,,,but from where i sit that is a 100 percent fail rate.

I am not an old coot! I am a spanking young 63 year old.

Oh,,,and if one wants EFI, overhead valves (highly over-rated) and better brakes there are sooooooo many better choices,,,,see above.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #28
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,118
FWIW, if I was spending that kind of money on sompin that needed constant "tinkering with" it would be the authentic antique.

Edit; OTOH, I'd buy a brand new Willys CJ2a in a heartbeat, but it would have to have EFI, disc brakes and (unlike Ural) a modern 5-speed transmission)

JustKip screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 08:48 AM
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #29
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by warkshop View Post
The fact that many who worship the Russian iron can not seem to accept the shortcomings of their bikes and are so sensitive about it,,,,that to me is hard to understand. Folks who can't take a joke can be awfully tiring. Sooo serious.
You don't seem to understand its not about a Urals limitations or shortcomings, its about your proliferation of "humorous" exaggerations, and insulting comments about Ural owners.
Would you like it if Ural owners were constantly making snarky remarks about your builds and customers?

I actually like the rigs your building and appreciate them, I also think your opinions and and experiences have value, it's just that I would prefer to be able to enjoy this forum and your threads without seeing my choices and preferences mocked everywhere I look.

Is that too much to ask?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #30
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,604
Kicking Bob around

WTF the threads about Bob mounting a Ural on a shovelhead nothing else, giving him foilhead sensitivity training is pointless.Is it the air in the PNW that causes all these negative vibes .
Urals are great at what they do and can't you be flattered that the best sidecar builders in the country copy the tub shape and get over Bobs indifference ?