User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,975
Fly and Ride 22 years in the making

I have done many fly and rides but this one is being done out of pure nostalgia and the desire to relive some memories and create some new ones.

Let me explain.....

In 1991 I was 20 and bought my first brand new motorcycle. It was the coolest bike one could own at that time and the CBR1000F from Honda took every cent I had to make it my own. Here is what I couldn't live without.

And the young kid who thought he was the coolest thing on earth...

Ah yes... after years of dirt bikes and beaters I finally had myself a new bike and life was good. I did quite a few rides though out Australia and had adventures that I will never forget. I got caught in a flash flood in South Australia and drop the bike over and over again in the mud as I travelled miles of dirt roads and also took my girl friend to Tasmania and rode around there for a week which included over night Ferry trips to get there and back. I have albums of pictures and notes as the interenet wasn't alive back then but my trips were still documented and I look at them every five years or so...

I logged many many miles on this bike with my best friend on the back racing up and down the Great Ocean Road and rocking up to parties thinking I was cooler than Tom Cruse in Top Gun. Memories that feel like yesterday.

Now the story takes a twist that actually ends up bring me to the USA. It's the week of Christmas in 1993 and I am in the city of Geelong which is 50 miles from my house in the country as I need to pick up a present for my mum. I am approaching a major intersection when a drunk driver runs through the red light and I am able to brake enough to not have him run over me but I plow into the car slamming into the middle of it and get sent flying over the car and down the road with the bike flipping over the car. The drunk driver proceeds to flee and later the cops catch him while I am taken to the hospital for treatment on some major injuries. Being Australian they wack a band aid on me and I am good to go... (I wish)

This results in a check for the bike coming from my insurance company a month later and combined with some money from my work brings me to the decision of either buying a new Triumph Tiger Steamer or heading off on walkabout for 4 years... You guessed it... walkabout time.

Now the time from that point on has many many stories and life experiences but lets just say for now that my beautiful wife changes all my plans when I met her while on my walkabout and here I am today.

Now in a twist of fate right here on ADVrider back in November of 2013 one of the inmates here posts up a rare low milage mint condition (for a 23 year old bike) CBR1000F and I can't help but think I need to go do a fly and ride across the USA and add this beauty to my stable for nothing more than the memories it will bring back and to see some of the USA I haven't yet seen.

So on April 10th I will be boarding a plane to Columbus Ohio to meet Lonnie (current owner) and start my next adventure as I spend 5 days riding across the great USA.

My flight is booked and the bike sits in wait for me as I start planning a route from Columbus to Phoenix and now I hope to get some advice or tips on what to see and what route to take as I plan my next great adventure and hope to bring some of you fine folks along with me.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 AM   #2
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,209
Very Cool

Wow, now that's a trip down memory lane. Good luck on the trip and enjoy.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Some things were meant to be. This looks like one. I look forward to your story.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
head south to the mountains of Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee....Deal's Gap and Cherahola Skyway. From there head west. Go to Birmingham, Alabama and visit the Barber Track and Museum. The largest motorcycle collection in the US and possibly the world. Then continue your western trek. Spend some time riding the roads in Northern/central Arkansas. Then head to the Texas hill country, which is west of Austin. In Austin, check out the music scene and the Circuit of the Americas. From there head into New Mexico and finally into Arizona and Phoenix. If you have time, head north of Phoenix to the Grand Canyon.

that's the route I would take....but I'm not sure 5 days will be enough time for all that, so you may have to skip something. all depends on how much time you want to spend in one spot I guess.

enjoy the trip and post up a report! G'day mate......
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Cool bike, skinny kid

Great story, except the drunk driver and hospital part...

That is a great looking bike. Looking forward to reading about the adventure in April. Kind of a mini-walkabout with a new toy as a prize!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline View Post
Great story, except the drunk driver and hospital part...

That is a great looking bike. Looking forward to reading about the adventure in April. Kind of a mini-walkabout with a new toy as a prize!
Skinny Kid......
Damn, he's a smart ass now, just think how bad he was in his early 20's.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 311
This is cool! Can't wait for the rest of the story!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
LDM1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Drew,
Glad to be mentioned in your Ride Report but wished it was a mention during the great trip you have planned. LOL

I wished you had more than 5 days because there are so many wonderful sights and interesting people between Ohio and Arizona.

Signed,
Envious
AKA Lonnie

Journey Bike
LDM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
very nice! stay off the mud roads on the way home!
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,975
Thanks Lonnie

As I mentioned earlier I have done quite a few fly and rides in a couple of countries but to date Lonnie is at the top of the list for ease of process. He has stored the bike for me all winter and even finished up some of the modifications he was planning for the bike as if he was keeping it himself. Thanks for posting up the picture of the bike for me.

Many people may or may not know this but the color schemes differ from country to country and the USA never got the color I had in Australia but I sure like the color of the bike I,m getting and the white wheels look awesome.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Thumb Welcome to the US of A

Great story so far.......
Ride safe and keep the rubbers side down especially in South Cal
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
I can't believe it! You sold your 950 to buy a bike that can't even do a double? The shame.

Looks like a great bike and I wish I was doing this trip with you. Enjoy.
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
oktulsa17
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Route suggestions

My first stop would be the Air Force museum in Dayton which is just west of Columbus. I've been there twice and would like to go again. From there the tourist thing would be to keep going west and hit Route 66. People come from around the world to travel that.

If you do I'll meet you at the Missouri/Oklahoma border and show you some of the sites in NE OK, Big Blue Whale in Catoosa, Motorcycle museum in Miami, Packard museum in Afton, 9 foot wide section of original Route 66.

Stops all along the way to into Arizona but goes a little north of Phoenix.

Most of the original road is long gone, but there are some parts still around especially going through towns. Then get back on the interstate to take you to the next part. Oklahoma has quite a bit Route 66 still around though.

Did I miss when you plan on going?
... I was born on the prairie where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where there were no inclosures and where everything drew a free breath. I want to die there and not within walls

Chief Ten Bears 1867
oktulsa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
bdubbin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
This looks like fun! And you were probably cooler than Tom Cruise in Top Gun... his Kawasaki needed fairings, in my opinion! Goose, it's time to buzz the tower. I feel the need... wait. I better stop now or I could go on for hours.
bdubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Man, that bike does look cherry!

You looked like ChaChi when you were 20.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote