User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #16
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Oddometer: 837

OK... So Saturday I took it easy.

Sunday I went to the Speedway to check out the vendors and stopped at The Helmet Shop's new location.

KLR 650 "New Edition"

For some reason I want one of these...

Then had dinner with my two favorite Floridians at my sixth favorite Aunt's...

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #17
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Monday/Tuesday

Got up Monday and headed south for the Everglades. Messed around and didn't leave Daytona until noon which cost me later. Thinking it would take about 6 hours to make the 330mi trip to Flamingo Campground, I failed to account for atrocious Miami traffic . It took 9.5 hrs to get to the campground and I arrived well after dark. I had the 45 mile road into the park to myself in the dark which was pretty cool. Knowing I wanted to camp in the "walk out" area because of it's proximity to the ocean, I scouted out a site by flashlight and went back to the bike and got my duffel of camping gear. I know my setup pretty well and was glad to hit the sack about 10pm.

Side note: When I got off the FL Turnpike to head for the Everglades I found my cooler mount had broken and my cooler had been "seconds from disaster" . I re-rigged my strap and secured it temporarily....tomorrow I will need to find a welder.

Anyway, this is the view I woke up to Tues morning...

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 07:44 AM
Old 03-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #18
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Had my two bowels of cereal and got packed up pretty quick so I could take my time in the park and on the way to Long Key. The stop in Everglades NP is well worth your time!

I failed to get pics of the "Snake Bight" hiking trail and "panther crossing" signs...

Took a wrong turn in the park that dead ended into a historic military site. Didn't take the time to take the tour ride out to the site but it looks interesting.

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 11:27 AM
Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Anhinga Trail

Definitely take your time to walk the Anhinga Trail at Royal Palm near the park entrance.

Fish beware!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #20
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Just after you leave the park you pass this local landmark... more fresh produce than I've ever seen in one place.

In Key Largo I spot a repair shop that does welding.... the cooler lives to fight again another day

and of course I can't pass up the chance to eat lunch at the southernmost Waffle House

My planned destination is Long Key State Park. They are known for their campsites being located right along the water and are in high demand (make your reservation 6+ months in advance if you can or you may not get one). I got lucky and they had one primitive site left (got it 5min before another bike camper pulled in). A bargain too at $8/night! I'll take it for two nights thank you....

The ocean is 20ft behind my tent thru the mangroves (?). There are six primitive sites with an outdoor fresh-water shower and a nice modern bathroom out by the parking lot. It's about 100yds on the boardwalk out to the sites, luckily I have a rolling duffel for my stuff.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #21
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Really nice pictures Bob. You do a nice job capturing places.

Cool to see places I just visited. I was at Long Key Sat/Sun. I stopped by "Robert is Here" on Sunday.

I notice the Campground at Flamingo doesn't look busy at all. Was that just the camera angle or was it pretty slow. Most of the time when I go in Jan or Feb it's pretty full. When I just ride down there in the summer it's empty. The bugs get really, really bad when it get's warm.

You end up with bug bites? I have a few no-see-um bites from Saturday.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #22
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Long Key to Key West

Wednesday

So I left my camp in place since I'm coming back here tonight and hit the road at 8am. Between Long Key and the 7 Mile Bridge I stopped at the Grassy Key Outpost for breakfast. I highly recommend this place! Neat and clean as a whistle, excellent food arrived before I returned from washing my hands.

Rollin' south.... Seven Mile Bridge

I had spotted a TE610 at a gas station and caught him in traffic a little later. Turns out I know HisPistolship from ADV and CafeHusky, small world. He's trailered to Jacksonville and has tested an off-road route south to the Everglades. We rode together to the Southernmost marker and then got a drink on Duval Street.

I cruised the length of Duval to see the sights and checked out a couple beaches.

Key West is pretty congested and not really my scene so I headed north to have a late lunch at the No Name Pub...

Heading back to Long Key... One good thing about the timing of my trip to KW is I had the sun behind me going and coming.

As I'm approaching Long Key the thought enters my mind to pack up camp and return to Daytona tonight. I decide this makes sense as traffic will be less and temps cooler so by 7:30pm I'm showered, packed, and heading north.

350 miles later at 2:30am I roll into Daytona. That's how I roll.... As I'm riding north I start to see pretty good storms forming on the gps right over the Keys - so it looks like I got lucky there...

Funny story (sort of): I stopped at the West Palm service center on the Turnpike at 11pm to refuel me and the bike. As I was getting back to speed on the highway I was hearing a different "wind noise". Earplugs - check, windshield vent - check, helmet visor - check ..... ???? Damn...what am I hearing??? I look in the mirrors - SHIT - forgot to re-strap the cooler and its trapped in front of the trailer sliding down the road at 70mph.

So after surviving a close call with the broken bracket it couldn't survive "operator error".

Off to Wally now to buy another cooler

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 07:43 AM
Old 03-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #23
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post

So after surviving a close call with the broken bracket it couldn't survive "operator error".

Off to Wally now to buy another cooler

Looks like a good time Bob nice photos too.

On the cooler I'd say you were lucky it was just the cooler.

Have fun and be safe

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #24
Litemup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I like the look of the cooler now....gives it a bit of character.
I have drove the Cincy-Daytona route more times than I can remember. I was born in Daytona and live just north of Cincinnati so many friends and family spread about.
Safe travels and congrats on the Ironbutt.
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #25
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Thanks for the report! Great pics. The No name pub what a great stop.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #26
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 522
A little duct tape will fix that cooler up right nicely.

Nice ride report. I thank you.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #27
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by danh600 View Post
Really nice pictures Bob. You do a nice job capturing places.

Cool to see places I just visited. I was at Long Key Sat/Sun. I stopped by "Robert is Here" on Sunday.

I notice the Campground at Flamingo doesn't look busy at all. Was that just the camera angle or was it pretty slow. Most of the time when I go in Jan or Feb it's pretty full. When I just ride down there in the summer it's empty. The bugs get really, really bad when it get's warm.

You end up with bug bites? I have a few no-see-um bites from Saturday.

Thanks for the compliments guys,

Flamingo was about 1/3 full I'd say. I chose to get close to the water so most tents were behind me. Yes, there were skeeters there - thank God I had good bug spray though.

Long Key had no-see-ums but no mosquitoes - with the 4-man tent I sat inside on the helinox and worked on pics on computer There were two young guys in hammocks next to me w/ dryer sheets hanging everywhere.... don't think they were working though.

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 08:57 PM
Old 03-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #28
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

St. Augustine

Took my favorite BikeWeek ride up to St Augustine today starting with the Scenic Loop Dr up to Flagler Beach. This will be a quick photo update as I'm about to turn in and hit it for home early tomorrow. Trying to beat snow/rain coming in on the east coast Sunday...

I should probably apologize to anyone who tuned in to see pics of Harleys and wild BW women. This was my 21st consecutive BW so that part of it wore off for me a while back...

Best fresh made baked goods I've ever eaten! We stop here every year.

I'll check back in once I'm home... only 915 miles tomorrow

Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #29
toydoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
masts

The picture of the sailboats in front of the bridge shows one on the right having a big mast. After looking at it for a while I realized it was a mast of a boat on the other side of the bridge. Did you compose this picture or did it just happen? A very good picture in either case.
toydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #30
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Its been 10 years since ive been to key west, reading you rr make it seem like yesterday.
I hear the ride back into the cold north is the longest. ( we trailered to FLA)
Can't wait till the next installment
Have a safe trip