ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
Eastbay Dirtbag OP
singletrack seeker

Oddometer: 201
Siskiyou Summit to Squaw Lakes?

Hello Inmates,
I am planning a trip for end of summer. I want to go west from Mt. Ashland Ski area to Squaw Lakes and then to Applegate Lake. I plan to take NF-20 ("Siskiyou Summit Rd") from the ski area to Siskiyou Summit.

Are there legal, dual-sportable (DRZ400) roads or two-tracks from Siskiyou Summit to Squaw Lakes? City Navigator shows NF-300 ("Ashland Loop Rd") to NR-2015 to NF-410 to NF-800 to NF-1075 but there appears to be gaps and private land. (Shown below in red.)

The Siskiyou NF does not have MVUMs. The topo map available on-line from the NF website shows those NF road numbers (red numbers in red rectangles) but not the roads associated with the numbers .

I'm too cheap to buy a $10 forest map for a 10 mile stretch. Any good beta out there?

Old 02-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,004
That looks like an interesting area. I've skied at Mt. Ashland, and hiked into Echo Lake, which is further west along the Siskiyou summit.

I think the route you have picked is on the OHV trail from Squaw Lakes to Summit Lake, which is rated Most Difficult and may be closed to MC's in the summer (from Siskiyou OHV web site). Not sure if it continues from Summit Lake up the summit road. There are other OHV trails in the area as well.
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
Eastbay Dirtbag OP
singletrack seeker

Oddometer: 201
Summit Lake OHV Trail

It looks like you are right including the Most Difficult rating. I didn't realize there were OHV trails in the area but oddly it's closed to motorbikes from April to October. Wouldn't the trail be snowed in then? Summit Lake is due south of the Squaw Lakes, where this trail goes. It would sure be nice if the FS would complete their MVUMs. Then this would be obvious.

Here is the info from the National Forest website:

"Summit Lake Trail #926
The trail travels through a mixed conifer forest with small water crossings along the way. Look for various aquatic plants within these areas. The trail traverses along black schist soils creating unique flora habitats. Due to the thick multi canopy forest, it is home to the various wildlife including spotted owls, black bear and deer. Do remember to tread lightly within their domain.

"Summit Lake" is a small pond located on the summit of Elliott Creek Ridge. It was located along the early 20th Century "Penn Sled Trail" between Squaw Creek and Elliott Creek, and was probably named because the little lake, located on the summit of a very steep ridge, was a welcome landmark along the trail. The lake is small and shallow and surrounded by old growth Ponderosa Pines. It lies just below Elliott Creek Ridge. Paths lead up to the ridge for some good views of the surrounding area."
Old 04-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
easygojoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hey

Hey dude. Go ahead and PM me. This is my backyard stomping grounds your talking about. I'm sure I can give you all the info you need. I was up there riding the next ridge over two days ago.

Easygojoe