User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
Trailduster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
trike conversions

Just wondering if anyone has any experience having a trike conversion done on their bike? Due to some physical problems thinking about doing this with my Road King. At this point am wanting a independent suspension but am open to brands. As said just wondering.
Trailduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,315
The cost of a trike conversion, with reverse gear, plus the value of your road King would get you a long way towards a new water cooled TriGlide.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
warkshop
uncbob

Oddometer: 586
Beware the training wheel setups that call themselves trike kits,,,4 wheels do not make a trike. I have sold many sidecars to folk who tried those nasty things first and wished they hadn't wasted their hard earned dollars.

Good quality, properly installed trike conversions do a great job. Those clever folks from Canada, with a shop down here now, Liehmann (sic, no doubt) offer and excellent product and well proven over a very long time frame.

I would also say that you can get a lot more bang for the buck with a sidecar, even a high end sidecar installed is markedly less dollars than a decent trike kit, more passenger comfort and the flexibility of being able to change either bike or hack down the road if you chose. Plus you can take 2 passengers if you chose,,,or fill the tub with groceries.

Being a die hard sidecar guy i like to say that trikes only have 2 things going for them, they don't fall over and everyone else has one. For many people the second reason is enough to buy,,,,,should it be?

Oh and the other reason, Mama says she doesn't want to ride 'over there' and prefers riding behind himself. Good, valid point. But! If one takes Mama for a nice sidecar ride i have found that resistance goes right out the window. She finds she is no longer looking at the back of himself's head, can stretch out her legs and likes this new experience.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Trailduster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks so far, as said lots of cost true but the try glides are live axles. Have ridden them and compared to a independent suspension such as champion or motor trike they handle poorly. The new water cooled hd's are a little nicer but still not a complete water cooled motor.
As far as sidecars I like them Wife says NO WAY and she has ridden in a Ural a few times. As said thanks so far for the response
Old 02-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by warkshop View Post
If one takes Mama for a nice sidecar ride i have found that resistance goes right out the window. She finds she is no longer looking at the back of himself's head, can stretch out her legs and likes this new experience.
For some reason this reminded me of something I heard years ago while at a ride with a group of sidecars up in Canada. A couple of the ladies who were riding as passengers had complained about all the stops for sight seeing. Seems it was interfering with their knitting! Let's see you do that riding a trike!
kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
pagomichaelh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61

Not very practical, nor associated with the geriatric crowd, but ever since I saw something like this as a kid in the 60's, I've wanted one,

Or this

Could always sell it, and keep the babe.

Maybe in another lifetime. :)

pagomichaelh screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 12:45 PM
pagomichaelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,557
We do trikes and we do sidecars. If you are set on a trike we feel Hannigan does a great job with their products.
However a Hannigan sidecar would do very well on your bike as well. It would cost less than a trike conversion and provide more storage as we.
Sidecar? As far as your passenger goes she can still ride on the rear of the bike if it is setup properly.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,883

I've run into folks in something along these lines, I find it hard to relate too them.WTF
Old 02-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Trailduster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

LOL I know what you mean,even though I'm an old hot rodder at heart it's like having a T Bucket with a blown big block…..I don't get it
Old 02-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailduster View Post
LOL I know what you mean,even though I'm an old hot rodder at heart it's like having a T Bucket with a blown big block…..I don't get it
Exactly
Old 02-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,495
Have always liked the Liberty sidecars on HD , do not need or want a three wheeled M/C but if, when I do it will be a sidecar .

Good Luck on finding the right ride for your future .
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #12
josephscotthall
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I converted my Softail Crossbones to a trike to haul my dog around with a Frankenstein swingarm & straight axle rear end and a custom Model A truck bed. I also added a Champion reverse to the transmission. I love it but do wish I had gone with an independent rear for a better ride on bad roads.

josephscotthall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #13
toothwater
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Not much of a harley fan....but I like dat.
toothwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #14
warkshop
uncbob

Oddometer: 586
Normally not a trike fan but damn, i like that! You might consider running as low as safely possible air in those fat rear tires, might take some of the harshness away. I don't think independent is the only way to get a good ride. Different rear shocks,,,adjustments?

Or you could run more old time style rims with tall, old style tires with more sidewall height ,,,and again minimal air. Often this issue can boil down to how fast (or not) one choses to go on these rural roads.

I was surprised when i read how low the Harley manual suggested running the tires on my 1937 ULH! Of course lower speed were assumed back then,,,for most folk anyway. Horsepower was also so low the tires sure weren't stressed from that!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,352
One of my custom welder friends builds his own trikes from scratch. All of the fabrication is done by hand in the shop.

This one has a Buick V6 in it;

This one a guy up in Aspen paid Blue to build for him and then told Blue to just hang onto it and ride it because he didn't want to. Crate 572 in this one:

99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote