Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
borneoman OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
malaysia to europe to south africa

Hi all.

I'm riding two up and will airfreight the bike from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Kathmandu, Nepal on April 01 this year. The journey is plan for 1 year plus - Nepal to Spain for 6 months and Spain to South Africa another 6 or 7 months.

We have been waiting for Iran visa in Kuala Lumpur for the last 10 days and they seem not interested to issue one to us. Has anyone experienced applying Iran visa in India (Delhi) or in Pakistan to enter Iran? We plan to apply the visa from these countries if we cannot get it from Malaysia.

Roughly we plan to be in Nepal on 1/4, India - 15/4, Pakistan - 30/4, Iran - 14/5, Turkey end May. Anyone doing the same routes at about the same period?.

Zainal
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,830
" malaysia to europe to south africa

Hi all.

I'm riding two up and will airfreight the bike from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Kathmandu, Nepal on April 01 this year. The journey is plan for 1 year plus - Nepal to Spain for 6 months and Spain to South Africa another 6 or 7 months.

We have been waiting for Iran visa in Kuala Lumpur for the last 10 days and they seem not interested to issue one to us. Has anyone experienced applying Iran visa in India (Delhi) or in Pakistan to enter Iran? We plan to apply the visa from these countries if we cannot get it from Malaysia.

Roughly we plan to be in Nepal on 1/4, India - 15/4, Pakistan - 30/4, Iran - 14/5, Turkey end May. Anyone doing the same routes at about the same period?
"

Regarding visas, your nationality is always an important thing to mention. I'm not sure your biggest obstacle atm is Iran, but Balochistan is West Pakistan. That area has become very unsafe recently. I went from Iran to India in 2007, but not sure I'd do Balochistan right now. Not sure the police will let foreigners to Quetta, or past it, either. Hope I had some better news about that region, but honestly it does not sound great at this time.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
borneoman OP
n00b

Pecha 77,

I'm a Malaysian and my wife is South African. The embassy informed us yesterday that they are trying to put us together with a group of Japanese bikers also entering Iran at the same time so the visa process takes slightly longer. Not sure if its true or just a lame excuse.

You have a point there about Pakistan and if they do not allow us to enter since it is not safe, there is no way we can travel from east to west. No point to ship our bike to Nepal because after India we cannot proceed further. Have to think Plan B.

Zainal
Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post

You have a point there about Pakistan and if they do not allow us to enter since it is not safe, there is no way we can travel from east to west. No point to ship our bike to Nepal because after India we cannot proceed further. Have to think Plan B.
Biggest problem with Pakistan now seems to be its western part (Balochistan).

But there are actually two ΄main΄ overland routes between Europe and India. Your other option goes to North Pakistan, to the Karakoram Highway (KKH), crosses into China, and then to Kyrgyzstan, then starts to head west through the other ΄Stans.

But to do that KKH-route, you must get a mandatory guide to cross into China, and there΄s lots of other paperwork involved, so that has to be planned months in advance (you contact a Chinese tour operator)..... and you reach deep into your wallet. The costs might drop a little, if you can find other travellers to join you to split guide costs.

And also there have been some security issues on that route in Pakistan, too, even though it is now considered safer than Balochistan-route. Also remember the KKH is a very high mountain route, so it is not open 365 days a year.

ps. This is a very outside chance, but think I just saw at the HUBB (= horizonsunlimited.com bulletin board), that somebody was trying to put together a group, to go from Nepal to Tibet to western China, and then probably to some Stan-country, but not Pakistan. Under normal circumstances, that route is not considered as a real option, as the cost of permits to get to Tibet will be sky-high (very, VERY few travellers have taken that route).... but dunno, if there are more people joining that group, then maybe it could be more tolerable. And that route will also go through some very high altitude areas (the Tibetan plateau), so that could pose some issues.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:42 AM   #5
borneoman OP
n00b

hi pecha 77,

thanks for the suggestions, however it looks like tooooo much money to spend for china so i have to forego it though would love to do it.

anyway i'm still keeping my finger cross about iran & pakistan, i have about 4 weeks to work it out. if by then is still not doable, i rather ship my bike to johanesburg and travel north.