Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #181
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,004
Some photos from Alessio and Rallymaniacs cause I have to go and get some sleep...

Old 03-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #182
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,377
Tuareg Rally Report - Day 5 (Wednesday 12th March 2014) - Team Dirtpunk/ZenOverland - #317 Paul Castle & #318 Gabriel Bolton

Profi Moto class: 370 kms - 95% hard piste, 5% sand piste.

“Today really felt like a rally!” - Paul

“I’m aching a bit now, but it’s ok - we’ll finish!” - Gabe

The longest day of the rally this year (370 kms) ought to have been the scenic highlight of the week, instead turned into a test of endurance - particularly for the Moto riders.

Heavy winds all day brought in one of Tunisia’s famous sand-storms, making what would otherwise be relatively straightforward navigation exceptionally tricky, as visibility and ultimately the piste itself disappeared under the shifting sands.

“The problem all day as been the sand-storms” says Paul “At one point you couldn’t even see ten feet in front of you!” and Gabe nods in agreement “The problem with these desert rallies is all the sand” he adds dryly.

Despite the severe riding conditions, Paul and Gabriel endeavoured to remain in good spirits, and made it into the bivouac ahead of many of the other riders - although not without suffering their own fair share of drama during the day, along with witnessing the fate of many others. “There was no real opportunity to stop to eat” says Paul “There were riders everywhere running out of fuel, or lost in the sand storms... “We saw one girl had crashed, and heard another rider had been hit by a [local] car.”

The infamous ‘Silles Pass’ through the mountains gave neither rider any real cause for concern “It was a piece of cake actually” grins Gabriel “But then that’s exactly our sort of riding.” Paul was a little less enamored “There’s a time when a man has to get off his bike and push it... that was one of those times!” he laughs.

However, the drama started soon after in the final sector before the finish “I ran out of fuel” says Gabe glumly. Despite being refueled by his service team prior to starting the last third of the day, it turns out they had not dispensed quite enough fuel, and Gabe ground to a halt in the middle of a sand storm amongst the dunes, not far from the finish of the special stage.

“The sand storm was so severe at that point that we couldn’t [safely] syphon any fuel from Paul’s bike” Gabe explains. “Fortunately after a while, two riders from the Orga[nisation] came by and although they were low on fuel themselves, offered me a litre which was just enough to make it to the fuel station after the finish...” “Although I had to tow him the final hundred yards!” adds Paul with a smirk. “I’d say overall we only wasted about forty-five minutes” Gabe concludes.

Not only were the weather conditions physically punishing, but the navigation became increasingly difficult as the day wore on, as the tracks and any other points of reference disappeared under the shifting sands and clouds of dust. After his disappointment regarding the previous day’s stage “There is no doubt that today felt much more like a rally!” exclaims Paul.

ends.

Paul - #317:

Stage result: day 5/7: 25th (5h13m45s)

Overall position: day 5/7: 23rd

Photo:

Links: www.dirtpunk.co.uk

Gabe -#318:

Stage result: day 5/7: 24th (5h13m16s)

Overall position: day 5/7: 22nd

Photo:

Links: www.zenoverland.com
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #183
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Tuareg Rally Report - Day 5 (Wednesday 12th March 2014) - #47 Tony Landh

Profi Moto class: 370 kms - 95% hard piste, 5% sand piste.

“I'll defend my position”

Stage 5 totaling 370 kilometers is the longest of the rally this year - featuring a long navigation stage interspersed with three more technical timed sectors, through some of the best scenery Tunisia has to offer.

Unfortunately heavy winds all day brought in one of Tunisia’s famous sand-storms, making what would otherwise be relatively straightforward navigation exceptionally tricky, as visibility and ultimately the piste itself disappeared under the shifting sands.

“I still consider the navigation my weakest point” says Tony, “And today it was particularly difficult due to the weather. “I had no option but to take it easy, and was caught by a couple of [Torque Racing teammate] riders who were riding more smoothly.”

While for some, the temptation in such circumstances might be to follow along with other riders, Tony is adamant that he relies solely on his own skills “I simply can’t do that - it’s just another thing to concentrate on, and causes confusion - I would much rather ride at my own pace.”

“The weather slowed the pace considerably today - because you simply didn’t know what was underneath the shifting sand” he continues. Fortunately, despite the worsening conditions, Tony was able to stay ahead of the pack although he feared the back-markers would really struggle as the day wore on: “The wind was terrible, with drifting sand all over the roads and piste - eventually you couldn’t see the track at all... “It reminded me a lot of the snow in Sweden!”

The highlight of the day’s route for the Moto Profi riders only, is the ‘Silles Pass’ - a narrow rocky trail through the mountains in the latter half of the stage and that despite the technical going, at least provided some respite from the wind and sand. “I had no problems there” says Tony “This year I was fortunate to arrive at that point early enough to pass straight through without any difficulty, or be held up by any other riders.”

He did however suffer a delay when once again he had trouble with his navigation tower. “It was completely my fault” he admits “I hit the ground once today and everything came loose - they tried to repair it at the refuel/service point, but after only three or four kilometers it came loose again - fortunately I was able to hold it together with some duct-tape and it lasted until the end” he smiles.

