Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
canoeguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Any flak at border crossing re: first aid kits?

Anyone ever have any issues with border crossings in regards to meds in your first aid kit. Specifically antibiotics, or lidocaine injections not narcotics. Do they even have a clue what the meds are?
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:20 AM   #2
baka1969
Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeguy View Post
Anyone ever have any issues with border crossings in regards to meds in your first aid kit. Specifically antibiotics, or lidocaine injections not narcotics. Do they even have a clue what the meds are?
I can only tell you that when I headed into and back out of Canada I didn't have any issues. They didn't ask anything about a 1st Aid kit. YMMV depending on which country you're headed in.
baka1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,371
Depending on the frontier crossing you can have problems. If you have over the counter medicines,never. But if you have prescription drugs, particularly for painkillers or other substances that can be abused, I would recommend that you carry copies of your prescriptions for these. Note that some countries take this very seriously and depending on where you are, you can be jailed or worse. I would highly doubt antibiotics would ever create a problem, but normally to get them you need a prescription anyway, so just take it along.

So, when I travel I have my first aid kit and anything that might be prescription either has papers, or I remove it.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
canoeguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I am riding to Panama as far as locale is concerned.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
You won't have any problems with carrying a first aid kit.
In Nicaragua it is actually required for a car to have a first aid kit and fire extinguisher and emergency road reflectors, or so a cop told me when he was
clearly angling for a mordida( which he did not get)
Your prescription medications should have the backup documentation
available , but these are not part of a first aid kit.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
shu

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
Depending on the frontier crossing you can have problems. If you have over the counter medicines,never. But if you have prescription drugs, particularly for painkillers or other substances that can be abused, I would recommend that you carry copies of your prescriptions for these. Note that some countries take this very seriously and depending on where you are, you can be jailed or worse.
Exactly....Uzbekistan, for instance, takes it extremely seriously. They will take your whole first aid kit apart and examine everything. They were very suspicious of my prepackaged water treatment pills (Chlorine dioxide?). They confiscated a couple for testing. They are on a major drug importing route (opium, I think) and will not let you get by even with prescription opiates- so we were told.

Everywhere else in Central Asia there were no questions and no problems.

.............shu

RR:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...l+asia+rocking
shu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
canoeguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am asking because I met a guy and he was talking about taking some antibiotics (Cipro, and a couple of others) and injectable local anesthetics. He did not have prescriptions and it got me to wondering if he would have trouble.

I sort of figured they would not care about antibiotics, but didn't know.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Cipro is a prescription drug. Have your prescription with you. My personal travel med stash I always have when traveling anywhere generally has Cipro and Malerone(Malaria pills) in it and regardless if Canada or a African. S.Am country they always want to see my script. Never been threatened with jail etc but at 9 bucks a pop you don't want the stuff confiscated. Obviously carrying a set of works be it for bee stings, diabetes, whatever will raise an eyebrow and subject you to a more thorough than usual shakedown. If you don't absolutely need a set of works...save the grief and leave it at home.
On the meds. Bottom line: if the med needs a prescription have the script with you.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,122
I've never had anyone check my kit
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 627
Australian customs were going to take my syringe kit until I pointed out that they were available in all good travel shops.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #11
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,467
I was sent back to Canada when trying to enter the U.S. because I had too much medication, they claimed I'm only allowed to take what I need, a months worth of pills for a weekend trip raised suspicions that I might be staying longer than I indicated. The only reason I had that much is because they require it to be in the prescription container, so I grabbed the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 534
I ride in Baja a lot and any pain killers are a big deal to be caught with - most likely going to jail for longer then you would like.

I always carry a couple pain killers in case of a bad crash to take while waiting for rescue but I take them out when crossing the border.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:47 AM   #13
bens109
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
The really nice young lady at the Uzbek border with her militry top half undone and red lacy bra exposed was very apologetic as she lit a small fire in a drum and we burnt my panadine fort tablets together.... Turkmenistan was also bad but there was no lingerie.
bens109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
On the mainland of Mexico, about an hour north of Ciudad Obregon, I got flagged over in a military checkpoint. I am an easy going guy, but I noticed the situation seemed quite tense, which raised my level of concern somewhat.

They went thru my stuff very carefully. I had to unpack the entire bike. While soldiers were going through my panniers and tank bag, my large waterproof duffel went into a portable X-ray machine. This concerned me, as I could not simultaneously watch my personal gear AND take the bag to the X-ray machine...

Once the soldiers found my meds I was glad I had a copy of MD orders,and copies of 'scrips for each one. A soldier ordered me to count the pills for him. I guess he wanted to see the numbers matched the prescription numbers. Soon a superior came over and ordered the soldier to stop.

They got to my first aid kit,and didn't give it a second look.

They def. gave me the once over, but on the bright side I got to repack my motorcycle neatly for the last couple of days in country, plus I met a couple of very cool tourists from France, who were right behind me.

Cheers
AP
Old 03-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
Catracho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
In December I was stopped with quite a bit of pot in central Baja. After bs'n with the guys and apologizing I could tell they didn't care. the jefe even said I know it's legal in California just next time bring your medical marijuana card. They gave me the pot back and wished me safe travels
Just don't have more than a personal consumption supply of anything an you'll be fine