User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
traveling about in NC

since everybody else is doing it, I thought i'd start a recurring thread of my travels about our state, so here we go...
this is Kat, the poor girl I convinced to marry me some years ago (she's Smellykat on here)

se has recently quit her job to go back to school, an endeavor that essentially guarantees our future life will be one of wealth and happiness!
she's going to become... a middle school science teacher!

so, its her spring break, and I find myself available so,a ride is planned. initially we were planning to ride down to New Orleans, but after some thought, the Outer Banks seemed like a much more relaxing option

so, I loaded the pelicans on the 950, and strapped a borrowed set of wolfman soft bags (thanks Pete) onto Kats husky 630, and off we went .Kinda

We actually cheated a little, and trailered the bikes out to Raleigh NC, as riding down I40 sucks, and adds significant distance to the trip, without any real upside.

But, then we were on the bikes!

So, we have been out to the outer banks a few times over the years, and find the top end to be distasteful. Too many people, to much Bullshit(with the exeption of the Wright brothers Museum, which is AWESOME, and highly recommended!)
So we decided to take HWY 64 out of Raleigh, all the way out to Roanoke Island for our first nights destination. Easy ride, mostly a 70MPH 4 lane with minimal traffic, and some CRAZY HUGE farms(none of which I took pictures of!
Scoured the Internet, and found a Pretty cool B&B in Manteo (the town on Roanoke island) Owned by John and Noel. Super cool people, with a bunch of history around. johns Grand father was the guy who sent the original telegram about the Wright Brothers first flight!
so, we pulled up to our place, and found it to be really cool

the building pictured is an ongoing project, and the actual house is a late 1800's house still filled with old family furniture and pictures. Pretty cool place.
we walked into town, and found the restaurant/bar open, so we had a huge ass cheese burger and some beers, and called it a night!

35xj screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 07:59 AM
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

So, as has become my Norm, I was wide awake at 6 am. What to do, what to do, so I grabbed my camera,snuck out of our room, made some coffee, and headed outside to sit on the big covered deck and watch the sun come up. It was a little chilly, solid frost on the bike!

back of the house

the deck

Ive also started playing more with my camera, so I took a ton of pictures, watching the sun come up.

then Kat found me.

we hung out, drank some more coffee, and hit the road again. Plan was to head over to Hwy 12, and head south towards Hateras for lunch. Stopped and checked out the lighthouse again. I'ts currently not open for climbing, but its well worth it when it is. Pretty neat visitors center here if you have time. Interesting story about moving the lighthouse to its current location.

then, tried to eat at Pops raw bar for lunch, but, as with most stuff on the banks, its still closed for the season. a couple miles further down, we found a decent restaurant. nothing special, but not a bad cheese burger!

Then it was time for our first ferry ride of the trip. The NCDOT runs a free ferry from Hateras over to VOcracoke island, which happens to be our favorite of the outer banks. We just managed to catch the 3 o clock ride. With all the crazy weather, the channel between the 2 islands is filling up, creating a need for constant dredging, it also means that the ferry trip is kinda like a water born autocross course. at some points, you're hauling ass, then, you all but stop, and make a pivot turn. Pretty fun though.

35xj screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 11:15 AM
Old 03-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

Ocracoke...

probably the second most relaxing place ive ever been. Its great, because there's not that much to do. Once you get off the ferry youre at the northern tip of the island, its about 12 miles into town. Pretty quickly, you come up on the mini horse area. The story goes something about the Spanish bringing mini horses to the islands many years ago, and these being the land locked descendants.
To me, they look an awful lot like the full size horses in my yard, but anyway.

We of course stopped to make sure they hadn't become smaller since our last trip, they had not, so we continued into town and to our B&B. We've stayed at the same place the last several times down.(Crews Inn B&B) its affordable(cheap) the owner is a really nice guy, and it has lots of interesting history. The house was built by the family that started the first general store on the island, and still has lots of really cool old pictures, etc. the owner also wrote a book (Ocracokers) about life on the island.

theatporch has seen a lot of feet!

One of the other great things about this B&B, is its proximity to the beer store! (its across the street)

Zillies... I come from the land of microbreweries, we seem to have a new one pop up once a week, and I attempt to try them all. So i'm hard to impress with beer selection, But, this place is awesome!

The best part, they have 4 taps, and a giant fridge full of all kinds of bottled beer. I tried a bunch of beer, I'd never heard of. It seems as though you're doing wrong, but you can open the fridge, select a bottle, open it and consume it on their awesome porch! And the bottles average about 3.50 each! They also have a great wine selection, as well as a great selection of meats and cheeses. Its a cool spot!
they also have these super cool heaters on the deck.

So, they open at 4, and close about 8. We managed to spend those hours there!

otherwise, the island has a cool nature trail, that apparently takes you out to where the navy killed Blackbeard, a lighthouse, and some super friendly kat's. In season, the kayak tours are pretty fun, and the restaurant scene is pretty good, and you can small boat ferry's out to Portsmouth island (apparently super cool)

After a couple of days bumming around on Ocracoke, it was time to head onwards, the ferry from Ocracoke to the main land offers 2 choices. Swan quarter, which lands north of Ocracoke, and cedar Island, which lands South. we chose to go to cedar Island, on the 7.30 AM boat. Its 10 bucks a vehicle, and takes about 2;15 hours. Luckily, with the time change, the 7.30 boat was just in time for sunrise!

The cedar island ferry port drops you in the middle of nowhere, and you ride through some national forest, and a bunch of wildlife areas. Pretty fun(make sure you gas up on Ocracoke!

From there, we rode down the coast and into Morehead city for lunch and a stroll around. then onwards to Wilmington to spend the evening, and spend the night.

We had planned to keep heading down the coast to Folly Beach, Sc, but with the impending rain and 40mph winds, we decided to call it, and head for home.

All in all, we rode the bikes 653 miles, drank some good beer, saw some neat stuff, and had a pretty relaxing trip!

35xj screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 12:00 PM
Old 03-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
wipfel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I taught 7-12 and middle school was my favorite. Good luck to her! Look forward to the rest of the ride :).

2010 Concours 14
wipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Nice trip. Love the Outer Banks. Spent a lot of nights over there, most in the Pony Island Motel. Great time of the year to be there. Those ferry runs are a fantastic value and great sightseeing venue. Thanks for the memories.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 687
Very nice pics. Glad you guys got to relax. Look forward to your future trips and I'll hopefully see you in Hot Springs next weekend

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
CharlestonRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Nice ride...Thanks for sharing! And, kudos to your wife for choosing to be a middle school science teacher.

Cheers.
CharlestonRider
CharlestonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
Married Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Great pictures! Best of luck to Kat. Hopefully, the legislature will come to its senses soon and start supporting the teachers again.
Married Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 440
Love the photos! Looks like good times had by all!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Very nice pics. Glad you guys got to relax. Look forward to your future trips and I'll hopefully see you in Hot Springs next weekend
yep, you'll see me! we still planning on Friday about lunchtime? looks like I was able to find a bike for Dad.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,785
Subscribed.

Very nice work with the camera.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
I'm in too! Really enjoy seeing our state as the topic, lots of nice shots!
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,961
Very nice photography. Looking forward to more.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I love riding in NC. Looking forward to your continuing report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
yep, you'll see me! we still planning on Friday about lunchtime? looks like I was able to find a bike for Dad.
That's the plan

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote