Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #16
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Can you change the final gearing on the Ruckus?

What do you need/want on the Ruckus--midrange or top end?
Big Ruckus

I don't know if the final drive can be changed or not. There may be different combos available out there from a different model that may work (CH, Helix, Foresight)

I would like a little more everywhere actually. Like GD said, If I couldn't find any more than it already has I would still be happy with it. The biggest thing that I want to remedy is the off-idle lean spot. When you first take off there is a lag that really stinks. I had a quick looky-loo at the carb but decided to leave it alone until I can learn more.

I think locating the pilot screw and turning it out a little would be a start. Then look at chimming the needle a little then a bigger main, drill the slide and play with the slow jet. Once there I think pulling the snorkel out of the air box may find a little more umph.

I'll wait to see if the aftermarket jumps in with a variator and clutch spring. I think there is a little bottom/mid to be found there with out sacrificing top end. Remus and Moriwaki have exhausts in Japan. I emailed Knut at Max Moto and he believes he can get the Remus, but it will be pricey. I did find someone that could get me the Moriwaki but it would be $460

The cams are externally adjustable so maybe do something there. Who knows? I'm having a serious blast on it as-is

The Ruckus needs some more power to ride safely around here. I was going to get Diaz to find a price on the tasty Polini kit for me in Italy but I guess the bikes there are FI and the stuff wouldn't work here.

I may go for the intake and exhaust kits and a variator from Battlescooter and see how that goes. I'll need some $$ first. Anyone wanna buy a Vento?
Old 09-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #17
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,228
On the Super 9's one of the first things on the list before doing any serious mods was to vent the variator to keep it cool, and get rid of the stock airbox and go to a homemade K&N conversion (the little breathers work well as filters on the little motors) or Arreche "porcupine". Probably a similar thing for the Big Ruck--rejet, get more air in, keep the variator cool--just tweaking stock settings and helping it out so that the variator doesn't get hot and fussy. But, of course, everything else follows and is interelated--more air into the carb means getting it through the heads and out the exhaust. Ka-ching.

But that's the allure.

Over here in 2T land, I'm having to learn the art and science of jetting a kit. I've got a larger carb on mine (Dellorto 24G) and I'm having to work my way back up from a lean setting that's threatening to hole the piston. Waiting on jets from Scomo but I'm able to ride around town--just can't open it up completely or I'll melt it into expensive Italian slag. Sure is tempting, though--I'm having to shift right when it really begins to fly. It hits the pipe and it feels like I've hit the NOS button. The little needle starts tearing around the speedo and the front end comes up. Wheeeee!

I better learn how to handle a wheelie.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #18
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Quote:
I better learn how to handle a wheelie.
Don't take any scooter wheelie advice from me.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #19
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
I never flinched and up on the sidewalk I went, passed 'em and out into fresh air. NEVER thought about it, NEVER hesitated. Hit the pavement and I was like WTF did I just do??????????????
"that's what motorcycles are made for"so said my friend in college who i am sure played an intragal part in getting me intrested commuting and touring on motorcycles.

we were doing scooter antics on a fj1200 and a vmax

now mtn bikes were getting popular,i followed my cousin to class.
driving through parked cars in the lot.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #20
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

I've had bicycles with fatter tires than this thing.

There's a wide-tire conversion kit from SIP.

Saaaaaayyyyy...you DO know about SIP, don't you?

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/

In the lower right hand corner you can switch to English.

Download one of their PDF catalogs and prepare to DROOL.

SIP is the mack-daddy of performance scooter shops.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:54 PM   #21
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Quote:
I've had bicycles with fatter tires than this thing.

There's a wide-tire conversion kit from SIP.

Saaaaaayyyyy...you DO know about SIP, don't you?

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/

In the lower right hand corner you can switch to English.

Download one of their PDF catalogs and prepare to DROOL.

SIP is the mack-daddy of performance scooter shops.
Nothing there for Hondas. They are dead to me
Old 09-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #22
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
Nothing there for Hondas. They are dead to me
34hp out of an 8hp 200cc motor. 12 sec 1/4 mile.

I love those guys.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:17 PM   #23
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
I saw an article pre-purchase, that mentioned some variator parts changed between the Big Ruckus and the larger Honda scooters. Was one of "the" mods to be done for performance. Now, post-purchase I cannot find it.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #24
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
I cut a donut with my Yammy Vino 125 yesterday.

It was in sand - normally it doesn't have enough torque to go over a speed bump from 0...
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #25
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

I passed a Dodge Caravan.

Lucky she didn't know I was there. If she had floored it, it woulda been all over.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:58 PM   #26
the gimp
n00b Extrordinaire

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
I don't know. But I'm 100x more squidly on the scoot.
Well... Well... Seems like I heard you bashing my remarks a little while ago. Pot meet Kettle.

Are you more likely to be seriouly injured on your scooter, or your GS?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:58 PM   #27
the gimp
n00b Extrordinaire

Quote:
I passed a Dodge Caravan.

Lucky she didn't know I was there. If she had floored it, it woulda been all over.

Don't feed me like this.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #28
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Oh get over yourself, Gimp!

I, of course, would never do anything even remotely unseemly on my scooter. Why, just the other day I was chiding some ne'er-do-well about his recklessness on his scooter.

But I tell you what, just let me get on my Razor scootboard....
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:06 PM   #29
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
Big RuckusI'll wait to see if the aftermarket jumps in with a variator and clutch spring. I think there is a little bottom/mid to be found there with out sacrificing top end. Remus and Moriwaki have exhausts in Japan. I emailed Knut at Max Moto and he believes he can get the Remus, but it will be pricey. I did find someone that could get me the Moriwaki but it would be $460

I may go for the intake and exhaust kits and a variator from Battlescooter and see how that goes. I'll need some $$ first. Anyone wanna buy a Vento?
Dave,

I'm not real sure an exhaust is gonna be the way to go. You notice that the intake is half closed off? Open that up and the bike gets REALLY lean, like won't run lean. That tells me that the entire system is flowing, not just the intake. Air's gotta get out too, and it won't pull it in if it can't get out. We are gonna have to pull carbs and start tweaking and cutting down that intake restrictor and see what works. I think a pipe would be the last part or the equation, not the beginning.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #30
the gimp
n00b Extrordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
But I tell you what, just let me get on my Razor scootboard....
Stated like a rider who will see the inside of an ambulance. I hope i don't have to tend to you.