User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
Wyodrill OP
Deer Slayer 800

Oddometer: 35
N a Parking Lot!

What is it with women in parking lots? Every parking lot I go in, I am having to dodge crazed drivers intent on pulling out or running over me. We are not moving fast, we are in relatively confined quarters. There are lines on the road where to drive and where to stop. All over the country where I have ridden, I have noticed if a) I am in a parking lot, b) a car is moving and c) a woman is behind the wheel. I need to get out of the way. They don't stop, look or even drive in a straight line. I have not been able to correlate hair color to my theorem but I can defiantly state all the near misses in parking lots did not involve men.
Yesterday I just made a quick run to the grocery. Had my coat and helmet on but no boots. Just needed a few things.
After mounting up and driving the bike. I pulled over to the edge of this huge parking lot, 2 feet from the edge, WAY out of the way of any traffic. I stopped to mess with my GPS that was yacking at me. ( In a woman's voice I might add). I was there for two maybe three minutes when a woman backed across the parking lot to hit me. Coming from her parking spot, across two lanes of the road and then squarely putting her bumper on my front tire! I see this coming and cant even believe it. I knew she was going to stop, she had to stop, no she isn't going to stop. Knocked me over and off the bike. I rolled off of the pavement onto the dirt/mud. Then she runs out of the car and says, " I didn't see you". I'm a 250# guy sitting on a YELLOW F800 GS w/ silver paniers! Lady you didn't look back did you? She had robbed the bank and was now making her getaway! Me and the bike were a little dinged up, I kicked her bumper with my leg. ( Thats why Im here with an ice pack on my leg instead of out riding this morning. ) The bike had a mirror knocked loose.

So the lesson from this? I think there are two:
1) A moving target is harder to hit than one standing still. Don't stop in parking lots - get out of there.
2) Stay out of parking lots that are frequented by women. Clothing stores, grocery stores, the Mall. If you must ride in a parking lot, go to Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Motorcycle Shop lots. You'll be safer.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
hellboy7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Honestly, i think this is everyones story. Too many drivers are just straight up distracted. But hey, sorry to hear about your leg. Hopefully the swelling goes down soon and what not.
That's pretty much why we all wear gear... I can't imagine how badly an accident would go down for someone with no gear. Personally, I would have gone off at the lady just because she ruined my way but who knows.
The importance of boots is also pretty big when it comes to riding, thank god for my alpine stars. As much as I hate wearing clunky boots all the time, countless times they've saved me. http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/motorcycle-boots.htm
hellboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyodrill View Post
So the lesson from this? I think there are two:
1) A moving target is harder to hit than one standing still. Don't stop in parking lots - get out of there.
2) Stay out of parking lots that are frequented by women. Clothing stores, grocery stores, the Mall. If you must ride in a parking lot, go to Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Motorcycle Shop lots. You'll be safer.
3) If it's moving straight at you, assume it isn't going to stop and take evasive action now.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:10 AM   #4
SacredWarrior
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Saw something the other day that may explain, but not excuse what happened it was enlightening to me. This is a bit lengthy.
I was watching a show called "Brain Games" and it that days episode was on how we pay attention. The showed a video clip where in a studio they had a group of ~50 people watch a dance group(The JabbaWockeeZ) they asked the audience to count how many times the blue guys stepped into the spotlight in a ~1:30 dance. After it was done they queried the audience for there guess as to how many times. Remember this all happened live.
The then asked how many saw the penguin walk in the middle of the dance.
I missed it and so did a great number of others.

They then explained, you weren't looking for a penguin in the dance troop therefore even though it was relatively easy to spot, a lot including me missed it.
Here is the kicker, they then went on to say this is why when the ask people after motorcycle car accidents what happened the car driver says I didn't see them. We say like the OP, I am a big guy on a big bike with dayglow yellow and monster panniers. The point is and the show helped me learn a bit, if you are not looking for it(paying attention) its very easy to miss. We ride bikes all the time, therefore we see bikes all the time. We keep an eye out for them. The standard cager, they aren't even thinking about us. So like the penguin in the video I talked about, we are totally missed.

I am not in any way excusing inattention, just trying to explain and understand. I will keep my eyes peeled even more and ATGATT will be more important than ever.
SacredWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredWarrior View Post

I am not in any way excusing inattention, just trying to explain and understand. I will keep my eyes peeled even more and ATGATT will be more important than ever.
I hope so!

In your exemple, you were ASKED to look for the BLUE guy. You never expect a penguin, who would anyway?

But on the road/parking lot, nobody asks the drivers to only look for cars and they should expect to see a bike, a pedestrian, a light pole, a kid and his dog, anything!

All the SMIDSY theories are nice to EXPLAIN why...and the answer is simple; lack of attention notwithstanding the brain/eyes/expecting thing. To me, it's not even the beginning of an excuse for these accidents. Everybody NEED to pay attention while driving and look carefully before doing a move. And expect any kind of vehicules (or pedestrian, dog, debris, ...) to be on the road with them.

You can miss a big guy on a flashy bike if you're not really looking for it...but you can't miss it if you are careful, pay attention and dedicated to the very serious task called driving.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
SacredWarrior
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
I hope so!
You can miss a big guy on a flashy bike if you're not really looking for it...but you can't miss it if you are careful, pay attention and dedicated to the very serious task called driving.
I agree with you, that was my point. Most people who drive cars aren't looking for us who ride bikes. They should be, but it seems in a lot of cases they are not. That was all I was really pointing out.
SacredWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
I agree with you, that was my point. Most people who drive cars aren't looking for us who ride bikes. They should be, but it seems in a lot of cases they are not. That was all I was really pointing out.
Yeah, I understood that.

I just wanted to emphazise on the matter that we can't compare your experience where you've been asked to pay attention to a specific thing to the real life driving. That and toss my own POV on this same subject into the discussion.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,662
I'm starting to believe that the more I look like a car the more chance they'll see me. Just ordered another set of Daytime Running Lights to hopefully catch the eye of motorists who aren' t looking for motorcycles. Also try the SMIDSY manoever whenever I see the opportunity. I wonder how long it'll be before I get pulled over for suspected drunk riding?

Good story about parking lots. Need to exercise caution in those for sure. Especially malls where Teens hang out - they gotta be minefields!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,215
Stop using (and fooling with) a gps on your bike.

Another gps related accident.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
JettPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Stop using (and fooling with) a gps on your bike.

Another gps related accident.
I totally disagree. This had nothing to do with the fact that he was fooling with his GPS. He could have stopped to tighten his helmet, latch his boot, secure his cargo, or any of 100 things. This accident was related to being stopped in a parking lot, and a woman not paying attention while driving.

It just does not matter why he stopped in a parking lot, people stop in parking lots all the time, that is exactly what they are for.

Mike

JettPilot screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 03:59 PM
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
JettPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:

The standard cager, they aren't even thinking about us. So like the penguin in the video I talked about, we are totally missed.
I agree that this is pretty true on the road, but not in a parking lot. In a parking lot, any driver EXPECTS to see people, and even kids.. A stationary motorcycle is definitely bigger and easier to see than a person or kid. No excuse for the woman on this one. Had it been a child or slow elderly person she could have killed them.

I can tell you what most likely did happen here. The type of woman that has never faced any consequences in her life for anything, and drives distracted, the type of woman that would just laugh at a causing a small accident, and does not give a schit about anyone or anything but herself and what social function she is going to attend over the weekend...

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
There is less attention being paid by drivers across the board. Cagers don't only pull out or turn in front of motorcycles. They do it in front of cars and pickups and Semis as well. Motorcyclists turn into the path of traffic too! I know it's hard to believe but it's true!! Who out there can honestly say they have never made a mistake while driving? We ALL need to pay more attention. There are so many distractions out there these days. Traffic congestion, signage, electronic devices, our hectic lives and weather conspire to take us out. Please wear ATGATT and try to ride with your head in the game.
Ride Safe....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 675
I'm sorry ,so sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
I agree that this is pretty true on the road, but not in a parking lot. In a parking lot, any driver EXPECTS to see people, and even kids.. A stationary motorcycle is definitely bigger and easier to see than a person or kid. No excuse for the woman on this one. Had it been a child or slow elderly person she could have killed them.

I can tell you what most likely did happen here. The type of woman that has never faced any consequences in her life for anything, and drives distracted, the type of woman that would just laugh at a causing a small accident, and does not give a schit about anyone or anything but herself and what social function she is going to attend over the weekend...

Mike
Why do women get lower premiums ? I think that this is just one of the signs of loss of accountability that we see .
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #14
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 121
The missing of what you're not looking for is called inattention blindness. Like with the gorilla in between the ballplayers.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ube-video.html
Interesting phenomena.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 575
Glad you were not seriously hurt

I work on gas station equipment for a living and most people when pulling in are super distracted which Im sure its the same in retail parking lot . I watch them turn off the road , aim the car at a gas isle and look down to txt , dig through pocket book ,start up a lap top,do make up, put out cigarette , roll a joint , pull up pants ect ect and they use their peripheral vision to stop the car. So if you were not there or they didnt notice you when they made the turn off the road or when they made the decision of which pump they were going to use too bad . Ive had them drive trough caution tape (like the police use) over 3 foot cones , through barrier poles between construction barrels , me , and my big ass service van ... not all at the same time yet though . I had a lady on a Mercedes drive over 2 3 foot cones , through caution tape , stop at the pump that had a out of service bag over the nozzle get out of the car , took the nozzle with the out of service bag on it and put it her car and tried pumping gas . She looks at me and said sir can you help me I cant get this pump to start . I step off to the side pull out my elcheapo work camera and take her pic .She gives me a crazy look and I say , Sorry I had to because my coworkers arnt going to believe how fing stupid you are , now can you put the nozzle back and back off my cones before they catch on fire under your car and burn the place down .

In parking lots if possible I normally entry from the lest busy side and just park near where I entered just so I dont have to put up with cars backing out in front of me and other stuff . Most of the time it means more of a walk but I need the exercise anyway . Most bike people here park on the no parking striped area near the store around the handicaped parking areas especially at the walmart , I just dont feel special enough to park there and Im not an asshole . Plus I have a handicapped son due to 3 brain tumors and when he was wheel chair bound I have had trouble getting the wheel chair to the side of the car due to a bike being in the way . But I guess that is a whole nother issue .

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 09:08 AM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote