ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Imachimper OP
Newer than Noob

Oddometer: 129
Montana trip in planning stage

I am in the initial planning phase of a two week trip to Montana and Idaho this summer and need a little help. My goal is to spend 4 days fly fishing on the Madison, Big Hole, Gallatin or anything in the general vicinity. My trip will leave north Puget Sound early June 21 (Sat) and camp the my way to the destination. I hope to have a cabin or room reserved in Montana on Wed Fri of the same week. The first part of the trip might follow the northern part of the WBCDR and then take my time wandering my way down through the Bitterroot to Ennis or surrounding area. The second week will be spent at a family cabin at the west side of Magruder pass.

I have a few questions, what should I not miss on the first part of the trip ? Ride through Glacier Park or hit Lolo? I kind of prefer dirt roads apposed to busy highways.

Any good recommendations for lodging in the area north of Yellowstone? A specific city or lodge? I like privacy.

Or anything you would do if you were planning this trip?

Thanks in advance.
Imachimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,975
If the fishing gear is coming with you then Kelly Creek , Idaho would fit in, with some fishing and then over the top via toboggan ridge onto some of the Lolo motorway ( rd 500 ) , to Hwy 12 and then Lolo Montana.
Not a bad route even with no fishing. Snow or trees could easily be blocking this route in late june though.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,063
Sounds like you will crossing the Magruder on the way back. Heading east, I might suggest US 12 starting with Kamiah and pavement over Lolo Pass or the Lolo Motorway (depending on snow etc.) Once over to Lolo, since you mention fishing, would suggest cutting up to Missoula to the Interstate for a bit then down Rock Ck to George Town Lake.

Go through Anaconda and head south to state 43 Wise River, south on the scenic byway to Polaris, Dillon, Twin Bridges (home of Winston Rods), on to Ennis. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=ll
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Imachimper OP
Newer than Noob

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarider View Post
If the fishing gear is coming with you then Kelly Creek , Idaho would fit in, with some fishing and then over the top via toboggan ridge onto some of the Lolo motorway ( rd 500 ) , to Hwy 12 and then Lolo Montana.
Not a bad route even with no fishing. Snow or trees could easily be blocking this route in late june though.
Yea, this is a great idea. It looks like Forest Road 250 drops down from where I can cross I-90.

Thanks.
Imachimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imachimper View Post
Yea, this is a great idea. It looks like Forest Road 250 drops down from where I can cross I-90.

Thanks.
Remember that everything that Wansfel and I have mentioned is very dependant on snow conditions. Getting to I-90 on the 250 road involves Hoodoo pass at 7,000 ft, Kelly creek over to Hwy 12 is close to that and Magruder gets to about 8700 ft.

The St Joe river from St Maries to above Avery, then over the top to St Regis on I-90 usually opens up before the ones we noted, and is mostly paved, but a great ride.

Watch the snowtel sites and posts by Wansfel, Handy, and sorebut, they tend to test the snow lines
Old 02-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #6
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imachimper View Post
I am in the initial planning phase of a two week trip to Montana and Idaho this summer and need a little help. My goal is to spend 4 days fly fishing on the Madison, Big Hole, Gallatin or anything in the general vicinity. My trip will leave north Puget Sound early June 21 (Sat) and camp the my way to the destination. I hope to have a cabin or room reserved in Montana on Wed Fri of the same week. The first part of the trip might follow the northern part of the WBCDR and then take my time wandering my way down through the Bitterroot to Ennis or surrounding area. The second week will be spent at a family cabin at the west side of Magruder pass.

I have a few questions, what should I not miss on the first part of the trip ? Ride through Glacier Park or hit Lolo? I kind of prefer dirt roads apposed to busy highways.

Any good recommendations for lodging in the area north of Yellowstone? A specific city or lodge? I like privacy.

Or anything you would do if you were planning this trip?

Thanks in advance.
we should meet- we're neighbors!
'82 Honda CT 110
'09 KTM 950 SE Erzberg
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote