User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #31
nevergonnauseth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thumb

I subbed. I love stories about being reunited!
nevergonnauseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #32
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Memphis has the blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
I am thinking about doing Nashville and Memphis. Anyone got some cool things in those areas for me to see?
In Memphis, gotta go to Graceland, then have dinner at B.B. King's nightclub downtown. There is also a B.B. King's in Nashville if that works out better.

http://www.elvis.com/graceland/maps_and_directions.aspx

http://www.bbkingclubs.com/index.php?page=memhome
Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #33
jpaxx
Rider

Oddometer: 6
Roadside Attractions

Seeing you will be pressed for time you are probably best to look for the odd roadside attractions. Stop, snap and go. When you get your route laid out look over www.roadsideamerica.com a list of truly unique/odd things to see.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #34
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,266
You may want to post something up in Regionals for route help. I'd lend a hand but its been so long since I rode that part of the country that I'm sure I'd be missing a lot of stuff.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #35
OscarZ
one of Gods prototypes

Oddometer: 131
Not sure what sort of attractions you're after, the Air Force museum is definitely worth a visit but it's massive and you probably won't have time to take it in. There's good riding in southeast Ohio, West Virginia and eastern Kentucky, but from Columbus you can be at the Cherohala Skyway and Deals Gap in about 6.5 hours and in all likelihood the weather will be better there. I'll second a stop at Barber to take in an awe inspiring collection of motorcycles. I actually enjoyed my first pass through Kansas, I stayed off the Interstate and found that despite the lack of interesting roads there was a unique beauty in that ocean of grass.
Since you're starting in Columbus you should probably kick the trip off with a Bahama Mama and a Dunkel from Schmidts.
OscarZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #36
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
I am thinking about doing Nashville and Memphis. Anyone got some cool things in those areas for me to see?

Nashville is the top of the Natchez Trace. It is a National road parkway that runs from Nashville to Natchez, Missiissippi. Only the top 25-30 miles is twisty, but it is very scenic. No commercial businesses or trucks are allowed along it. It's about 500 miles long. You can get much more information about it off the Internet.

If you are planning an overnight stop in Nashville, please PM me. I can most probably put you up overnight and show you around a bit. The Broadway Ave area downtown is full of clubs and music venues....Nashville is Music City, after all.....always lots of live music of all types going on. The Parthenon is worth seeing as well, and there is always the Grand Old Oprey and other historic country music places all over town.

In Memphis...Beale Street entertainment district, including Sun Records....especially if you are a blues music fan or an Elvis fan.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #37
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarZ View Post
Not sure what sort of attractions you're after, the Air Force museum is definitely worth a visit but it's massive and you probably won't have time to take it in. There's good riding in southeast Ohio, West Virginia and eastern Kentucky, but from Columbus you can be at the Cherohala Skyway and Deals Gap in about 6.5 hours and in all likelihood the weather will be better there. I'll second a stop at Barber to take in an awe inspiring collection of motorcycles. I actually enjoyed my first pass through Kansas, I stayed off the Interstate and found that despite the lack of interesting roads there was a unique beauty in that ocean of grass.
Since you're starting in Columbus you should probably kick the trip off with a Bahama Mama and a Dunkel from Schmidts.
Thanks for the info, I am a fan of getting in some miles at night so I can save the daylight for some riding and sight seeing. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
Nashville is the top of the Natchez Trace. It is a National road parkway that runs from Nashville to Natchez, Missiissippi. Only the top 25-30 miles is twisty, but it is very scenic. No commercial businesses or trucks are allowed along it. It's about 500 miles long. You can get much more information about it off the Internet.

If you are planning an overnight stop in Nashville, please PM me. I can most probably put you up overnight and show you around a bit. The Broadway Ave area downtown is full of clubs and music venues....Nashville is Music City, after all.....always lots of live music of all types going on. The Parthenon is worth seeing as well, and there is always the Grand Old Oprey and other historic country music places all over town.

In Memphis...Beale Street entertainment district, including Sun Records....especially if you are a blues music fan or an Elvis fan.
Thank you for the offer I might just take you up on this. I haven't put pen to paper on milage and estimated time for hitting your area but it sure is nice to have a local show you around rather than just hit the main tourist stuff. I will be in touch. Cheers

I have done lot of travel from the Oklahoma City west so my focu will be on the east part of my trip and I can put in some miles to save time once I pass that point.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #38
hellboy7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
What a epic start to a trip... Very nice. I can only wish to ride as much as you are able too....
hellboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #39
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,795
Rt 23 south out of Columbus will get you closer to the good roads, and it's not bad either.
When riding at night, watch out for deer
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #40
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

First thoughts

Well I am thinking about riding downand doing the Tail or The Dragon at Deals Gap. How many would say this is worth the time and miles to ride that area?
Old 03-15-2014, 01:56 AM   #41
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Get an Airhawk seat cushion so your butt doesn't die, and a Camelback so you don't die. My personal recommendation would be taking a southern route then going back north then west once you get to Dallas. With a minor detour you could hit up the dragon. Totally worth the time. Don't miss the neat little towns and backroads through the south. I guess there's really no wrong way... Except Kansas... Avoid Kansas...
Old 03-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #42
LDM1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Trip

Deals Gap is ok if you're in the area riding all the great roads in North Carolina and it's good for bragging rights. The Gap gets all the publicity but there are dozens of roads there that are better. I'm a big fan of the Blue Ridge Parkway and have ridden it a dozen times. Relaxing, great views but it's not a thing I ever rush through. The BRP will be cold and no leaves out yet because of the elevation this time of year though, better starting in mid May. We did Natchez Trace last year in early May and I really enjoyed it. Like the BRP not a trip you want to hurry through IMHO. Nashville is a cool place and lots of good food in Mississippi.
Lonnie
LDM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #43
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,266
Quote:
Well I am thinking about riding downand doing the Tail or The Dragon at Deals Gap. How many would say this is worth the time and miles to ride that area?
yes.

If you do the Dragon do it on a week day. It is very cluttered during the weekends. Make sure there are no rallies or stupid shit like that while you are there. Plenty of great riding in Suches county Georgia.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #44
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

Getting organized

Picking up some goodies for the trip.

New Arai Helmet
New Tank Bag
New Gloves
Bag full of smiles.

Will post up some pics soon.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #45
Stewart5533
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Great story, looking forward to the start of your trip.