ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
DUBLTEE OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Concours revive from storage

I have located a 05 Connie with 1500 original miles. Original owner "wifes bike". Entire life in garage, has not been ridden for several years. Owner says it runs, but needs "carb cleaning". What issues should I look for since this bike has been sitting? Tank rust, oil leaks due to drying.........etc.
Also, it has been lowered. Is raising it back up difficult?
DUBLTEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,276
I Will Bite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBLTEE View Post
I have located a 05 Connie with 1500 original miles. Original owner "wifes bike". Entire life in garage, has not been ridden for several years. Owner says it runs, but needs "carb cleaning". What issues should I look for since this bike has been sitting? Tank rust, oil leaks due to drying.........etc.
Also, it has been lowered. Is raising it back up difficult?

What is the "Connie" referred to in this post...a 'Connie' to me was a Super Constellation ['Super Connie']...
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,018
I'm guessing Kawasaki Concours.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Trinity_Session
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
I am with Wallowa on this one. Such a beautiful aircraft.

Trinity_Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,235
You guys are a big help...

Do you really want this kind of bike? Can you get it cheap? Are you prepared to throw some money at it?
All the things you mentioned will need addressing. There are dedicated sites to learn from just for these bikes. Google it.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
this is a RV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Life will be good if you go to http://www.cog-online.org
this is a RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
DUBLTEE OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Concours revival

OK guys.....2005 Kawasaki Concours. I have not seen it yet but the guy says it has no issues other than carb cleaning. I have owned a 99 and 03 and never spent a dime on any kind of repair. Underrated powerhouse and comfy too. This one has just 1500 mi and asking $ 2700.......nearly brand new 1000cc comfy sport with luggage gets 35 mpg......not bad.....
DUBLTEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 387
I have an 89 that I got with 6k miles on it in 05. It had been sitting for several years. I changed the oil, adjusted the valves, pulled the carbs and cleaned em. Back together with new battery it started right up. I eventually had to replace a seal here and there, but no big deal. I just turned 100k on it, runs as good as ever. It's my bad weather bike - rarely gets a wash.

$2700 is a fair deal, but that 05 color......
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Trinity_Session
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
He won't have to wash it as it is already the color of dirt. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enumclaw View Post
I have an 89 that I got with 6k miles on it in 05. It had been sitting for several years. I changed the oil, adjusted the valves, pulled the carbs and cleaned em. Back together with new battery it started right up. I eventually had to replace a seal here and there, but no big deal. I just turned 100k on it, runs as good as ever. It's my bad weather bike - rarely gets a wash.

$2700 is a fair deal, but that 05 color......
Trinity_Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #10
muddyJ
Shortcut ahead!

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBLTEE View Post
but the guy says it has no issues other than carb cleaning.
A bike like this is a gamble.
It might only need a carb cleaning and fresh gas, or it may have sat for years with water in the oil and be on it's death bed. The worse thing you can do to a machine is let it sit for a long time without preparing it for storage.
muddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
I agree that you should go to cog-online.org

They have everything about the connie you need to know snd do it yourself tips.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:19 AM   #12
havoc1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I put 25k miles on my 01 Connie the first year I had it. Loved that bike to death and kicked myself for selling it to a family friend who promptly totaled it. The COG is a great bunch of skin-flints and cheap-skates who taught me a lot about wrenching in the days before you could find nearly everything on YouTube and such. Outstanding group of people, though I haven't interacted with them since around 2008.

My primary complaint with the bike was the sheer ass-pain involved in getting into it to do work. The body panels take like 18 bolts to come off and they never want to line up right again when you slap them back on. My old maintenance logs would show all kinds of stuff done at the same time, just to save me yanking the panels again a few thousand miles later. Valve adjust? Better do a carb pull and synch, oil change, change plugs and wires, wire some aux circuits, and a dozen other things while I'm in there!

Only other real irritation I ever had was that the valve cover would collect water on the left side where the cam chain comes up, creating reservoir of rain when parked on the sidestand. I had issues where the rain would seep down into the #1 plug well and once boiled after the bike ran a bit, it would just barely pop the #1 plug wire off and the bike would run like shit. Talk about frustrating to figure out! Making sure it was well-seated fixed that issue.

Look for rust in the tank, working diaphram in the petcock, and do the carb work and you should be good. Oh, don't ever trust the gas gauge, unless someone did the trick of sticking the correct resistor into the circuit to fix it.

Miss my Connie!
havoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
havoc1 is right about COG members. They are a great group of guys. Plus they are serious riders. They don't stand around and look at bikes at a ralley. They ride.

There is a COG ride called the Bun Cooler out of Kamiah the last weekend of May. You can find information about it on the COG site under the calendar of events. It is a great ride and you will get to meet some great people. You don't have to be a member to sign up, but there are lots of advantages of being a member.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
BlueSmokeWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I used to be the Service Manager at Bellevue Kawasaki. In 1994 I bought a leftover 1993 Connie. I commuted on it daily for about 4 years and 74K miles.

The bike was damn near bullet proof. I had one small coolant leak during the 3 year warranty and the rear shock was replaced due to a leak.

A buddy of mine had an 86 with 50k and just told me to take it away, it wouldn't start cold. I took it home and it had 4 tight valves. I adjusted them and it fixed it. I gave him back the bike and he put another 120K on it over the next 10 years. You would have a really hard time finding much wrong with a Connie.

I've been to countless Bun Coolers. It's not the same as it was in the old days at 3 Rivers Resort.

I'd say get it if you want it, likely will be a good smaller project being garaged and such low miles. Getting the carbs out for cleaning sux pretty bad. But not a deal breaker.