ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
das Rider OP
Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer: 719
The First Cycoactive GPS Ride Report PNW

I am filing the first Cycoactive/Touratech GPS Ride Report for 2005 with a heavy heart. In a word I can describe it as WET. Well the part I saw anyway, which was just the first waypoint of the first route, at Enumclaw.

It all started early this morning with; weather reports, radar images, and email and PMs to the intrepid souls I would start this adventure with. Right from the start I knew it would be wet, rain was in the forecast and on radar.

We lost our first soul before the trip began, it was too wet for him. Four of us decided to ride to the rendezvous point. So we gathered our courage and headed off into the storm. Four GSs, an 1100, an 1150, an 1150 Adventure, and a 1200 sat in the rain outside the Burger King in Renton as we sized each other up. This was a hardy crew if I had ever seen one, which I hadn't.

We struck out for Enumclaw in the rain and wind taking a scenic farm country back road route. Too bad visibility was down to my speedometer. We rode triumphantly into Enumclaw and stopped to top off our tanks. While inside the station I was told that it was snowing up in the mountains. A customer had given that report to the proprietor after having camped in the mountains last night and reported his car covered with snow.

Now this was perplexing news indeed. How would I break this news to my companions or should I hide it from them, to speak of it never more? I did what any hardy adventurer would have done, I ran screaming like a little girl, "it's snowing in the mountains, it's snowing in the mountains!" Well, not exactly.

Another one our souls confessed that he was freezing. He had not prepared for these conditions and had no more clothes with which to cover himself. He was turning back. Our men were dropping like flies. The rest of us looked deep into each other's eye's, wondering which one of us would be next. As visions of the Donnar Party floated through my thoughts I heard my own voice, as if I were not speaking, but rather hearing myself speak. My voice suggested it was not prudent to attempt the mountain crossing in these conditions. That we should not risk becoming caught in the snow and marooned in the mountains until the spring thaw.

We looked hard at each other and then at the ground. We could no longer bare to look each other in the eyes. We had given up, we were defeated. We decided to all go down together, we would all turn back now. We switched off our GPS units and headed back toward civilization.

On the road home we passed two motorcycles with side cars and up to six additional Adventurers headed toward Enumclaw. We waved to each other and I thought I caught a questioning look from some of them. Where are you going, the route is this way. We could not warn them of their impending doom, could not stop them. Knowing not heir names nor faces makes it easier to write this. May God have mercy on their souls. And may God forgive us for turning back.

das Rider
September 10, 2005

http://laceyphoto.smugmug.com/

das Rider screwed with this post 09-11-2005 at 07:14 PM
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
CascadeThumper
Critical Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Thumb

Dictionary dot com defines discretion as:

Ability or power to decide responsibly.
and someone once said that "discretion is the better part of valor".
I do not think you were defeated at all....I think you were exceedingly...
Valorous

Dictionary dot com defines valorous as:

Marked by or possessing great personal bravery; valiant.

In short....you made the right decision --- smart, Very Smart !!!!
The route will still be there once everyone is dry and warm and there will be plenty of beautiful Indian Summer weather to enjoy it properly !!!!!
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,287
yeah, well, all I know is that I generally don't mind a little rain. A LITTLE RAIN. By the time I got back home, my feet were soaked (so much for waterproof boots) That's a bad way to start a two day ride.

Besides, I needed a nap.

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,174
I wussed-out even before planning for that ride. So I win.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #5
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
I rode up to Starbucks to give tickets to wtrlgd..... does that count??

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #6
batfink
squid vicious

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
yeah, well, all I know is that I generally don't mind a little rain. A LITTLE RAIN. By the time I got back home, my feet were soaked (so much for waterproof boots) That's a bad way to start a two day ride.

Besides, I needed a nap.
A little rain. We know something about that don't we Luca. A little rain.
batfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:45 AM   #7
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by batfink
A little rain. We know something about that don't we Luca. A little rain.
I am beginning to think that I am some sort of a rain god. Whenever I go out, the rain clouds follow me and shower me with their love and affection.

bastards.

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:39 PM   #8
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
I am beginning to think that I am some sort of a rain god. Whenever I go out, the rain clouds follow me and shower me with their love and affection.

bastards.

you need a thumper......

Old 09-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
you need a thumper......

And you need a fire road/highway bike
Old 09-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #10
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
And you need a fire road/highway bike
wurkin' on it.... sold two bikes and bought three this year already..

Im decidin' but I dont want to buy something right now only to have a new version released in a month...

The Sprint aint goin' to happen....just cant justify it for useage.

A Tiger or V-Strom might.... The DL1000 loaded to the gills is looking like the best candidate right now.... practical and fun.

Old 09-11-2005, 04:10 PM   #11
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
wurkin' on it.... sold two bikes and bought three this year already..

