Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #31
dovetailredux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
The guy was stoped at the far end of a damn parking lot!

Where should he "fool" with his GPS then?
I don't know where he should have been messing with his gps but there were two people who were oblivious to their surroundings in this story. One of them was at fault but the other one almost certainly could have helped his situation by being more alert. He didn't even lay on the horn.
dovetailredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #32
HillbillyfromAL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Parking lots, and intersections the two most dangerous spots for a motor vehicle. There's no fix for the "problem" till they hurt someone enough to pull their heads out of their asses and pay attention. That's just the way it is, hopefully she won't do it again.

One should not sacrifice liberty, for a false sense of security.
HillbillyfromAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #33
DeadlyKave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
+1 to this post. Middle aged lady pulled in front of me while I was leaving a parking lot going about 30 mph (give or take) I hit the front of her car and went over my bike and the hood of her car. I was knocked out before I hit the ground so I hit it like a noodle! only bruises from the accident and was extremely lucky. The bike was an 05 ktm 625 smc that I bought this year with only 1k miles on it.. she was totaled
DeadlyKave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #34
Wyodrill OP
Deer Slayer 800

Oddometer: 35
Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovetailredux View Post
I don't know where he should have been messing with his gps but there were two people who were oblivious to their surroundings in this story. One of them was at fault but the other one almost certainly could have helped his situation by being more alert. He didn't even lay on the horn.

Next time I will park in a parking spot or on the sidewalk. I had thought in the extreme side of the lot I would be safe. No. Horn blowing - couldn't get to the button fast enough. She hit me so fast.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #35
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur

Oddometer: 690
Parking lots are always terrifying. The test for my motorcycle licence was to ride through a large mall parking lot during store hours, out onto the street, around the block then back through the parking lot. If you survived twice through the parking lot, you could probably handle anything!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:01 AM   #36
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,572
I work at an auto dealership so moving vehicles in parking lots is our business. Even with awareness training and constant reminders for employees to pay attention to things around them, we still have accidents.

As noted, backing is involved in almost all of the accidents in our dealership. Someone just isn't sufficiently aware (or simply not looking at all) when backing up and/or someone decides they have the right of way when approaching another vehicle backing up.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #37
2strokemonster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyodrill View Post
What is it with women in parking lots? Every parking lot I go in, I am having to dodge crazed drivers intent on pulling out or running over me. We are not moving fast, we are in relatively confined quarters. There are lines on the road where to drive and where to stop. All over the country where I have ridden, I have noticed if a) I am in a parking lot, b) a car is moving and c) a woman is behind the wheel. I need to get out of the way. They don't stop, look or even drive in a straight line. I have not been able to correlate hair color to my theorem but I can defiantly state all the near misses in parking lots did not involve men.
Yesterday I just made a quick run to the grocery. Had my coat and helmet on but no boots. Just needed a few things.
After mounting up and driving the bike. I pulled over to the edge of this huge parking lot, 2 feet from the edge, WAY out of the way of any traffic. I stopped to mess with my GPS that was yacking at me. ( In a woman's voice I might add). I was there for two maybe three minutes when a woman backed across the parking lot to hit me. Coming from her parking spot, across two lanes of the road and then squarely putting her bumper on my front tire! I see this coming and cant even believe it. I knew she was going to stop, she had to stop, no she isn't going to stop. Knocked me over and off the bike. I rolled off of the pavement onto the dirt/mud. Then she runs out of the car and says, " I didn't see you". I'm a 250# guy sitting on a YELLOW F800 GS w/ silver paniers! Lady you didn't look back did you? She had robbed the bank and was now making her getaway! Me and the bike were a little dinged up, I kicked her bumper with my leg. ( Thats why Im here with an ice pack on my leg instead of out riding this morning. ) The bike had a mirror knocked loose.

So the lesson from this? I think there are two:
1) A moving target is harder to hit than one standing still. Don't stop in parking lots - get out of there.
2) Stay out of parking lots that are frequented by women. Clothing stores, grocery stores, the Mall. If you must ride in a parking lot, go to Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Motorcycle Shop lots. You'll be safer.
your second lesson learned is really the more important of the two. Its funny that a HS dropout electrician driving a 25-foot-long quad cab long bed 3500 can drive around in a parking lot fine, and a "college educated" womens studies major driving her 2012 infiniti can bend a rim on a curb attempting to go around a traffic circle.
2strokemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #38
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 970
To put it all in a NUT shell,most people in the U.S. are self serving ass holes.Its all about them,and to hell with everyone else.Me,Me,Me.
Sometimes I just want to punch them in the head.But I'm a peaceful man.

That is all.
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:43 AM   #39
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I think two posts that point out the danger of backing up in a parking lot really hit the nail on the head. MANY cages have very poor visibility to the rear - and mine (VW Passat) is one. Especially when the parking spot is at right angles to the "drive through" lanes, it is difficult to be sure you are safe in leaving that parking spot, even if you are attentive.

My thought now (adopt it if you wish) is to BACK the car or bike into the parking spot if there is curb behind the parking spot. Yes, I will be blocking traffic as I make that backup maneuver, but I will have a good view of the cars I'm blocking. Leaving the parking spot I have a great view of what is happening.

I think many of us (not just women) are not that confident in our ability to back into a parking space - again the visibility thing - and center our vehicle in the space. But I believe it is the safer option if there is not a "drive through to parking space in front of this parking space" option.

Yet another point I read which makes a lot of sense: keep the end of your bike only a little back from the cars in other parking spots and center the bike in your parking space. Bikes are a lot shorter than cars and you don't someone crashing your bike because they thought this was an empty parking space.

Of course, there are no final answers that will keep us perfectly safe as we ride. But there are a lot of things we can do to increase the odds that we don't have a MC crash.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #40
playsintraffic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I got T-boned by a distracted driver in my bright red (think fire engine red) F450 tow truck leaving work a while back. It was at a T intersection where cross traffic doesn't stop ( i didn't have to stop). It is a bad intersection where traffic coming from the opposite direction I was traveling must cross a steep railroad crossing just as they approach the intersection, very poor visibility. The other driver was so intently trying to see over the tracks for traffic that he failed to see me in a bright red truck in plain sight. I even moved into the oncoming lane and up over the side walk to try to miss him all while blaring the horn. He floored it from a dead stop and hit me in the passenger back corner totaling his old dodge pickup. I believed him when he said he didn't see me... because he never once looked in my direction. He was so concerned with what he thought was the most likely danger he missed the obvious one. Me in a bright red truck....
playsintraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #41
tallnbig68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Bob View Post
Glad you were not badly injured!

It's the DWHUA syndrome .. "Driving With Head Up Ass." I'm not making an excuse with this next comment, but "I didn't see him" (or the variant ".. soon enough to stop") is a common element in all accidents. In other words, whether car/bike, car/car, whatever, nobody means for a collision to happen, that's why they're called ACCIDENTS!

Yes, I've had a bad day. I guess public floggings are poo-poo'ed these days? Bearing the burden for our own safety still beats living in a cage!

Bob.
Public floggings serve no purpose other than giving the flogger some exercise.

Public beheadings do a much better job and if done properly can attract a
crowd. The chop chop solution removes one problem from the solution however can be messy, especially if the executioner misses or the blade is dull.

And like you, am having a bad time of it all.
tallnbig68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #42
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnbig68 View Post
Public floggings serve no purpose other than giving the flogger some exercise.

Public beheadings do a much better job and if done properly can attract a
crowd. The chop chop solution removes one problem from the solution however can be messy, especially if the executioner misses or the blade is dull.

And like you, am having a bad time of it all.
Gee, I thought this thread was mostly about avoiding parking lot crashes - not demeaning all women and debating the advisability of public flogging VS public beheading.

I strongly suspect (at least hope - I'm a relative newcomer to this forum) that MOST folk would rather talk about ways we can ride our bikes (or drive our cars) in ways to avoid crashes. And there is ALWAYS something more to think about. I'm up for that. Not into putting down women or public punishment of any sort.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #43
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
Gee, I thought this thread was mostly about avoiding parking lot crashes - not demeaning all women and debating the advisability of public flogging VS public beheading.

I strongly suspect (at least hope - I'm a relative newcomer to this forum) that MOST folk would rather talk about ways we can ride our bikes (or drive our cars) in ways to avoid crashes. And there is ALWAYS something more to think about. I'm up for that. Not into putting down women or public punishment of any sort.
+10
jj
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #44
Newbedonnie
Banned

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
Ignore this loser. He averages four posts a day and they are all senseless posts trying to rile people up. He should be banned.
Could just be me, but I thought he made a good bit of sense.
Newbedonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #45
Newbedonnie
Banned

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyKave View Post
+1 to this post. Middle aged lady pulled in front of me while I was leaving a parking lot going about 30 mph (give or take) I hit the front of her car and went over my bike and the hood of her car. I was knocked out before I hit the ground so I hit it like a noodle! only bruises from the accident and was extremely lucky. The bike was an 05 ktm 625 smc that I bought this year with only 1k miles on it.. she was totaled
A 625 cc motorcycle totaled a car? What was she driving...a '85 Vega?
Newbedonnie is offline   Reply With Quote