Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #31
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
a big plus 10 on having a dry space for the front of the tent. it helps getting dressed in the morning and a good place to store dirty boots. I use the "porch" for storage for dirty and wet items, plus have cut a blue tarp to size for the door mat so to speak.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #32
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,119
Some really good input here.

Personally I'm a Thermarest ultralight sleeper. I love it so much I sleep on it at home sometimes if my back is wonky.

I use a Marmot Trestles 15 degree bag. I'm sure I've wasted it from washing too much and it's lost a lot of its loft over the years.

I'm using the ubiquitous Eureka Apex 2 tent. It's been great over the years. having both vestibules is great, it sets up free standing super quick and is just fine I guess.

Here is something to think about- depending on space constraints and desires: look at a tarp like the one from Kelty. You could make up for a smaller tent with that and even have a garage for the bike.

Personally here I come into the fray is that I want smaller these days. My bag absolutely squished still takes up half a pannier on the GS, and I'd like something smaller. Is down still the way to go in that regard?

And on tents, something that is really annoying to me is the packed length of poles. I wish they were shorter.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #33
dap spackled
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Tents and such

FWIW check out the Synmat 9 LC mattress. I used to be a Thermarest believer until I ran across this. It is tough, partially self-inflating with a built in pump. Packs very small. To each his own, but this mattress is more comfortable to me than any Thermarest.

Eureka Apex 3 is my tent of choice ---- if I am staying in the same place for 2 days or more. It gives you the extra space for some gear. For strictly overnight, get the smallest, lightest single man tent you can find. ---- and also carry a bike cover. The cover will protect the bike/gear , and give you the illusion of security.

I'm still trying to figure out the best sleeping bag. I'm leaving April 1st for Marble Canyon, Arizona for a few days to meet up with friends. The I am off in a north direction toward Moab, Arches and other notable destinations (weather-permitting).
dap spackled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #34
StrokedNBored
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Compact:

Tarptent Contrail - very good tent if set up properly. enough space for 1 + gear. MUST be seam sealed.

Therma-Rest Neo Air - Great sleeping pad

Mountain Hardware Phantom 45 - warm weather bag.
StrokedNBored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #35
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,571
Stick the brands mentioned here, all pretty good choices. Personally I'm a Big Agnes fan (Lost Ranger and Q-Core Pad) - That combination is very comfortable for me. However the Lost Ranger is only good for me to about 40 degrees, anything less and I freeze. Picked up a Mont Bell bag zero degree down bag last year as my cold weather bag. Much nicer, and it uses stretchy thread and fabric so you can kick a leg out or arm out and not be constricted. Nice bag.

I have an older model MSR tent (Ventana), very much like the MSR Hubba Hubba, which is a great tent. Marmot, Big Anges, North Face etc. all make good tents. REI Half-Dome is nearly as good. Kelty is a little step down in quality in my opinion, as is Eureka. Not as bad as Coleman or walmart tents, but just not as refined as the others. I recommend a Clip In tent (vs. sleeves), 2 man minimum, and a BIG vestible. I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek also, which is great when I want an ultralight set-up, but the small vestibule and smaller footprint are definite drawbacks on longer trips. Being able to get all your gear under the vestibule and still be able to boil some water in it (Jet Boil!) during a rainstorm is really nice.

Can't wait to go camping! First overnighter is just a month away.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #36
Yroc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Support our sport

What ever you choose, do not buy from REI or any company that actively supports organizations that close areas to off-road access. We are losing trails and roads every year. Just something to consider.
Yroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #37
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,571
I don't buy into the Anti-REI paranoia. Quotes from the dozen of other Anti-REI threads (May only be relative to those of us in the west that actually have wilderness areas)...
So do you stop buying 2x4s from Weyerhauser when they close a private forest to riders because they are leaving tons of garbage and tear up reprod? If we apply the test of whether or not a business is good for off road riding how far do we take it? There are lots of resource extraction companies (oil, gas, timber, mining) that would love to see off road riding limited as they can get a lot more done when nobody is around to watch or to get in the way of their trucks/equipment. It's not just the Pataguccis of the world that don't like off road riding. Some are just more subtle about it. Every cattleman I know hates us....

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #38
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,119
Everyone hates everyone. Buy the cheapest stuff you can and find another place to ride, but just ride. Moronic political tirades and boycotts are about as pointless as our current gubment anyway.

My personal experience with REI has been they totally understand the needs of the ADV rider, and I've never once had an ignorant tree hugger type response.