Yea and the years not over
Old 09-11-2005, 06:26 PM   #12
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by das Rider
I am filing the first Cycoactive/Touratech GPS Ride Report for 2005 with a heavy heart. In a word I can describe it as WET. Well the part I saw anyway, which was just the first waypoint of the first route, at Enumclaw.

It all started early this morning with; weather reports, radar images, and email and PMs to the intrepid souls I would start this adventure with. Right from the start I knew it would wet, rain was in the forecast and on radar.

We lost our first soul before the trip began, it was too wet for him. Four of us decided to ride to the rendezvous point. So we gathered our courage and headed off into the storm. Four GSs, an 1100, an 1150, an 1150 Adventure, and a 1200 sat in the rain outside the Burger King in Renton as we sized each other up. This was a hardy crew if I had ever seen one, which I hadn't.

We struck out for Enumclaw in the rain and wind taking a scenic farm country back road route. Too bad visibility was down to my speedometer. We rode triumphantly into Enumclaw and stopped to top off our tanks. While inside the station I was told that it was snowing up in the mountains. A customer had given that report to the proprietor after having camped in the mountains last night and reported his car covered with snow.

Now this was perplexing news indeed. How would I break this news to my companions or should I hide it from them, to speak of it never more? I did what any hardy adventurer would have done, I ran screaming like a little girl, "it's snowing in the mountains, it's snowing in the mountains!" Well, not exactly.

Another one our souls confessed that he was freezing. He had not prepared for these conditions and had no more clothes with which to cover himself. He was turning back. Our men were dropping like flies. The rest of us looked deep into each other's eye's, wondering which one of us would be next. As visions of the Donnar Party floated through my thoughts I heard my own voice, as if I were not speaking, but rather hearing myself speak. My voice suggested it was not prudent to attempt the mountain crossing in these conditions. That we should not risk becoming caught in the snow and marooned in the mountains until the spring thaw.

We looked hard at each other and then at the ground. We could no longer bare to look each other in the eyes. We had given up, we were defeated. We decided to all go down together, we would all turn back now. We switched off our GPS units and headed back toward civilization.

On the road home we passed two motorcycles with side cars and up to six additional Adventurers headed toward Enumclaw. We waved to each other and I thought I caught a questioning look from some of them. Where are you going, the route is this way. We could not warn them of their impending doom, could not stop them. Knowing not heir names nor faces makes it easier to write this. May God have mercy on their souls. And may God forgive us for turning back.

das Rider
September 10, 2005

Hi Guys

As one of the four riders who was at this meeting of the minds that made the abort call, all I can say is I lied, and hooked up with some riders at Charlies
Restaurant and had a blast.

Pics to follow soon

Tork
Old 09-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #13
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Wet beginnings

Yes, it was a soggy one on the way to the start of the GPS 2005 ride, and my riding partner and I questioned each other a number of times on the way to Greenwater and during our breakfast in Enumclaw: "if you don't feel up to it, just say the word, I won't be offended...", or "this could be an omen -- turning back could be wise", or "man, this just sucks -- why is this fun?" etc. etc. He was suffering from a severe migraine which often incapacitate him, and I was a soggy, wet mess from the waist down.

Yet like a couple of eedjuts, we continued. Slowly but surely, the rain gave way to mist, which gave way to overcast skies, which gave way to dry sunshine and clouds. We were also rewarded with some of the coolest tracks and roads I've ridden to date -- especially between Naches and Ellensburg.

Thanks Touratech!
Old 09-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #14
horsew/noname
I've been thru the desert

Oddometer: 77
Tork- You need to tell your buddies to get some good rain gear. As bad as the rain was thru Enumclaw, I never got wet anywhere, not even my gloves were wet. My only problem was fogging up the visor. But we were glad you made it, and it was worth the effort and we apprieciate Cycoactive for putting on a great time.
horsew/noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #15
das Rider OP
Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork
Hi Guys

As one of the four riders who was at this meeting of the minds that made the abort call, all I can say is I lied, and hooked up with some riders at Charlies
Restaurant and had a blast.

Pics to follow soon

Tork
Good for you. You were the only one who didn't seem ok with bailing. I felt bad about deciding for you. 4 of the 5 guys in our group had GPS and all went or stayed home. We had a hell of a ride home, especially on 405 in heavy traffic in heavy rain and road spray. I don't want to do that again. We should have back roaded it.

We've got the route and will be looking for a dry weekend to try it again. I feel good about my decision, for my part, I had a great time with my wife this weekend and I get a pass for another weekend. I'm glad it worked out for you.

http://laceyphoto.smugmug.com/

das Rider screwed with this post 09-11-2005 at 07:19 PM
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote