ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
enumclaw OP
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 352
Need some input on value of a CBX

I am helping to sell a 1982 CBX for a friend whose husband, a friend as well, passed away nearly 6 years ago.

The machine has 35k miles, and has been sitting ever since about 2 weeks before he died. He was the original owner, and pretty much just did a yearly trip with his Dad and brother with it, hence the relatively low miles.

It will need the typical work done to it that a bike that has been sitting will need; the tank appears to be in good shape inside at least, but the carbs will no doubt need a good cleaning, the tires need replacing, brake lines, as well as calipers and m/cs will need to be taken apart and cleaned at least. You get the idea.

Cosmetically the bike is very good. It was dropped by his brother one time, however, and the right side bag has a hole in the bottom. The right engine guard has a nice ding to show it did its job. Also, the left side fairing pocket has the lid missing. The chrome is in great shape everywhere, including the pipes. It has thankfully been stored in a shop or garage all its life.

This pic is one of many I took today after a quick wash. The prices I'm seeing from a searchtempest of craigslist all over the country range from semi reasonable to insane, $5500 to $15k. I would just like to have a fair price for all - I don't want her to give it away cheap, but not price it so high that it keeps potential buyers away. Now that she has come around to dealing with this and some other things, I know she'd like to be done with it sooner than later.

Anyway, I realize this may just get some WAGing from the gallery, but welcome any and all reasonable input.

Thanks.
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,733
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

But, I've seen CBXs around $5k, in running\riding condition, with the Hondaline luggage (or later touring models, however you want to define them,) languish on Craigslist.

Without doing the work to get it "cherry" you will likely have to market the bike very hard to get it sold in the price range you've floated out there.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
A friend sold one like that last year, in OR, in better condition. I think he got mid to upper threes, 3500.-3700. for it. I thought it should have gone for more, but then I wasn't buying either.
Beautiful bikes.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
TK-421
not at my post

Oddometer: 137
Awesome bike!

They have multiple listings cataloged over at raresportbikesforsale.com Most are low miles collector-quality machines but not all, it's a great site just to see what's out there.

Their CBX archives:
http://raresportbikesforsale.com/?s=...&submit=Search
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
WAKTMRider
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi Enumclaw,

I'm in Auburn and also have a CBX for sale. Regarding value, the market price for your bike in condition is higher than some people have stated. 3-4K was years back.

Recently a CBX same year, similar condition sold on Tims CBX for $6,995.

One big difference in value on these bikes is how they have been stored. Any weather fades dial color, and quickly causes anodizing issue on aluminum.

My bike I just listed on CL, and other online markets. http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/4353414785.html

I anticipate it will take time to sell because there is only limited buyers for these, but if yours is in close to as good condition, I would not list for less than $6K. The nice ones are getting harder to find, Those that want a nice one, are now keeping them as collectors and shrinking the market.
WAKTMRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Here is a similar one with an asking price of $6500. I bet you could get it for 5K. With anything, condition dictates value. Get it running well, and ask for $7K if you have time to wait. Might take a year, but it will sell eventually. If she needs to flip it in a hurry, ask $4K and settle for $3500.
http://motorcycles.yakaz.com/1982-ho...01f1u36tt31ft4
Old 03-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,378
"sold" listings on ebay is a good place to start

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CBX-19...US_motorcycles

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
enumclaw OP
I just....don't know

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes, it goes without saying it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

WAKTMrider, I saw your ad - that looks like one fine machine. I appreciate your perspective. I would really like to hear how your sale goes, if you don't mind.

tacosupreme, your thinking runs exactly along the lines of mine. However, I have enough projects and things to do without taking this on and bringing it up to snuff.

Thanks for the links all, and keep the input coming, it's appreciated.

Rob
Old 03-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
WAKTMRider
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Mine just sold for $7,900. Sold on ebay first pass. I had several questions to and a few saying let them know if the buyer backed out. He didn't, just rolled out the driveway.

I did have one in exceptional condition, but if you got the rear grab rail and the cover on the fairing, made sure it was running, don't think you are far off in value compared to what I sold for.

Good luck.
WAKTMRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
enumclaw OP
I just....don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAKTMRider View Post
Mine just sold for $7,900. Sold on ebay first pass. I had several questions to and a few saying let them know if the buyer backed out. He didn't, just rolled out the driveway.

I did have one in exceptional condition, but if you got the rear grab rail and the cover on the fairing, made sure it was running, don't think you are far off in value compared to what I sold for.

Good luck.
Congrats on the sale! And thanks for the feedback.