“Overall it was a good days’ work” he surmises “There are plenty of other riders still out there who are struggling [with the conditions].” Regarding the remainder of the rally, Tony is realistic “I don’t feel there is any point in pushing for a higher position now” he says “I am happy with my performance this year, while the riders ahead of me are all very much faster than I am - so unless they have a mechanical issue, I do not see how I can improve now.” As the rally heads once again into the dunes to the east and south of Douz, Tony will now concentrate on defending his overall position.

ends.

Stage result: day 5/7: 13th (4h40m09s)

Overall position: day 5/7: 6th

Photo:

Links: www.facebook.com/landhofracing Youtube: alwaysktm
Old 03-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #184
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Screw sleep. I will upload more

Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #185
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,554

thats nice
Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 AM   #186
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
Dimitri, thanks for the photos.
Jenny, big thanks for the reports.

A drink for a man who can tell me witch tank this is:

Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:07 AM   #187
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Dimitri, thanks for the photos.
Jenny, big thanks for the reports.

A drink for a man who can tell me witch tank this is:

Clarke tank for Beta. Can also fit on the late 2013 models if you make a little bracket.

Fitted mine on my 300 2stroke

Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 AM   #188
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Clarke tank for Beta. Can also fit on the late 2013 models if you make a little bracket.

Should be difficult to navigate having the roadbook at that angle tehdutchie

What's the story behind the damage??
Old 03-13-2014, 03:28 AM   #189
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

I think the hotel has been listening to our complaints and wicked up the wifi just a little - I've managed to upload a few more photos the morning at least...

Intermediate report - Day 6

If yesterday's sand-storms weren't enough, early this morning (Day 6) the heavens opened, and the competitors woke to the sound of rain drops on their windows (or tents), together with puddles in the bivouac and ominously grey skies - split every so often with a bolt of lightning!

By the start (9am for Moto Profi), the rain had eased at least, but the sand was very wet, and soon cut up as the first few bikes passed into the dunes - it is going to be hard work for the riders today...

Clad in rain gear - Team Dirtpunk #317 & #318 were ready for what was perfect conditions for the Brits - "It will be just like the Weston Beach Race" grins Gabe:

Tony Landh helping a fellow competitor at the start:

Tony is only one minute ahead of the next rider in the overall standings (fellow Swede and good friend #46 Stefan Andersson) so cannot let up at all today in defense of his 6th position - "Of course we're used to riding in these conditions in Sweden!" he laughs.

Jx
Old 03-13-2014, 03:49 AM   #190
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Meanwhile, back in the bivvy - a few snaps from the past couple of days...

The evening of stage 4:

After head gasket problems on day 3, Swedish rider #48 Mattias Eriksson elected to change his engine for a spare overnight, only for the sump plug to drop out during stage 4 and lock up the gearbox... after a trip back to the start/refuel on the meat wagon, it was back to the bivvy and another long night (Carl Hagenblad is his mechanic this year) replacing the head gasket in the original engine, and refitting that...

Day 5 was a shortish transport route for the Service crews, and the Torque Racing team truck left the bivouac straight after the bikes had left in the opposite direction for the start of the stage.

I got another opportunity to ride the LC4-50 - the 'Liaison buster' as KTMmitch has billed it - from Nefta back to Douz, and I have to say, it was indeed pretty comfortable, even riding across the dry lake leaning at 30° in the strong wind... I caught up with Donna and Mattias in the truck, and stopped for a coffee at a roadside cafe:

Pressing on, we actually arrived at the hotel in Douz baefore 11am to set up in plenty of time... of course Donna (and Mattias) needed some refreshment before the work began...

(Yes, they are drinking pints at 10.50 in the morning!!!)

Along with helping with bike preparation and rider assistance, throughout the rally, Donna has also been preparing an excellent afternoon/early evening meal for the Torque Racing riders when they get in each day - it is particularly welcome as the Orga don't 'allow' you to have dinner in the hotel restaurant before the Competitors Briefing each evening at 8pm... much to the frustration of anyone who fancies an early night and a meal*

*I would add that on the whole, while the wifi is rubbish - the food in the rally HQ hotel in Douz is very good - a wide choice and buffet service means it is worth waiting up for ;o)

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 03:58 AM
Old 03-13-2014, 04:03 AM   #191
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Keep the reports coming Jenny
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 AM   #192
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
Excellent on-scene reporting again Jenny!

And good luck on those last days to all the racers, you've almost made it!

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #193
640 Armageddon
-oo-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnEwo6kJlVY#t=153
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #194
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Looks like a Canyongate at the Tuareg. Hard to believe that the intended course would be that one?!? Rally bikes falling over nasty rocks = hard times for the tanks (and the knees ofthe guys that get sandwiched)

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #195
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post

Cheers mate.
I'm familiar with the Clarke, I thought it may be some exotica. I wonder if that tank is enough for Tuareg. Betas are thirsty.
I'm probably going to get the 12l IMS for my '13. 400.

As you were.
Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote