Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #16
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
surely not worse than the 1st 3 pics. now the last 3 are not anywhere close to as bad as my pops drive and he has a creek crossing too. He drives his road glide up the drive as well as the 100 anniversary harley sidecar.

Everything comes back to what you are comfortable with ... or regard as , 'normal'.

I wouldn't think twice about riding a harley through that, chair or no chair.

Quote:

here is the most technical terrain I remember on the TAT most go around this section.

You're used to rock crawling so you know it's about, pick your line and know the rigs limits.

This will not change just because it is a sidecar.

Quote:
that really is a good question. If I had experience then there would be no need for the question.

Maybe a easier question to swallow would be If I have a sidecar with 4" of travel should I stick with a tug that also was short on travel sat in the 4-6" range because they would work better as a unit? same question different twist.

Current build has 2 1/2 on the chair ... on a rising rate geometry ( which also includes a manual ride height adjuster ) and I run a coil over designed for a car.

If I was going to run the Baja at 100 + mph, I'd go with a tad more travel ... and a different bike

Old 02-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #17
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Everything comes back to what you are comfortable with ... or regard as , 'normal'.

I wouldn't think twice about riding a harley through that, chair or no chair.

You're used to rock crawling so you know it's about, pick your line and know the rigs limits.

This will not change just because it is a sidecar.

Current build has 2 1/2 on the chair ... on a rising rate geometry ( which also includes a manual ride height adjuster ) and I run a coil over designed for a car.

If I was going to run the Baja at 100 + mph, I'd go with a tad more travel ... and a different bike

thanks for the insight that clicks in my head. It's always about the line and the ability to see it. I use to teach off-road riding before my current Job and the line is import there its just easier to find. Of course the track schools also worked on the lines and how they changed based on traffic and over taking.

Yea good thoughts, a nice boost of confidence that I am going the right direction.

DaveBig: I am talking with Claude and he is working out some options, just airing out thoughts here without blowing up someones phone

I'm pretty sure I'll click with the rig I mean it has a motor whats not to like

the tiger is more "normal" with the suspension travel so it may be a better tug. the sporty is a little bit more out there
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #18
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,056
John, I have very little travel on the front and sidecar and I run what you showed as normal TAT roads at 60-80 mph but a lot of these are not as well groomed. I do have to check bolts for tightness after every 100-200 mile day.

The old body.

The new body.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
johnwesley OP
wanta be

yea, but you have a Guzzi. Thats like saying sure you can do it, I saw superman do it once

I love the goose. I sold my last one and have regretted it ever since. It was a SPIII

what is that in the left side of the pic? a T3 maybe with LL
Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #20
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,056
'76 Convert. The build thread link is in my sig. at the bottom.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #21
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,122
Most of the longer travel dualsport rigs (GSA) seem to benefit from having a sway bar. I perceive this as balancing the effect of longer travel bike suspension vs the shorter sidecar suspension.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #22
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,833
Quote:
how much travel does the sidecar have?

being a newbie what is the diff between a hack and a car?
I haven't measured exactly how much wheel travel my side car has, but the shock has 5" of stroke. The bike has the stock travel front and rear, just sprung (and valved) different for the added weight.

To me a side car is something the passenger sits inside of like my rig:

The side hack is basically a platform that the passenger (aka "Monkey") mostly stands on and has plenty of room to move around and transfer their weight to help stabilize the the rig (like the trials bikes in the vid) or here:

Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #23
johnwesley OP
wanta be

With those thoughts I'm looking at a car
Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #24
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,418
One thing that limits where you go in the backcountry on a sidecar is considering what's gonna happen if you get to a point where you can't go any farther and have to turn round and come back.

In this pic here, I'd gladly ride WUMPA from the background to the foreground, but I don't have the chops to ride from the foreground to the background no matter what line I picked. Maybe I could walk it through there, but it would be a trick. Part of that is because of the terrain, part because of the rig's limitations, and part because I'm old and fat and can't do half the stuff I was able to do 15 years ago.

There were several times in my travels over the past three years where I've gotten to a place and turned around even though I knew I could get through. I turned around because I didn't know if I could get back if I had to. Now, if I had a active monkee with me (not a "passenger" who just sits there), the whole formula changes. With a monkee I can go places I'd never try solo.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #25
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,796
I can see where having a monkey to help push isn't such a bad idea

Old 02-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #26
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

The thing about long travel is, sure, it's great to help you crawl through the rough stuff, but that high center of gravity is a limitation for general use on smooth roads. And, of course, the high ride makes off camber situations more dicey.

What I'd really like to see is something like this for a sidecar rig--

Old 02-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #27
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I can see where having a monkey to help push isn't such a bad idea
But seriously, I was thinking more about hanging out, or standing on the passenger step if you got one.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #28
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

I was wondering this before, would a Goldwing type air shock and compressor be good for the sidecar to raise and lower it? They are on ebay pretty cheap. Maybe even one on the rear of the bike? Would that do what the Jeep is doing in a limited way.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #29
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
But seriously, I was thinking more about hanging out, or standing on the passenger step if you got one.
I'll see if I can find a pic of a cute one doing just that. This Walter Mitty lives large
Old 02-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #30
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
The thing about long travel is, sure, it's great to help you crawl through the rough stuff, but that high center of gravity is a limitation for general use on smooth roads. And, of course, the high ride makes off camber situations more dicey.
Never really had to worry about HCG on a solo and on the crawler I just made the track wider and put on adjustable sway bars. I have seen sidecars for adv anywhere from 7"-14" if just graded gravel low and fast is the way to go.

It may just be a pipe dream to have a decent exploration off-road rig and expect it to drive 1,500 on the road heading home.