That said, to get back on track, I never got a response to the question about bags- are the down ones still much smaller than synthetic? I'm really trying to pare down in size...
Old 03-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #39
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Everyone hates everyone. Buy the cheapest stuff you can and find another place to ride, but just ride. Moronic political tirades and boycotts are about as pointless as our current gubment anyway.

My personal experience with REI has been they totally understand the needs of the ADV rider, and I've never once had an ignorant tree hugger type response.

That said, to get back on track, I never got a response to the question about bags- are the down ones still much smaller than synthetic? I'm really trying to pare down in size...
Sally's right on the money with this. My local REI even had me give them an outline for a class specifically tailored to motorcycle campers. They're a retail business before anything else.

_________

My wife and I have used Big Agnes product for about 10 years, and we've got nothing but great things to say about them. We did swap our BA sleeping pads for Exped brand pads a couple of years ago, however. The Expeds have larger deflation valves, and ours have built in hand pumps for inflation. It helps speed and simplify the setup'takedown process, and is a real boon if you're only camping one night in any given spot at a time.

I swapped out my synthetic BA bag for a down bag about 18 months ago, and it's about 30% smaller overall.

We go through tents fairly frequently, but the suggestions of the REI Half Dome and the Eureka Apex are solid. The Eureka can be had for around $125, while the REI will be nearer to $200. CAn't go wrong either way.

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #40
StrokedNBored
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post

Agreed.

Yes. Down bags still pack smaller than synthetic. High end synthetics are better than they usrd to be. But down is still smaller. See my pic above. That sleeping bag packs to nalgene bottle size. 45 degree though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
StrokedNBored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #41
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,380
Just wanted to pass along what seems to be a killer deal.
MSR Hubba Hubba with Gear Shed $244 at REI (free shipping)

http://www.rei.com/product/868771/ms...-2013-closeout

I have been researching a new tent for a couple days, and decided to jump on the deal before it's gone. I have no opinion of how good it is, but the reviews online that I have found say good things. I won't be a super user, so I'm sure I'll love it

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG

fifthcircle screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 12:55 PM
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #42
CharlesLathe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
A Ray-Way tarp and net tent.

I have a tent and I've slept in and owned a number of tents, but about eight or nine years ago I sewed up a Ray-Way tarp. Then I sewed up a one person Ray-Way net tent. Finally sewed a two person net tent.

The downside of the tarp is that you have to put stakes out or tie it to little bushes etc. It is not free standing.

The up side is everything else. It packs small and is light. You don't get condensation inside when it is cold or raining. When it is hot, it is much cooler than a tent. When it is cold, it is dryer and therefore warmer than a tent. If there a sticks around, you don't need to carry tent poles. There is a lot of room under it. When you set it up, you set the tarp up first and take it down last so the net tent and all your other gear doesn't have to be out in the rain.

I've used my tarp in all parts of the lower 48 states except above tree line.

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Tarp-Kit/index.htm

I use a very light, down Marmot sleeping bag, but it is cold below 35 F. And I've been using an Exped air mattress for the past couple of years. It's somewhat fragile, but it packs small and is comfy.
CharlesLathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #43
xit109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
I have an older Kelty 4 person tent that I use for family camping. There are only three of us and I can't see a way to fit four. But, it packs really small and I use it for my solo camping. Nice to have the extra room inside. Layout the gear etc... I can't make myself spend the money for a new 1-2 man tent. I can even almost stand. The space saving packed up in my pannier would be minimal to make the switch. Plus, the Kelty has held up for several years. Still looks new. Sets up really quick. Had to do it in the rain the last time. Was so happy to have it.I'm typically a gear whore so I'm sure I'll buy a new one and justify it. I'd definitely look at another Kelty or REI brand.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #44
iCD55
Not Dead Yet

Oddometer: 7
I chose the following all for their packing size:

Bag - Kelty Cosmic 21F Down filled
http://www.rei.com/product/847649/ke...1-sleeping-bag

Pad - Thermarest Air Rail
http://www.rei.com/product/845298/re...g-pad#specsTab

Tent - Ledge Sports Gearbox Ultra 2
http://www.amazon.com/Ledge-Sports-S.../dp/B007U54YLE

The Gearbox tent was designed for bikers and the poles break down to only 11". However, you have to overlook the dorky skull graphic...

The bag and pad fit in my topbox and the tent goes inside my Wolfman drybag strapped to pillion.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:26 AM   #45
rescueMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
is it really clear and you can see through that gearbox tent???
rescueMAN is offline   Reply With Quote