Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #91
hardenduro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Laugh friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
So who is bring their friends up to crew or watch?

ANders
I have a couple of friends that just might be coming along, if for no other reason than to see me fail miserably.I have to do this because I'm the one with the rally bike.
They don't call us the three stooges of off-road for nothing.
hardenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #92
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,986
For the new guys:

"The Rules" for rally are basically split into two parts:
  1. The actual rule book
  2. The 'Supplemental Regulations'

The Supplemental Regulations are also knows as the "Supp Regs" or just "the Supps". They contain all the official details of the event, which includes schedules, locations, costs, and possibly alterations to the actual rule book if needed for that particular event.

For Magnum Opus, that document is here:
http://magnumopusrally.com/supregs.html

You should read it. You don't need to memorize it, but you should know WHAT is in there. And your basic reaction for just about any question should be "Lemme check the Supps."

Remember that as far as a racer is concerned, you could pretty much throw out the entire web site except for that page. That document is the only official thing there.

That concludes this Monday morning PSA.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #93
RallyBill OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I would also advise you check the event web site before the event date. There will often be updates to the supps, competitor bulletins, schedule updates, etc, posted on the web site.

I can tell you now, there will be changes/updates to the supplimental regulations and schedule prior to the event.
RallyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #94
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Yes, absolutely!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 AM   #95
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 933
Cry Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBill View Post
I would also advise you check the event web site before the event date. There will often be updates to the supps, competitor bulletins, schedule updates, etc, posted on the web site.

I can tell you now, there will be changes/updates to the supplimental regulations and schedule prior to the event.
What is all this reading we have to do , not sure if this is what I sighted up for lol. All I hope is that there is not a test at the start to see if I read it though

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #96
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

It's more like IF YOU NEED TO WIN WIN WIN there are a lot of details. If you want to show up and ride fast and race... then if you get a penalty because you missed something, it doesn't matter as much. Relax, it's still super fun. :)
Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #97
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
The details are half the fun of rallying, IMHO. It is fun just to hang out and race, but I think it's way more fun to try and manage all the logistics, prep, admin details, timing, navigating, etc. That's what makes rally great!

Enjoy the whole process as it's all part of the package, and it is a GREAT time!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #98
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Thumb Educated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
The details are half the fun of rallying, IMHO. It is fun just to hang out and race, but I think it's way more fun to try and manage all the logistics, prep, admin details, timing, navigating, etc. That's what makes rally great!

Enjoy the whole process as it's all part of the package, and it is a GREAT time!

dc
Oh I plan on having fun first and foremost placing is second.
But you fancy pants who gots your reading degree in English, us poor folk who live in the wrong side of the tracks. Well my hound don't read too good and only have practice reading them sticks where is says if you gots your sister knocked up.
I enjoy all of it or I would not come back and do it again lol. Looking forward to it and also sad not doing Dacre this year.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
Old 04-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #99
RallyBill OP
Adventurer

One update will be a Yooper translator for all first time visitors to God's country, eh..

But we can start with Yooper 101:

Don't know what a Yooper is, eh? Well, first you have to go back to your 4th grade geography class and recall that Michigan is made up of two peninsulae (or "peninsulas" if you prefer) connected by the Mackinac Bridge: a Lower Peninsula and an Upper Peninsula. Well, the Upper Peninsula is often called the U.P. Say it out loud: "U-P" ... "You-Pea" ... "Yoop" So, a person from the U.P. must be a "Yooper," right? Right!

No, the Lower Peninsula is NOT called the L.P. for some reason, which means people who hail from the Lower Peninsula are NOT called "Loopers." Instead, they're called "Trolls." They live under the bridge. (Think about it for a while if you don't get it at first. And if you still don't get it, ask someone nearby, that way they'll get to not only laugh at the joke but also at YOU for not getting it!)

(absolutly plagiarized from http://ryansimmons.net/michifun/yooper.html)
Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #100
RallyBill OP
Adventurer

Updated Documents

Just a heads-up. I just sent updated sup regs and event schedule to our web master. Look for these new documents shortly.

No significant changes, to get worried about, just some updates and clarifications.

Side note. There will be a remote fuel location during the second half of the rally. The 3rd and 4th legs are coming in about 90-100 miles. I am working a plan to provide fuel transport services for the bikes, because many will be coming without "service crews". So plan to have extra fuel containers so you will have fuel at both locations (Remote fuel and Service area).
Old 04-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #101
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBill View Post
... I am working a plan to provide fuel transport services for the bikes, because many will be coming without "service crews".
Awesome! Thanks for looking out for us

Slight off topic questions - given i have an 18 one-way haul I'm thinking about sticking around the UP for a few days and exploring a bit (by rally bike of course :) ) and working my way down to Milwaukee.

Anyone familiar with the area that can make any suggestions?

Rodney
Old 04-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #102
StepOnIt
Assitoner

cannonshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermofo View Post
Awesome! Thanks for looking out for us

Slight off topic questions - given i have an 18 one-way haul I'm thinking about sticking around the UP for a few days and exploring a bit (by rally bike of course :) ) and working my way down to Milwaukee.

Anyone familiar with the area that can make any suggestions?

Rodney
Cannonshot has some great maps and a CD (for sale)of the trails in the area. There are prob many more but he seemed to know a lot. I would search some of his posts and recommend the the map CD with all the trails too.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #103
SquadraCorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Really wish I could make an appearance with the DRZ for this one. Why is there no west coast rally moto?????

http://styleperpound.blogspot.com/
BMW R1100S Light | KLX 400
SquadraCorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #104
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadraCorse View Post
Why is there no west coast rally moto?????
There have been... but the west coast bikers are generally lured into the desert. If you got 20 riders who wanted to race one together, plunk down your money, and approached the organizer, I have no doubt you would be accommodated.

Anders
Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #105
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,023
Well, this sucks. Its official, I'm definitely out for Magnum Opus this year. But I'm going to make it next year for sure. Hopefully I can make RWV, and I'll see everyone there.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote