GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380

Old 03-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Thanks for posting.

I am heading to France in May and also plan to visit some of the commonwealth war graves.
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #18
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,659
That evening I arrived at my other home away from home, this one in France, to the little village where I was an exchange student when I was in high school. Barisis-Aux-Bois is just a little village that does not even seem to have that many young people in it anymore. It is a place I have loved for the last 30 years of my life and always is one of my favorite places in the world to be. Changes have been rather severe though the last years, as so many of the people there that I know and love have passed away…..moved up the street to the cemetery….so many so that it is just not the same anymore. One of the cool things though is there is a new adoption into the family…..a donkey, named Mystere, and abused animal that is finally in a loving home with his own luxury apt type stall. He loves everyone, and cries when you leave to go back into the house. Luckily he has a lot of other friends around, so he is never really too lonely.

JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
Thanks for posting.

I am heading to France in May and also plan to visit some of the commonwealth war graves.
See my other reports.....lots of things you might find interesting in there then....especially the one with Flanders Fields....
Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #20
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

This was a welcome greeting....
Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
JoeFab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
It's when you see the graves that it brings home the futility and waste of war. Great report...j.f.
JoeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #22
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Outstanding as usual. I have enjoyed every one of your reports and only the other day I was thinking we're due another.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #23
Yannick
Celtic Neighbour

Oddometer: 57
Hello JMead11, when you're talking about the D day in your title, does that mean that you came to Normandy ? And so if you did, the debarkment beaches are so close to Brittany, I wish you had told me you were so close from home. Besides the pleasure to meet you, I could have shown you some very interesting places about WWII very close from were I live, especially places of the battle of St Malo and the airport of Pleurtuit, which were determining for the liberation of Brittany.
Yannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #24
mcc66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Great to see another ride report from you. I have enjoyed your other trips, so much history. Thanks

mcc66

Michael
mcc66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #25
Olirider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Subscribed as usual !
Thanks for the report !
Olirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #26
Edde0815
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hello JMead11,
great trip report as usual! I really enjoy reading it and seeing the pictures. I am a German national, living in the Kusel-Kaiserslautern-area and I’m doing Motorcycle trips as well. I went to South Tyrol last year in September, that was an absolute great trip! It would be great to meet when you are in the area again!
Later, Jürgen.
Edde0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #27
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
Had to open some Riesling from the Mosel after this

I remember reading your previous reports before I moved to Germany! I think I'll have to review them again before my trip around Benelux in April.

Where is that 88mm site? I've been to the Mosel a few times but never found that. You must do a lot of research before these trips?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #28
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
I'd love to take a couple of months to trace my dad's route across Europe during the war, but that old devil Time interferes.
But will follow along with your ride.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #29
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Hello JMead11, when you're talking about the D day in your title, does that mean that you came to Normandy ? And so if you did, the debarkment beaches are so close to Brittany, I wish you had told me you were so close from home. Besides the pleasure to meet you, I could have shown you some very interesting places about WWII very close from were I live, especially places of the battle of St Malo and the airport of Pleurtuit, which were determining for the liberation of Brittany.
I go to Normandy often, and I have explored Brittany some also. Always interested in these places, and hope to be back soon. Perhaps sometime in the future we can hook up and you can show me some places. Not sure when the next time I get over will be, but I always hope it is soon. I was in Normandy for the 69th Anniversary, and wait till you see all I did.....
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #30
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
Had to open some Riesling from the Mosel after this

I remember reading your previous reports before I moved to Germany! I think I'll have to review them again before my trip around Benelux in April.

Where is that 88mm site? I've been to the Mosel a few times but never found that. You must do a lot of research before these trips?
Amazingly, I have not been doing the research I should. You would be surprised all the cool things one can just stumble upon as I wander often aimlessly in Europe. The 88mm site is on a the ridge above the village of Kinhim-Kindel on the west side of the Mosel. There are many of them.